Info and help with tube amp 2 channel system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I'm thinking of getting into some mono block tube amps, DIY of course, for just stereo music listening. So some questions.

I'll be using a denon 5700 for the preamp and signal processing as well as preamp for phono. I'll be driving my klipschorn speakers.

First question will diy mono block tube amps sound better than my denon? This denon btw sounds awesome and as far as DIY for me that's easy.

Next most tube amps are like 5 watts and such how does that correlate to my denon 170 watts per channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Hard to say, since we don't know what is meant by DYI amp. Just not enough info. The Klipschorns can get really loud with just a watt or two.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Looking at something from this page maybe.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/5751-KT88-Tube-Amp-Kit/
post #4 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 215
DIY means Do It Yourself. Tube amps, especially SET types are relatively easy to build with novice electronics knowledge. Tubes are very forgiving of abuse and the tolerances in these amps can be rather sloppy.

As for SET, I am not a fan. I do use tube amps myself but all mine are PP types. Notice have almost no SET manufacture veer published distortion specs? That's because they can easily reach 15-20% at full power. Now it's second harmonic and therefore not as harsh as third harmonic which PP amps make. But it's still not true music reproduction IMO.

This topic is best persured on this site.

www.audioasylum.com

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #5 of 11 Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
IMO it would be a waste of time to use a tube amplifier with a Denon receiver as a preamp.

The sound quality will be mainly determined by the Denon and not the tube amplifier, and will not be that good.

If you think it sounds "awesome" now, then why change?

For most people who want to go to tubes, a tube integrated amplifier is the best bet, because good separates are going to cost somewhere close to $10k.

If, by DIY, you mean building an amplifier totally from scratch onto a bare metal chassis, that is quite a challenging undertaking that requires extensive technical knowledge as well as special sheet-metal punches and other tools and skills.

SET amplifiers have such a low power output that only speakers with 100 db per watt sensitivity can be used effectively, such as Klipschorns.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The sound quality will be mainly determined by the Denon and not the tube amplifier, and will not be that good.
As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. Your claim quoted above is false.
Quote:
For most people who want to go to tubes, a tube integrated amplifier is the best bet, because good separates are going to cost somewhere close to $10k.
False.
Quote:
If, by DIY, you mean building an amplifier totally from scratch onto a bare metal chassis, that is quite a challenging undertaking that requires extensive technical knowledge as well as special sheet-metal punches and other tools and skills.
Not true. I know many novice builders of successful DIY tube amps.
Quote:
SET amplifiers have such a low power output that only speakers with 100 db per watt sensitivity can be used effectively, such as Klipschorns.
You must have 0 knowledge on how to choose speakers. Such blanket statement is very damaging to audio community. Please study up on loudspeaker design. There are many good books out there.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post

Ok so I'm thinking of getting into some mono block tube amps, DIY of course, for just stereo music listening.
Why does it have to be mono-block? What's wrong with stereo amp?

If you want the "tube sound", SET is what you want for the reason Glimmie posted above.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a bunch. I don't know much about separates and tube amps so I was basically just asking some question to get an idea.

As far as moving on, I'll probably just stay where I'm at for now. Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
5 watts of tube power is like 5 watts of SS power, unless you buy into the soft clipping "pleasant" type distortion wherein you can crank up a tube amp to something more than its rated power and relatively high level of distortion before it sounds horrific vs. the typical SS amp that sounds horrific when driven to (relatively) low levels of distortion.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Just out of curiousity, how hard is it to build or assemble a tube amp kit, or a tube pre-amp kit? I would absolutely love to have a tube amp and tube pre-amp, but unfortunately, from I have seen, it would cost at least $2,000.00 to get a good tube amp and tube pre-amp. What are some of the better tube kits for both amps and pre-amps? Will these be somewhat comparable in performance to something from the likes of AR or Jolida?
post #11 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

it would cost at least $2,000.00 to get a good tube amp and tube pre-amp.
Not necessarily: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page