Speaker setup help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

The family room in the house I bought was already wired for speakers. In an attempt to keep this simple, there is a TV niche with wall mounted speakers in the upper corners of the wall (2 total). The sofa is placed roughly 9 feet from that wall and over the sofa there are 3 evenly spaced ceiling speakers.

I thought about making the speakers over the couch the fronts and center channel, with the two on the wall the tv is on the rears. Obviously this is awkward so I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Unfortunately, reversing the speaker assignments as you propose would cause sounds which are designed to pan from the front to the rear speakers (e.g. planes flying overhead) to go in reverse -- from rear to front. Similarly, sounds intended to seem to come from the TV itself would come from overhead. These effects would be rather disorienting.

You might want to consider wiring the two speakers which are close to the TV as the fronts, and wire the speakers over the sofa as side surrounds with the associated central speaker as the rear surround. Because of the distance between the front speakers, you should get an additional speaker to use as the front center speaker.

Alternatively, hang the TV on the opposite wall and don't use the TV niche.

My suspicion is that the original owners were planning to put a projection screen on the wall opposite the TV niche, with a projector hanging from the ceiling over the TV. while using only the TV's internal speakers when that was in use. You might want to consider that, too.

And don't forget that you'll need to get a subwoofer.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your reply.

I meant to mention that I have a subwoofer, but somehow forgot. I have it placed in the niche under the TV.

To calrify, behind the sofa there is roughly 7' of space before you get to a wall which has french doors that lead to an office. So reversing the sofa is not really an option.

Your idea sounds great and I previously considered buying a center channel, I just didn't know what to use the center rear speaker for with that configuration. I had held off on buying a center channel since my wife wants to have a carpenter come and make a "built in" cabinet for the TV, but I have been fighting that since I would hate to be constrained in the future by those dimensions; but that's a different topic now smile.gif

I really appreciate your help.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Perfectly matching the center channel speaker to the other speakers isn't always as critical as it used to be. However, you might check with the company that made your in-ceiling speakers to see what they recommend.

If you have an audio/video receiver which includes a room equalization package like Audyssey, Pioneer's MCACC or Yamaha's YPAO, the equalization flattens the response of all of the speakers and thus makes them sound very similar to one another.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped