Originally Posted by pratikgr
I am very new to audio systems. So I really need your expert advise to set up my family room. I need help with Speakers, sub woofers, Receivers...as I don't know nothing about what to purchase. After reading many threads here, I only figured out that BOSE is not the way to go.
Can you guys please Advise on following questions? I am flexible with budget. I just need best quality sound and small speakers. My TV will be above fireplace.
1) Should I place In Wall speakers or Wall Mount? If ts wall Mount, I prefer small speakers.
2) Should I go with 5.1 or 7.1?
3) What company or model of speakers ?
4) What model for SB
5) what Model for Receivers?
6) Any other tips or suggestion to take care?
1. I wouldn't go with in walls unless you absolutely have to. Theres some nice small speakers that would be good as wall mount.
2. Focus on a good solid 5.1 first and then add the other two later on. You can go 7.1 first but only if it doesn't sacifice good fronts, center and subwoofer.
3. Too subjective. It depends on if you can go with bookshelfs or you have to stick with in walls. The usual brands that get recommended on AVS and most other places is (Aperion Audio, Arx, HSU, Ascend Acoustics, Paradigm, HTD, PSB)
4. I assume SB is for subwoofer? SVS, HSU, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik, Funk Audio are the ones that most will agree is the best performing bang for the buck out there. Each has a wide variety of choices from size, ported, sealed, passive radiator. Seaton Sound would be another but those are the $2k plus but highly regarded.
5. Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, NAD, Anthem. Look at what your budget is and then shop for a receiver with the options that you want. They all make great receivers that measure well, provide a ton of options, and receivers DON'T have a sound quality too them. Blind tests have shown this before.
6.Let us know a budget and what your size requirements are if you go with onwall/mounted speakers.