Is separating computer output audio impossible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
leland_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this device: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B002BDU95A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354728948&sr=8-1&keywords=sb+itunes

It's fantastic at playing our office music through speakers across the room. However, this means that EVERY sound the computer makes such as instant messages, windows media player, etc. plays through as well. The OS being used is Win7Pro64bit.

No matter how many audio settings I change I cannot seem to separate the sound. Essentially, what I'm looking for is to ONLY have our music from Spotify play through the transmitter. Then, all other sounds will be played/handled through a headphone jack, etc.

Here's a screenshot of my playback window.

It looks to me as though it's acting as a separate audio card, right? Is there a registry edit to somehow designate only Spotify to play through the SB iTunes and allow all other audio to play through the default Conexant integrated card?

Thanks! This is quite the problem for us and we could really use the help.
leland_7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland_7 View Post

I have this device: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B002BDU95A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354728948&sr=8-1&keywords=sb+itunes

It's fantastic at playing our office music through speakers across the room. However, this means that EVERY sound the computer makes such as instant messages, windows media player, etc. plays through as well. The OS being used is Win7Pro64bit.

No matter how many audio settings I change I cannot seem to separate the sound. Essentially, what I'm looking for is to ONLY have our music from Spotify play through the transmitter. Then, all other sounds will be played/handled through a headphone jack, etc.

Here's a screenshot of my playback window.

It looks to me as though it's acting as a separate audio card, right? Is there a registry edit to somehow designate only Spotify to play through the SB iTunes and allow all other audio to play through the default Conexant integrated card?

Thanks! This is quite the problem for us and we could really use the help.

Typically, you select the audio device that a music player program uses from that program. Many programs only send sound to the "default device" in which case you have no choice with it.
arnyk is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SAM64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Turn off windows sounds, unless you really need them.
SAM64 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
leland_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. Looking for something a bit different. Will keep a look out. Have a wonderful evening.
leland_7 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
leland_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who might care.... I'm currently trying to make this work:

http://www.fidelify.net/

It's a Spotify client. It's beta but seems to be working for others. However, when I set the interface to "WASAPI" and select my "SB-iTunes" instead of my "Conexant" integrated speakers I don't get any sound. The SoundBlaster transmitter plugs in USB so perhaps it's not really considering it a sound card of sorts? Would you guys have any thoughts here? Maybe installing a separate sound card would allow the sound to be diverted?

Also, I don't really know what ASIO or WASAPI is. I Googled it but still couldn't really understand. Could that be throwing me off?
leland_7 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland_7 View Post

For those who might care.... I'm currently trying to make this work:

http://www.fidelify.net/

It's a Spotify client. It's beta but seems to be working for others. However, when I set the interface to "WASAPI" and select my "SB-iTunes" instead of my "Conexant" integrated speakers I don't get any sound.

What happens if you don't select the WSASPI interface?
Quote:
The SoundBlaster transmitter plugs in USB so perhaps it's not really considering it a sound card of sorts?

Unlikely. USB audio interfaces are the same as internal interfaces at the music player software level.
arnyk is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
leland_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply, Arnold.

By default, "System Default" is selected. This plays through the option you have set as the Windows default playback device. You then have the choice of selecting either ASIO or WASAPI. When I select ASIO, it tells me no ASIO devices can be found. So... I'm guess I shouldn't be selecting that one.

By selecting the WASAPI option I then get a drop down where I can select between my two devices (although it seems to duplicate the items). I have selected each one and never hear anything coming from the SB-iTunes device.

Here a screenshot:

leland_7 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Newbie
 
Slim4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are running Windows 7, you should be able to go in to the mixer in the sound settings.
Look in your system tray (the area in the lower right corner of your screen that has the clock)
Find the speaker
click on it once and choose "Mixer" on one of the audio outputs.
You should be able to change volume levels for each of the audio applications.
Slim4 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off