Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Hello All,
I have been lurking for years and just reading and learning. First time actually posting today because I could use some help and my searches come up inconclusive

I just purchased a set of Klipsch Ks-14's for my surrounds yesterday to complete my Icon setup. (please dont poke fun, but I am kind of a newb with limited space and quite a step up from my Quintets)
Nonetheless, I have my main viewing sofa on my back wall. When I had my quintets for my surrounds they were about ear level on my back wall pointed inward a little bit and I just felt they were not optimal to match my setup nor mounting.
I made the situation worse I think with getting bigger speakers. I love that they are bidirectional and i think this will help my situation but could use some pointers from some more seasoned HT Enthusiasts.

My back wall from corner to corner is 15ft. My main sofa is about 110" long. It is not centered on the back wall due to viewing angle and the fact that all my units are recliners. Pictures will show better

Option 1: If I mount on the side walls due to a window on one side and closet on the other, my mounting height will need to be about 7ft. I have tried test mounting them there and seems like they are missing something at that height. I am thinking if I mount there, I will need to point downward a bit to get the audience back into the range. Problem with this is, I do not know what kind of mounts to look for. These have a keyhole mount only. So I may need something like a clamp mount and would like to keep as close to the wall as possible due to the size. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards this option because we put our xmas tree in the one corner and random stuff here and there so it might be nice to keep them high and unblocked from anything we may need to move around.

Option 2: If I mount them on the back wall, I can get them a bit lower and possibly into the range of the audience hearing a bit better. Problem is with this it will look off because my stuff is not centered and will stick out a bit more I think. My other concerns are localization. I test mounted about 2-3 ft above the ear range and seemed to get more detail than up high on the sides, but the one will be right above one of the seaters head. I am still unsure about the height this way too with my layout.

Suggestions?
Here are some pics of the things I tried, Also shows my front staging and an idea of room layout while I was moving things around today. Thanks in advance for viewing

Old pic with the Quintets mounted. You can see the one listener in the corner gets killed with localization and the other hidden by the xmas tree right now. You can see the tight angle though atleast to get an idea of the old mounting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My money's on #1 plus a tilt. Plus you already have stuff on the rear wall. Remember that surrounds are supposed to be to the side, or slightly behind you. The tilt will require a little fabrication; I see 2 panels and a wedge of roughly 30 degrees separating them. Mount speaker on one panel, and the other panel to the wall. Then again, without tools....

However, I have a couple other suggestions.

1) move the couch out from the wall 1-2 feet, so your ears are 2-3' from the wall. As it sits, the dogs have the best seat in the house!

2) Move the RF speaker out of the corner, closer to the TV, so it suffers less from boundary reflections.

Have fun,
Frank
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone at a local shop suggested trying behind the sofa and firing up. I tried this for now and seems to sound great from the demos I used. Gotta see how they do at lower volume though but the sides are still on the back burner
Can you explain the comments on the fronts? I had them closer to the tv and the sub in the corner. I just moved them further from the tv and pointed in a bit and pulled the sub from the corner. Seems to sound a bit better but I'm not always sure what I am looking for. I just look for missing detail and less harshness or too bright highs.

I can't bring to sofa much further out. First reason being recliners on both sofas and will hit. Second being my panel is 65". I may be able to bring out a bit though.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That's an interesting idea... whatever sounds good to you is what you should do. It looks like the speaker's too close, but if you don't notice a dip in the frequency response, L vs. R, there's no harm. Detail, distortion and tonal balance are all major acoustic characteristics, so you're looking at the right stuff.

While there are viewing distance criteria that might have you move the display, I'd like to move the couch for purely acoustic reasons. Then again, if you don't notice the tonal shifts as your head gets closer/farther from the wall, there's no harm... these are primarily living spaces after all.

Have fun,
Frank
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So to test the tonall differences just look for sounds differences as you get closer and farther from the walls?
When you say too close on the fronts. Do you mean to each other? Or to the listener?
At times I think the fronts can be a little harsh. It's hard for me to judge though as I have never heard a hi quality system to really judge also no one comes over that really knows to say hey something doesn't sound right here.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page