Multi channel set up levels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone please explain to me what to do if I cannot get one of my rear channels to output at 75db even if I increased the level by the 10db max in the Oppo 105 sound level adjustment stage?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 167
what's the Oppo plugged in to? Does that device have channel level settings that you might be fighting against?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

what's the Oppo plugged in to? Does that device have channel level settings that you might be fighting against?

It is plugged into my Marantz preamp/processor. Analog only. I increased those as well for that back channel.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would suggest not using the multichannel connections from the Oppo to the AVR. There is no need to do that. You are bypassing all the processing features in the Marantz. As a matter of fact it's a step backwards because the adjustments for calibration inside the Oppo are inferior to what's in the AVR with a manual calibration. It's a further step backward from the Audyssey capability. Connect the Oppo with an HDMI cable and your problems will go away and the rest of your system will also sound better due to the better processing in the Marantz.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

The Marantz does not have HDMI. Marantz AV9000.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not sure how I missed that. Thank you. What I said still stands. I think the problem is either an analogue signal gain problem or just an issue with the the limits of the multichannel connection and limited adjustment capability. Multichannel analogue has limits. It's outdated and that's why HDMI and multichannel digital processors in AVR's have taken over.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

Can someone please explain to me what to do if I cannot get one of my rear channels to output at 75db even if I increased the level by the 10db max in the Oppo 105 sound level adjustment stage?
Thanks

Are you saying that only one of two identical rear channels is of low output?  If so, something is defective. To try to localize the problem, you need to confirm that you are set up properly for two (and not one) rear channels and then swap LS/RS at various points in the system.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I'm not sure how I missed that. Thank you. What I said still stands. I think the problem is either an analogue signal gain problem or just an issue with the the limits of the multichannel connection and limited adjustment capability. Multichannel analogue has limits. It's outdated and that's why HDMI and multichannel digital processors in AVR's have taken over.

You stated that "multi channel analog has its limits". Can you further elaborate on that comment? I have been kicking around the idea of selling my Denon AVR-3312 and going to something like an Anthem AVM-20 with some outboard pro-amps and a new Oppo BDP-105 for the decoding with Dolby Truehd and DTS-MA. I originally had this exact same setup only with an Oppo BDP-83 and to be perfectly honest, it sounded better than my current AVR-3312 setup. Especially for 2 channel. So with that being said, what do you think is wrong with using multi channel analog connections? Of course, I realize that loosing the Room Correction software is one thing, but what else?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

You stated that "multi channel analog has its limits". Can you further elaborate on that comment? I have been kicking around the idea of selling my Denon AVR-3312 and going to something like an Anthem AVM-20 with some outboard pro-amps and a new Oppo BDP-105 for the decoding with Dolby Truehd and DTS-MA. I originally had this exact same setup only with an Oppo BDP-83 and to be perfectly honest, it sounded better than my current AVR-3312 setup. Especially for 2 channel. So with that being said, what do you think is wrong with using multi channel analog connections? Of course, I realize that loosing the Room Correction software is one thing, but what else?

Bass management?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 167
So either an amp is defective, a speaker is defective or there's something up the chain.

Switch the speakers. Does the problem follow the speaker? Is the affected speaker low when plugged in to the left front channel, for example? Then the speaker's the problem. Fix or replace.

If the problem doesn't follow the speaker, switch the inputs from the player to the receiver. Does the problem follow the switched location, or stay in the same receiver channel. If it moves, it's a problem with the player. If it stays in the same place its a problem with the receiver. Whichever one is broken needs somebody to fix it. Or replace.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page