Yamaha RX-V673 "Manual Audio Set up" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Folks,
Looking for help from anyone that has successfully set up the RX-V673 manually without using YPAO. I've got all the other settings done (Amp Assign, Size, and Distance) but can't seem to figure out how to use the Test Tone function to adjust "Speaker Levels" to the standard 75db.

I've set up many other receivers and always use a spl meter. I'm used to increasing or decreasing the sound levels to each speaker while a test tone is playing for each speaker. I found the test tone in the settings menu of the 673 but how do I adjust levels while I'm there. The test tones pass from one speaker to the next automatically and there are no adjustments allowed while it cycles through the 5 channels. The "Test Tone" instructions on page 93 has just one sentence and was no help. Either I'm blind or just missed the instruction in the owners manual.

Member "Bond" has suggested using a set up disc and I was wondering how this works. Even if I get a calibration disc there is no way for the 673 to actually play a flat level to adjust to. In my past receivers once the test tones are played by the receiver it is a flat fixed level for the spl to read off of and can not be control by the master volume. How does such a disc work?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Just use YPAO. It will set levels and distances just fine. If you don't like the EQ choices, just shut them off. The receiver will retain the level and distance settings.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindNoise View Post

I found the test tone in the settings menu of the 673 but how do I adjust levels while I'm there.

Once you have turned the test tones on, then press return on the remote and then scroll down to 'Level'. When you now enter levels it will play a 1K pink noise tone for each individual speaker you select. That will allow you more time to fine tune its volume.

Plus also with test tone still on, you can enter Equaliser, then GEQ and you will get a full range pink noise in each individual speaker as you select it. That is very handy if you have a real time analyzer and can measure the individual frequency response from each speaker by itself.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Craig, I'll do YPAO as soon as I get an extension for the mic.

Hi Kiwi,
Thanks that was great help.
I got a chance to try your solution last night, I'm still puzzled as to how to adjust the level to the standard 75db with a spl meter. When I have the test tones set to ON I navigate back to "Level" and got to play with the settings of each individual speaker. However, I notice that I can still control the master volume while doing this. In my old receiver the pink noise generator is played at a fixed level and from there I tune -/+ the levels to the standard 75db. How do I do this on the 673 if I can control the master volume?

What if I set the master volume at any given fix point and adjust speakers levels from there? That way all speakers will be balanced from that point, does that work??? confused.gif

Thanks again for your help.
Jay
post #5 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm still puzzled as to how to adjust the level to the standard 75db with a spl meter.

I've never worried about achieving reference level 75dB calibration myself... as I don't see the point... but I would imagine that if you set the main volume to 0.0, then level volume adjustments to 75dB on each speaker with your spl meter then that achieves that??? Perhaps someone else can chime in here.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Thanks Craig, I'll do YPAO as soon as I get an extension for the mic.

Hi Kiwi,
Thanks that was great help.
I got a chance to try your solution last night, I'm still puzzled as to how to adjust the level to the standard 75db with a spl meter. When I have the test tones set to ON I navigate back to "Level" and got to play with the settings of each individual speaker. However, I notice that I can still control the master volume while doing this. In my old receiver the pink noise generator is played at a fixed level and from there I tune -/+ the levels to the standard 75db. How do I do this on the 673 if I can control the master volume?

What if I set the master volume at any given fix point and adjust speakers levels from there? That way all speakers will be balanced from that point, does that work??? confused.gif

Thanks again for your help.
Jay

Some receivers adjust reference level to be 0 dB on the master volume control readout, and some do not do so.

The calibrated "reference level" setting of my master volume control readout is -22 dB for a 75 dB SPL speaker reading.

Start by setting your master volume to 0dB and measure how loud your speakers measure with the internal test tones.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to All.

Palmer,
I'll try the -22 for the machine tonight. I may not push it to 0dB, it's already way loud at -29! smile.gif But I guess if I just find 2 fixed points, one at the spl meter and the other at the master volume, I should be able to adjust all the level balances. Whether it be at the 75dB point or not it shouldn't really matter I guess, as long as the speakers are all tuned to the "base line" levels I created.

Cheers,
Jay
post #8 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I was wondering if someone could help me out. I did the YPAO setup and it was successful but I find the sound very echoey. I have am in a 13' x 18' room that is open to above, approximately 20' up. Any ideas as to how I can adjust the sound to sound deeper and more forward pointing.

I am running a 5.1 setup in rear in-wall speakers.

Thanks!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Measure the speaker distances (except for the sub) and make sure the AVR got them correct. Adjust if necessary. And manually measure speaker levels with a dB meter as above and adjust if necessary.

If that doesn't solve your issue then you may need to take things a bit further....

I find it preferable to have a tiny bit more delay on the side surround speakers. I do this by having my side surround speakers 30 or 40mm further back than the distance entered in the AVR. I find it helps keep good localisation and the soundstage more upfront.

My slightly older Yamaha AVR is only adjustable in 100mm steps and I do find I need to fine tune this by physically moving speakers in 10 or 20mm steps to get things right. Newer Yamaha AVRs are adjustable in 50mm steps for speaking distance. (Denons can be adjusted in 10mm increments)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

To Meth,

Don't ignore the room itself!

I don't know what your room type is, reflective or absorbing? Very high ceiling and too many reflective surfaces could be cause of your echo problem.

Jay
post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

To Meth,
Don't ignore the room itself!
I don't know what your room type is, reflective or absorbing? Very high ceiling and too many reflective surfaces could be cause of your echo problem.
Jay

I think I can because I actually had an older Panasonic receiver running these speakers for about a two month span before picking up my new receiver. The sound was completely different but the receiver could not handle two zones and so I opted to upgrade. The speakers were configured manually just specifying the distance etc. I am going to try running another YPAO setup once I can get everyone out of the house again. I am going to take Kiwi2's advice and tweak with those ideas in mind. I actually did the same thing with my fronts where I set them further back so that my centre channel came through a bit stronger.

THANKS!
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Doing a manual set up could help see if YPAO is doing what you want it to. Also make sure to try a movie without any of the Cinema DSP effects, DSP can make my front field sound spacious but offers up a confused center.

Good luck.
Jay
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat