Check out my floorplan. Need Acoustic Panel guidelines and sub placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hello

So my Theater Room is 80% complete. I need some help with where to put acoustic treatments, and which type I could fit and go with.

Below is a floor plan with dimensions, also a rough paint.exe sketch of speaker placement and a photo of the front stage.

As you can see, screen size limits speaker placement. Bass traps would have to be small to fit up beside the screen. The cabinet on the right is the fuse panel, so that can't be moved.

Main listening position is about 10 feet from the screen. On the left is the equipment room. I would like to put a door there to seal off that room from the main room.

Behind the theater room is a bar room. I do not plan on closing this off with a wall, but I would consider a heavy curtain. How does the open room behind affect sound ? Is this good or bad ?

Also, yes that is a toolbox holding up the center channel. No it is not permanent lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Hello

So my Theater Room is 80% complete. I need some help with where to put acoustic treatments, and which type I could fit and go with.

Below is a floor plan with dimensions, also a rough paint.exe sketch of speaker placement and a photo of the front stage.

As you can see, screen size limits speaker placement. Bass traps would have to be small to fit up beside the screen. The cabinet on the right is the fuse panel, so that can't be moved.

Main listening position is about 10 feet from the screen. On the left is the equipment room. I would like to put a door there to seal off that room from the main room.

Behind the theater room is a bar room. I do not plan on closing this off with a wall, but I would consider a heavy curtain. How does the open room behind affect sound ? Is this good or bad ?

Also, yes that is a toolbox holding up the center channel. No it is not permanent lol.

At some point you probably need to get involved with acoustic measurements.

If you have a receiver with MCACC, YPAO or Audyssey this is a good starting point.

From there you should find the threads that talk about acoustic measurement software such as Room Eq Wizard (REW).

Every room is different and while your ears are the final judge, measurements can help you move down the road to sonic excellence a lot faster. The investment is nominal.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

I need some help with where to put acoustic treatments, and which type I could fit and go with.

This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics
Quote:

Rectangle rooms have 12 corners, not just four where walls meet other walls. So an obvious place for large amounts of bass trapping is above the ceiling tiles in the wall-ceiling corners above the tiles.
Quote:
How does the open room behind affect sound ? Is this good or bad ?

A larger distance between your ears and a reflecting surface behind is a Good Thing. A curtain might help a little tame excess ambience if it's extremely thick. But proper absorbers would be much better.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

This short article explains the basics in plain English:
Acoustic Basics
Rectangle rooms have 12 corners, not just four where walls meet other walls. So an obvious place for large amounts of bass trapping is above the ceiling tiles in the wall-ceiling corners above the tiles.
A larger distance between your ears and a reflecting surface behind is a Good Thing. A curtain might help a little tame excess ambience if it's extremely thick. But proper absorbers would be much better.
--Ethan

Thanks Ethan and others. I think I will start with bass traps and some early reflection absorbers and go from there. Would there be a noticeable benefit from adding treatments to the rear wall ? It would be over 20' behind the rear most listening position, and almost 40' from the subwoofer and front sound stage. I like the realtraps stuff, but It's tough to figure out if the traps will work in the corners of this room. Above the ceiling tiles wont work because there is only a couple inches between the joists and the panels, as well as ducting.

Now that I've put this all together I'm seeing the benefits more and more of using a screen away from the rear wall with the speakers set back. Having room for the center channel behind the screen as well as acoustic treatments would have been nice.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Bass traps are useful anywhere in a room, even 40 feet away. But ambience control is needed more near the speakers and where you sit while listening. Note that fluffy fiberglass between the joists is useful, anywhere there isn't a duct.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page