dvd settings for audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a standard dvd player but i need help with a few setttings.

digital output - pcm or bitstream

dynamic range - on or off

pcm downsampling - on or off

would you guys mind telling me what these 3 settings mean and how i should have them set up using a 5.1 surround receiver and while just hooked to a tv?

thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by web25 View Post

i have a standard dvd player but i need help with a few setttings.
My answers below assume you really have a DVD player and not a Blu-ray player. Blu-rays have more complicated answers.
Quote:
digital output - pcm or bitstream
receiver: Bitstream. TV: bitstream if your TV can decode DTS. Most can. Bitstream passes through the multichannel audio exactly as it is coming from the disc. The player needs to convert the audio to PCM if the audio playback device can't decode the audio coming from the disc. (Many TVs can't decode DTS.)
Quote:
dynamic range - on or off
This needs to be on only if you want to watch something which could have loud explosions late at night and not disturb other people. It limits the maximum volume. Usually, this feature is included in the TV or receiver, though, which can do a better job.
Quote:
pcm downsampling - on or off
Receiver: probably off. TV: probably on.
It downconverts high resolution 96KHz or 192KHz sampling to the standard 48 (or 44.1) KHz. Some audio output devices can't handle the higher bitrates, but very few DVDs have high bitrate audio, anyhow.

I hope this helps a little.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

yes, thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Very few TVs can decode DTS. If connected to a receiver, use bitstream. Otherwise, use PCM.

If you are using HDMI to connect a player to a TV, those settings don't matter because the handshake between the player and the set will negotiate the correct settings. If the TV cannot handle DTS, for example, the HDMI handshake will override the bitstream setting so that the player does the decoding and sends a properly downmixed stereo PCM signal.

Also, dynamic range and PCM down sampling only come into play when the output is PCM. If you are set to bitstream, those adjustments would have to be handled by a receiver doing the decoding.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Very few TVs can decode DTS. If connected to a receiver, use bitstream. Otherwise, use PCM.

If you are using HDMI to connect a player to a TV, the bitstream and downsampling settings don't matter because the handshake between the player and the set will negotiate the correct settings. If the TV cannot handle DTS, for example, the HDMI handshake will override the bitstream setting so that the player does the decoding and sends a properly downmixed stereo PCM signal.

Also, dynamic range and PCM downsampling only come into play when the output is PCM. If you are set to bitstream, those adjustments would have to be handled by a receiver doing the decoding.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

should i use bitstream or pcm if the dvd player is connected to the tv using component cables?

right now i notice a sound difference while watching tv compared to watching a dvd. the dvd sound seems a lot lower for some reason.

thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
Component cables are for video. Presumably, you are using stereo analog cables for audio. With analog stereo, the digital setting has no effect. The player will decode the track, downmix it to stereo, and convert it to analog.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page