Beginner need suggestion on home stereo setup. Thank you - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm completely new to HiFi World and i'm planning to build a system soon. Was looking for some advices and feedbacks on a shortlist that i've made:

Speakers (Bookshelf) - Monitor Audio RX2
I've read some reviews and it seems like it wasn't actually that good. Some days its too bright and edgy. Many people suggest to choose Dynaudio over the MA. I've heard Paradigm was pretty good too, but never seen any reviews comparing with Monitor Audio RX2.

Amp (Integrate) - Musical Fidelity M3i

DAC - Musical Fidelity M1DAC

Musics genre that i listen most: Jazz, Blue Jazz, Bossa Nova, Opera, Classical

Any advices, feedback or experiences sharing are more than welcome ^_^

Regards,
Hi-Fi Newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustachesound View Post

Hello everyone,
I will be getting a pair of Monitor Audio RX2 soon but i'm not sure what setup i should go for the speakers.
I've done some research for the prepro / amps / receivers....As for the cable, ...As for the subwoofer, ...
Any advices, feedback or experiences sharing are more than welcome...
Welcome to AVS!

I want to amend your list to include room location and room acoustics, as those two factors will have a far greater impact on the speakers' sound than everything you mention... combined. Well, maybe not the sub.

You will find a lot of contention over the concept of amps and cables having "sound." That's not the case for location and acoustics; everyone agrees they're important, nay critical to a proper listening experience. There will be some contention over what's optimum, or how to approach a given issue, but it's never ignored.

So, have fun working the gear, comparinig specs, talking to owners, but don't ignore the room.

Tell us about it and perhaps I can give you some positive options.

Have fun,
Frank
post #3 of 14 Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It sounds like you are just going to be using a subwoofer with the two speakers, and are not interested in multichannel.

I can recommend the Musical Fidelity M3i, if you are in the $1500 price range for an amplifier. The Music Hall A70.2 is also very good. Either of those should be a good match for your speakers.

If that is more money than you want to spend, the Music Hall A15.2 is only $499 and is IMO better than most for $800 or less.

I am using the NHT B12D subwoofer, and I recommend it very highly. It's sound is exceptionally clean and linear, and is rather compact for a high-powered 12" sub. It also has a really nice piano black finish.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Dear fbov,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

I apologize for being unable to provide the room dimension at this stage as i will be moving very soon. I understand that the location and dimension will be a main factors for the system to deliver the best result. I will try to get some references as i can. What i'm sure is it will be a flooring carpet and its's a open concept apartment unit.

I'm really appreciate to knew that sub was uneccessary to pair with the RX2. I wasn't so sure because i never had an audition with the RX2 yet. I only get a chance to had an auditioned with the RX1 with REL T5 sub. I will go have an audition with the RX2 sometime when i've narrow down with the system settings.

I'm actually new to this hobby and i wish i could do more research and have some audition before i made any decisions smile.gif

Your advices are very helpful and i'm really appreciate that. I'll keep those tips in mind smile.gif

Thank you.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Commsysman,

Thank you for your feedback smile.gif

Actually i wasn't so sure that if i should go with a sub or not before. But if there is a good reason for me to play with a sub please tell me smile.gif

I've actually heard a lot about musical fidelity on how good they are (from internet) and arcam as well. I'll check the M3i and try to have an audition with it some other time as well. Would you mind if i ask have you try any arcam or cyrus setup with the RX2? Just wondering how would you compare those units :P

And you're right ! my budget for the amps / separate will be around $1500 !!! biggrin.gif

Thank you very much !
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you will probably want a subwoofer to use with those speakers in order to get some good low bass.

Some people would be happy with the bass the RX-2 puts out, but I would not. They are rated to go down to 40 Hz, but they may not actually go quite that low, depending on the room and placement.

It is strictly a matter of how much bass you want for your listening preferences; strictly personal taste. I want the full effect of the lower bass drums and string double bass etc. which most bookshelf/ monitor speakers will not produce.

I have very limited experience with Arcam and Cyrus, so I'm no help there. I do hear good things about Arcam and the Rega Mira.

