Location...Location..Location!!!! Help is required - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Please help. I've been following these threads for awhile now, i have been trying to use the info provided as best i can, but i would like to read your suggestions.

The sound equipment:
Yamaha Receiver RX-V671
Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding F-L/R
Polk Audio CS10 - Center Channel
Sony Sub-woofer - SS-MSP1 (Don't laugh its on the stages of planning-to-be-upgraded-soon rolleyes.gif )
JVC Surround Speakers - R-L/R (Don't laugh its on the stages of planning-to-be-upgraded-soon rolleyes.gif )
Polk Audio FXI A4 - SR-L/R
This is my future setup for movies.....please excuse the drawing it was done with google drawings at work:

Its a large living room. 23'x18' its high ceilings 20' high. I'm planning doing a 7.1 setup. The 1st row of chairs will be located 11' away from the TV and front speakers.

I wanted you guys input on where to place the center channel for better sound. Due to having two rows of chairs the TV was wall mounted 6 feet high, should the center channel speaker be placed somewhere on top of the TV so it reaches the back rows or under it? Should i care?

Another thing, in a 7.1 setup where should the FXi A4 be placed on the sides or back?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 948
If you place your seating at one of the 1/3rd or 1/5th divisions of the room length, it will help give you smoother frequency response (fewer and/or smaller peaks and dips). For your room, I would place the first row around 9.25 feet from the front wall (2/5th point) and the back row about 7.75 feet from the back wall, which leaves a comfortable 6 feet between the rows for people in the back to stretch out their feet or recline. At your current 11 foot distance, you're near the middle of the room, which will result in greater swings in the frequency response. Also, at that distance, a 65-inch TV is going to occupy a tiny 24 degrees of viewing angle. Not very immersive. At 9.25 feet, you're almost at 29 degrees, for a bit more immersion.

To get a nice wide soundstage I would spread your front speakers about 12 feet apart and mount the centre speaker so that its tweeter is the same height as the ones in the L/R floorstanders. If you are willing to mount the centre speaker vertically, then that would really help listeners on either end of the rows. Horizontal woofer-tweeter-woofer designs typically sound bad off-axis.

In your drawing, the sides and rears are close enough in angle that it will almost sound like a 5.1 set-up from the first row. Mounting your Polks surrounds directly to the sides of the first row will help stabilize lateral imaging AND give you good rear-vs-side separation in the surround field (one of the hallmarks of a 7.1 set-up). Set the bipole/dipole switch to bipole, for more even coverage across the seating area. For the moment, mount your JVC speakers in the back corners of the room, with the back of the speaker stradling the corner. Hopefully you'll replace them with another pair of F/XiA4 surrounds down the road. Mounting the surrounds about 3 feet above seated ear level will help improve envelopment and provide a bit of height imaging (not to mention keeping your guests from bumping their heads on the surrounds).

Finally, when you get ready to replace your Sony subwoofer, consider getting two. Placing them at the midpoints of opposite walls will give you better bass consistency from seat to seat. That makes it easier for room correction systems built into receivers to do a better job fixing problems across multiple seats, since the subwoofer placement has made problems more similar across multiple seats.
MPMorph likes this.

Sanjay
post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow thanks greatly appreciate the feedback. FxiA4 are coming in tomorrow so I will definitely give your suggestions a try.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 948
You're welcome. If any part of my post didn't make sense, just ask and I'll try to clarify.
rtan likes this.

Sanjay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page