Picture of Room Layout - How should I setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm working on my home theater. Just got a 60" TV and need some sound around it.

I'm trying to spend between $500 and $1000. I can maybe do more if the deal is right. I need everything, from the sub to AVR.

Here is the room:

I was thinking about putting the screen above the fireplace but it might be a little too high. I can also leave it where it is if I can find a way to add a sub and the other speakers effectively. The kitchen opens up to the left of the fireplace, and behind the two seater is an opening to the hallway... kinda open but there is still a backwall limiting the opening into the hallway to about 3-4 ft.

I'm undecided what to do about the other speakers. I've heard it's best to go with a good sub considering my budget and then spend on two decent bookshelf speakers + a soundbar. I was looking at towers as well but not sure if that's best for my budget. I'm open to different speaker options and TV placement.

My websites: Cooking Classes and Bail Bonds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Your best bet may be to put the TV on the right-hand wall rather than where it is now. Your room is probably not going to be suitable for a 5.1 setup.

For a good start, I suggest a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers and a Polk PSW505 subwoofer. You should be able to do that for under $600. The 10.1 is an excellent speaker for a fairly low price; a good deal.

You may want to read the Stereophile review on the 10.1 speakers at the Stereophile website.

The sub is available from Amazon for around $200 and Music Direct has the 10.1 for $349/pair.

For the AVR I suggest the Onkyo TX-NR-414 which Amazon is selling for $288 now,
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! When you say "right-hand wall" are you talking about the wall with the windows on the right side (behind the black couch)? If so, I got windows there and which would make it less than optimal. Also, I think my seating has to face towards the fireplace. Or were you referring to the space to the right of the fireplace?

I will look into the sound options. Really appreciate it!

Is that sub better than the BIC F12? Also, would I need a sound bar or would the sub, 2 bookshelves be enough?

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, MediaDirect doesn't specify if you get a pair or just one speaker for $349. It seems like you get only one for that price.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Also, what about the HSU STF 2?
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

post #6 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adizlaja View Post

Thanks! When you say "right-hand wall" are you talking about the wall with the windows on the right side (behind the black couch)? If so, I got windows there and which would make it less than optimal. Also, I think my seating has to face towards the fireplace. Or were you referring to the space to the right of the fireplace?
Is that sub better than the BIC F12? Also, would I need a sound bar or would the sub, 2 bookshelves be enough?

it is as simple as wanting to do what it takes to get good audio .. or spending a nerdy amount of money for somebody to come in there and program custom modulation to try and get the room to work with the speakers (and those results are typically nothing as good when compared to doing it right the first time).
more watts and higher output speakers will get you better results with the modulation.. but you wont be able to move things around much at all and you wont be able to add or remove furniture.
the room gets scanned and it needs to stay locked for the calibration to work.

so if you arent open to necessary.. you will probably just grab some speakers and toss them somewhere .. plug them in and listen to the speakers how they lay there.
truth is yes..
above the fireplace is one suggestion
on the right where the windows are at is another suggestion
placing the television on the left side (wall or no wall) is the other suggestion

leaving it like it is.. eh, go get a home theater in a box and call it a day then (or see if you can find somebody that will program a modulated box for $1,500
the modulated box will try to smear the left speaker towards the left.. and it will cut time on the right side and try to smear it against the wall and windows.
highly doubtful that you will take the left and get it all the way over to the wall.. and if you do, the watts are going to be high (think volume up almost all the way).
it isnt necessarily louder with the volume up all the way.. it is more power to make the speaker cone move in and out faster to comb and brush the soundwaves in the air to build up the pressure and avoid the collisions to inflate the room a specific way.
(it really does mean bringing in a sound engineer to do the math and program a blank chip to serve as your calculator)

those things dont play well with spdif or hdmi signals.
you gotta open up the receiver and solder in some add-on's and hope you didnt break some vacuum seal on the amplifier or preamp section that ruins the audio quality.

if you are going to touch some surround speakers (meaning bring them into the room) then you will need to grasp the necessary again.. because the rear speakers need to go somewhere.

towers are cute because they are already the listening height while sitting on the floor.
otherwise you are looking at some rather dumb possible choices like gluing a home theater in a box speaker to the side of the television.

lousy is wanting something, but without the grip to see necessary reason, and thus refusing to do what it takes to make the situation more comfortable.
a lack of comfort is why the dollar amount goes up x10
post #7 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adizlaja View Post

it is as simple as wanting to do what it takes to get good audio .. or spending a nerdy amount of money for somebody to come in there and program custom modulation to try and get the room to work with the speakers (and those results are typically nothing as good when compared to doing it right the first time).
more watts and higher output speakers will get you better results with the modulation.. but you wont be able to move things around much at all and you wont be able to add or remove furniture.
the room gets scanned and it needs to stay locked for the calibration to work.

so if you arent open to necessary.. you will probably just grab some speakers and toss them somewhere .. plug them in and listen to the speakers how they lay there.
truth is yes..
above the fireplace is one suggestion
on the right where the windows are at is another suggestion
placing the television on the left side (wall or no wall) is the other suggestion

leaving it like it is.. eh, go get a home theater in a box and call it a day then (or see if you can find somebody that will program a modulated box for $1,500
the modulated box will try to smear the left speaker towards the left.. and it will cut time on the right side and try to smear it against the wall and windows.
highly doubtful that you will take the left and get it all the way over to the wall.. and if you do, the watts are going to be high (think volume up almost all the way).
it isnt necessarily louder with the volume up all the way.. it is more power to make the speaker cone move in and out faster to comb and brush the soundwaves in the air to build up the pressure and avoid the collisions to inflate the room a specific way.
(it really does mean bringing in a sound engineer to do the math and program a blank chip to serve as your calculator)

those things dont play well with spdif or hdmi signals.
you gotta open up the receiver and solder in some add-on's and hope you didnt break some vacuum seal on the amplifier or preamp section that ruins the audio quality.

if you are going to touch some surround speakers (meaning bring them into the room) then you will need to grasp the necessary again.. because the rear speakers need to go somewhere.

towers are cute because they are already the listening height while sitting on the floor.
otherwise you are looking at some rather dumb possible choices like gluing a home theater in a box speaker to the side of the television.

lousy is wanting something, but without the grip to see necessary reason, and thus refusing to do what it takes to make the situation more comfortable.
a lack of comfort is why the dollar amount goes up x10
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page