speaker sound issues, all dont sound the same but test the same? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI i have 5 boston vs260 speakers in my house for my home theater, but im having issues. I had a set before these and they were so crisp and detailed, but they were damaged so i returned them and got a few more. Well with these speakers they all dont sound the same playing music like one has more bass output one has a crisper tweeter. I tested them in the same spot and on the same channel and even had multiple people say the sounded different . Well They are getting looked at now and the guy sound they tested all the same with test tones with in roughly plus or minus 1 percent of each other minus the center cause the crossover. How can this be. Does this sound possible. Is there something i can do to have them see this, before they send them back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My only thought is break-in... a small effect in most cases. I know how this will sound if you do it, but you break in a speaker by running it at high volume for a period of time. For woofers, a sine wave at resonance is effective at loosening up any tightness in spider or surround, but I'm unaware of any need to break in tweeters given their lack of excursion.

Have fun,
Frank
post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I would be guessing that it has to do with speaker/room interaction.

For example, around here when people post photos of their rooms showing off their big flash systems... you see an awful lot of rooms that have been badly set up. (acoustically) The TV screen may be located to one side of the room which forces one speaker to be in a corner up next to the side wall, while the other speaker is practically in the middle of the room nowhere near a side wall. If you were to measure the frequency response from each individual speaker, they would show a radically different response. That difference would also be very audible if you played a pink noise test tone through one at a time as well.

So it is not surprising for the same identical speakers to sound different when placed around a room. This is why some people go to so much trouble to rearrange a room that suits a more optimal speaker placement position first... rather than placing speakers to suit wherever the TV and sofa already happen to be.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I agreed with the breaking so I let them break in long periods of time. It was the notes on clapping that got me, I heard them better and crisper on 2 speaker then the others and were full and had more output and had more bass. The speakers were tested in the same location in my house on the same channel. So Im still a lil confused the the audio repair shop who said there was nothing wrong with any of them. As far as the test goes. Thanks for responding guys.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 660
What kind of test did the repair guy do? If he just ran pink noise through them, held up and SPL meter and got the same SPL between them all, that means nothing. They can still sound very different, even if they're equally sensitive. You need a frequency sweep to see where the tonal difference is.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAMARO24 View Post

yeah I agreed with the breaking so I let them break in long periods of time. It was the notes on clapping that got me,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

What kind of test did the repair guy do? If he just ran pink noise through them, held up and SPL meter and got the same SPL between them all, that means nothing. They can still sound very different, even if they're equally sensitive. You need a frequency sweep to see where the tonal difference is.
And if the difference is in dynamic range and transient response - clapping - then FR sweep will show nothing as well... you may have very sensitive ears!

HAve fun,
Frank
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I do have very sensitive ears, and certain fq's like a loud piercing clap stick in my ears and when some speakers are piercing and some aren't there would be an issue correct? but I also know what they sounded like with my first set of them. I will put the graph on here when they are sent back to me. Shipping was 110 to ship all the speakers so I hope for there sake and mine they tested multiple fqs at different volume settings
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page