analog vs digital (audio) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
right now i do not have any audio setup, I want to add SOMETHING, just dont know what yet (soundbar, 2.1, 5.1, etc)

I bought a soundbar and was disappointed because there was a delay in sound between the tv speakers and the soundbar, i had it connected with the red/white rca analog cables using Y-adapter off my DishTV box

(DishTV box only has red/white/yellow connection so thats how my tv is connected)

If I run the digital optical audio off the TV to a better soundbar that has digital connection would there be any delay in sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Don't use the TV speakers along with a soundbar or any surround sound system. Turn the TV speakers off. The delay is not caused by the type of connection. It's caused by a delay between the source and the soundbar. Spending more money on other gear will not solve your problem. That's why we have audio delay correction in most AVR's. Even though we aren't using the TV speakers the sound and the picture aren't always in synch. So a correction in milliseconds can be set to correct the delay. This delay is usually caused by digital processing.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyw View Post

right now i do not have any audio setup, I want to add SOMETHING, just dont know what yet (soundbar, 2.1, 5.1, etc)

I bought a soundbar and was disappointed because there was a delay in sound between the tv speakers and the soundbar, i had it connected with the red/white rca analog cables using Y-adapter off my DishTV box

(DishTV box only has red/white/yellow connection so thats how my tv is connected)

The problem there is that you used the Dish box as your analog source. Time delay due to latency in the TV set is pretty much guaranteed.

It is probable that the sound bar was actually leading the TV, so it could be brought back in synch if it had some built in delay, which is a common feature.

Thing is, the caution against using both the TV speakers and the sound bar is very good advice. However, if you turn the speakers in the TV off (most have setup options for this) you still might have lip synch problems.
Quote:
If I run the digital optical audio off the TV to a better soundbar that has digital connection would there be any delay in sound?

Can't predict that for sure, but it probably would be better. The outputs of the TV are usually in synch, and the sound bar probably has pretty low latency. TV's can have a fair amount of latency in their video processing, and they add delay to the audio to keep things in synch for the TV itself.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok thanks a lot, that helped me out. yeah i wasnt really concerned with the delay in the tv speakers vs soundbar speakers, just mainly with the lip synch i meant originally.

The soundbar i had wasnt very much louder than the TV, (it was on sale blackfriday at walmart) I plan on getting a better soundbar or 2.1 i guess and running it off the digital audio cable from the TV
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Check out the Boston Acoustics Model 25 TVee soundbar system at Amazon.

It will give you a complete system with a small woofer that is pretty decent-sounding; as good as any soundbar is going to be.

Just plug it in and run a digital or analog sound connection from your TV and go!
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page