What should i set the cut off frequency dial on the back of my sub ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
dazkyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malta , Santa Lucia
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running all my speakers to small with 80 crossover from the avr for all the speakers. At the moment the cut-off frequency on the back of the sub is all the way up.

Thanks !
dazkyl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

Running all my speakers to small with 80 crossover from the avr for all the speakers. At the moment the cut-off frequency on the back of the sub is all the way up.

That is the usually recommended setting, the one that causes no or a minimal high frequency cutoff. This puts the AVR and the recordings LFE channel in control of your system, which is generally the right thing to do.
arnyk is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It depends on what your front speakers are capable of, and what setup capabilities your receiver has.

If they have frequency response down to 50 hz, for example, you don't want an excessive overlap between the front speakers and sub, so the sub should be set to cut off above 60 Hz or so.

On the other hand, if you have tiny front speakers that only go down to 100 Hz, then the subwoofer needs to operate up to that frequency.

Some receivers allow you to set the rolloff individually for each speaker and some will set them all the same, so it depends on the functionality of the receiver setup menu.
commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
dazkyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malta , Santa Lucia
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

It depends on what your front speakers are capable of, and what setup capabilities your receiver has.
If they have frequency response down to 50 hz, for example, you don't want an excessive overlap between the front speakers and sub, so the sub should be set to cut off above 60 Hz or so.
On the other hand, if you have tiny front speakers that only go down to 100 Hz, then the subwoofer needs to operate up to that frequency.
Some receivers allow you to set the rolloff individually for each speaker and some will set them all the same, so it depends on the functionality of the receiver setup menu.
My fronts are jamo s608 and ive set them to small with 80hz crossover so the sub handles from 80hz and down. Right ?
dazkyl is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
All good advice.

If you don't possess measuring capability, play some music with vocals, and with the help of a second person adjust the setting so it's doesn't un-naturally color the vocals,.. yet it retains the extra weight and warmth that the sub is tasked with.

Experiment, it shouldn't draw attention to itself, instead it should add seemlessly to the mains.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
dazkyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malta , Santa Lucia
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

All good advice.
If you don't possess measuring capability, play some music with vocals, and with the help of a second person adjust the setting so it's doesn't un-naturally color the vocals,.. yet it retains the extra weight and warmth that the sub is tasked with.
Experiment, it shouldn't draw attention to itself, instead it should add seemlessly to the mains.
It is. All bass is kinda punchy and smooth but.not that strong. I gues because its a small 8" sub ( jamo sub 250) and the dial on the back is set to 9 to 10 o'clock so it stays smooth and does not rumble.
dazkyl is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,514
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
eljaycanuck is online now  
Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off