speaker arrangement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am setting up my 5.1 home theater in my basement and need some advice with rear speaker placement. The room is about 35' x 25' with the TV mounted on the longer wall. The area for the TV is 15' x 15'. Right now I have the center just below the TV and the right and left front speakers a little above the TV. Because the wall to the left of the TV is so far away I currently have the rear speakers mounted to the ceiling a little behind the seating area pointed down toward the seating area. Is this the best setup or should I mount them on the back wall which would be 8'-10' behind the seating area? There is one obstacle I have to worry about and that is the HVAC ducts that go down the area parallel to the TV. The speakers are behind this from the TV.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickisdaddy View Post

Right now I have the center just below the TV and the right and left front speakers a little above the TV.

Ideally, all speakers should be placed so the tweeters are at ear height. If you can't do that, pick either above or below and make all three fronts the same height. Otherwise, as "action" moves across the screen the sound goes up and down which sounds strange and IMO annoying.
Quote:
Because the wall to the left of the TV is so far away I currently have the rear speakers mounted to the ceiling a little behind the seating area pointed down toward the seating area. Is this the best setup or should I mount them on the back wall which would be 8'-10' behind the seating area?

I'm not a fan of speakers in the ceiling. If it were my room I'd put the rears with the tweeters at ear height too. This article shows the recommended arrangement for 5.1 speakers:

How to set up a room

You may find this useful too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page