I used the MF M3i for a couple of years and it is very good, I have upgraded to much more expensive separates in the system now; an Audio Research preamp and Bryston amplifier, but of course good separates are mostly in the $4000-9000 range.

Actually, I was thinking of listing the M3i amplifier for sale for $900 if that might interest you at some point; it's like new in all respects. I am selling my 2nd home and have some surplus as a result.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Commsysman,

Thank you for your reply again smile.gif

I guess i can understand what you mean with the lack of good low bass cause that's what i'm worry too if i run without a sub. I'm not a bass junkies but a good low bass for me will return more details. I could be wrong.

I will try see if i could find the Rega Mira to have an audition with them and let you know how i felt.

Sorry i forgot to mention where i from. I'm actually from Melbourne, Australia. smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh...way down under...lol.

Well, I know that the Musical Fidelity amplifier is available there because one of the reviews I looked at before I bought it was from an Australian Hi-Fi magazine.

I imagine Rega is also.

My general feeling is that 90% of hi-fi listeners would want a subwoofer with ANY non-floorstanding speaker.

On the other hand...lol... the RX-2 does have an 8" bass driver, and has more bass than the vast majority of non-floorstanding speakers.

I would just get the amplifier you want and see what you think. A subwoofer is always easy to add when and if you want one.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Comm,

I'm very interested with the m3i that you introduced after read couples more reviews. I will try see if there is a chance for me to listen to it with rx2. Apparently from what i knew there is only one shop sells Monitor Audio in Melbourne. i hope they do have the m3i or else i'll cry lol.

Things that worried me was to get the right amplifier which have the capabilities to support additional speakers. Cause i was afraid that i pick an amplifier which can only connect with a pair of speakers only by mistakes, and i don't want that to be happen lol. And i thought thats what a "stereo amplifier" means and i couldn't add a sub to that amplifier later on. I was wrong, am i? lol

Sorry for being a noob lol
post #10 of 14 Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

There are preamp output jacks on the M3i. I used one of those to send the signal to my subwoofer; that is no problem.

www.audiomarketing.com.au

That is the distributor, if it is up to date.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 320
If you're going to be using a sub with the RX2s, then buy an AVR with proper bass management.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need an "audiophile" amp for those speakers. You don't.

Don't think you need special cables either. You don't.

Spend your money wisely, and be careful about the advice you get on forums.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

@commsysman - Thanks for the tips again. really appreciate smile.gif

@beaveav - Hi beaveav. Thank you for your feedback smile.gif I guess i won't go with a sub first. I guess the 8" should be enough for what i need. TBH, i really do thought i need an "audiophile" amp for those speakers lol. And the cables i've also heard some says it does makes big different and some says doesn't lol. I'm still at learning stage smile.gif I really do appreciate with your advices, hope i did spent wise eventually lol, better do more homework before taking any actions. Cheers
post #13 of 14 Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how would you guys compare the Monitor Audio RX2 with the Dynaudio X12 and Paradigm Bookshelf speakers?

Thank you. smile.gif
post #14 of 14 Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I was trying to get an audition with the Dyn x12 with the m3i and m1dac couple days ago unfortunately the local store that i visited does not have any stocks on the floor. So i had a demo with the Dyn focus 160 and DM 2/6 instead with the m3i and m1dac. The focus 160 sound amazingly smooth, full and details. For certain type of musics the bass might sounds a bit low but i think that won't be an issue for most of the types of musics that i listen to. As for the DM2/6 it was a great set of speakers as well but compare with the focus 160 it was like day and night.

By comparing the DM2/6 with the MA RX1 that i've listened before. I reckon the RX1 does brought a lot of excitement when it first play. But overall, i reckon the DM2/6 will brings more comfort to me and i found that the RX1 is a bit more bright and will fatigue for hours of listen. By saying that i do not mean RX1 was bad, it just my personal perferences of listen. Both are good and quality speakers. Besides, my judgement could be inaccurate as the source and settings that i listen on RX1 and DM2/6 are differences.

Cheers
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page