Question about audio interfaces... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Right now I'm using a PreSonus Audiobox USB that only has one set of L/R balanced outputs with a pair of Tannoy 501A studio monitors. I have a SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer in the mail and plan on at least doubling up on the Tannoy's or getting a pair of 601A's to add the the 501A's. Even though the sub has a high-pass frequency output of 80Hz and above to help relieve low-end stress off the monitors (and I will have to use a Y-splitter once I get a second pair of speakers,) ideally, I'd like to be able to get an audio interface with at least 3 pair of L/R output and control the EQ settings on each output going to the different sets of speakers...is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I use a Presonus Firebox with the laptop computer in my living room HT, and it has six analog outputs. But the sub and center come out as separate mono sources on one pair, so you'll need an EQ arrangement that can handle that. I guess that means two stereo EQs plus two mono EQs. Don't some receivers offer EQ intended for this? Maybe getting a new receiver would be simpler.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

. . . Maybe getting a new receiver would be simpler.
Yes, If you want simpler.

But if you're not into simple, try the other extreme:
http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/7-minidsp-kits/flypage/73-minidsp-2x8-kit?sef=hcfp

Two inputs with eight outputs and full cross-over and parametric equalization for $300.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Cool product, but I don't see how it's connected to anything. USB? Does it even have a power supply? biggrin.gif

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Ethan,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling.

As I said, it is not simple. No power-supply: you need to dig-up your own 12 volt DC supply. You configure it through a USB port, using either their software or third-party software, but it is stand-alone once configured. You can run it while configuring it, so that you can hear your changes in real time.

For room correction, here is a view of the AcourateDRC software with some screen-shots: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-room-correction/acouratedrc

For cross-overs, here is a short explanation with a screen-shot: http://www.minidsp.com/applications
The explanation is way too basic for you, but the screen-shot gives you an idea of how it lets you tune a cross-over.

For $500 they do offer a more finished solution here: http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-4x10-hd but you still need to provide a 12 volt wall-wart or other 12 volt DC supply.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page