One of my Infinity Overture 3's sounds muffled - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just noticed today one of my Overture 3 towers sounds completely muffled, as if it was playing though a blanket! When playing audio through one speaker after another the difference is night and day. This definitely is a new problem and I never noticed any popping, and never play music very loud.

What I'm wondering is how to figure out what part is not functioning correctly. In this test file - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W28d7Q5pGA - the cymbals simply don't play at all in the affected speaker, bass plays fine, and piano notes sound muffled. I was fearing my tweeter was dead. However, when I played a frequency scanning audio file, although the speaker would not play anything above 16KHz (compared to the edge of my hearing at around 20KHz for the other speaker), it would sound normal at 8-12KHz, which is still well within tweeter range.

So if the tweeter is playing some sounds but not others and is quieter for other sounds, and the whole speaker sounds rather lifeless, could it be a crossover problem? Bad capacitors possibly?

I already tried swapping the L/R speakers so it's not an amp problem, and I tried different audio sources as well.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It could certainly be a bad crossover component; capacitors are the most likely to fail. I would try swapping the crossovers from one speaker to another, one at a time.

You can also try swapping the tweeter itself from L to R speaker. That should tell you what is bad.

Testing individual capacitors is tricky unless you have a very good tester.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I did disassemble the speaker and none of the caps appear to be puffed or leaking, but I assume they can still possibly be bad.
However, I took a (cheap analog) multimeter to the tweeter in the bad speaker and there was basically no resistance across the leads of the tweeter. They are cloth-dome tweeters, so I don't think that is normal, it might be blown.

I'm kind of scared to open up the working speaker and pull the tweeter from it to test with because it is working beautifully..! I went ahead and ordered a replacement tweeter which should arrive soon. Will update if it works.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

So it turns out it was the tweeter. I swapped it with the new one today and it's back to new. I think there was a short in the voice coil but there was still some of the coil left, resulting in a really quiet tweeter that could only play a tiny frequency range.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page