can sound bar hook up to tv, laptop, xbox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of buying a sound bar. My main concern is can I use it for my audio for my laptop TV and xbox? and how so would i set it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Abell View Post

I am thinking of buying a sound bar. My main concern is can I use it for my audio for my laptop TV and xbox? and how so would i set it up?

It depends on the "in's" and "out's" that are provided on the equipment. Assuming that your sound bar is "active"...(powered), then any "out" to the input on the bar shoud work. HDMI on both would be great.

Espo77
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

currently i am running two HDMIs, one for my xbox and one for my laptop. So when looking for a sound bar should i look for one that has multiple HDMI in? i have 4 HDMI slots on my tv, just trying to get an understanding on what inputs i would need and if all could be hooked up to play sound through the sound bar.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

currently i am running two HDMIs, one for my xbox and one for my laptop. So when looking for a sound bar should i look for one that has multiple HDMI in? i have 4 HDMI slots on my tv, just trying to get an understanding on what inputs i would need and if all could be hooked up to play sound through the sound bar.

You can definitely do this. Getting a sound bar with multiple HDMI IN is good but, generally speaking, more HDMI inputs means more $$. You might also have other connection options such as optical, etc. Your connection options increase if your TV has ARC. You can check the manual or an easier way is to look at the back of the TV. You should have an HDMI (ARC) input if your TV supports ARC. With ARC, you can connect all of your devices to your TV, connect from the HDMI (ARC) on your TV to the soundbar, and you would be good to go. It is my understanding that most TV's only output 2-channel audio so, while the most convenient setup, it probably won't sound the best. Whenever possible, I would want to connect all devices directly into the soundbar and then output the soundbar to the TV via HDMI.

I don't know what your budget is but I would look around for a soundbar that has at least 1 HDMI IN and OUT that fits your needs. Check out the Soundbar forum here. Lots of good information there. You could always get 1 of these if you want to connect multiple devices directly to your soundbar if you don't have enough HDMI inputs:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8463&seq=1&format=2

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the information! i just looked and found out i do have hdmi arc so connect my xbox and laptop to the other hdmi ports and plug tv to sound bar with the arc hdmi. Your response has helped a lot, now just need to find a good sound bar willing to spend up to 300 possibly to 400, if you have any suggestions, it would be great!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Thank you very much for the information! i just looked and found out i do have hdmi arc so connect my xbox and laptop to the other hdmi ports and plug tv to sound bar with the arc hdmi. Your response has helped a lot, now just need to find a good sound bar willing to spend up to 300 possibly to 400, if you have any suggestions, it would be great!

Good to hear. I would recommend going over to the Soundbar forum here. Lots of great information.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

One last question, how would i hook the laptop up to get the sound bar sound quality? would i just have the sound bar hooked up to the tv via hdmi arc then the laptop connected to the tv via hdmi? or would i have to connect my laptop via hdmi to the sound bar? The main reason I ask is I use my laptop to watch movies and listen to music. so im wondering if as long as I have the sound bar connected to the tv that would be my sound and i could still have my tv act as my monitor since I only have one hdmi on my computer.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page