I think my setup is wrong - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, i think my setup is all wrong. i have onkyo 606 5.1 setup

for my surround sound speakers i have them placed three feet behind me, i don't really have a good spot to put them on the side. my question is, should i change the surround sound speakers to surround sound back speakers on the receiver? would that make a difference? i also did a audio test with pixar walle in the setup menu. when i go select each individual speaker in the setup the surround sound speakers don't come on at all but the two front speakers do come on instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 511
The surround-sound channels in a 5.1 speaker configuration are the same as the side-surround channels in a 7.1 speaker configuration. You'll lose the audio intended for the side-surround channels if you tell the receiver that they're back-surround speakers.

The best thing to do is to move the surround speakers as far to the sides as you can.

There are lots of player and receiver misconfigurations which could cause you to get only stereo sound and not surround-sound.

Does the receiver's internal Audyssey audio calibration cause sounds to come from all speakers?
If not, check the cabling to the speakers.

Make sure "bitstream" is enabled in the disc player, so you get the audio tracks as they are provided on the disc.

(PCM will only provide multi-channel audio if you use an HDMI connection. PCM over coax or optical digital can only provide two audio channels. With only two audio channels, you usually can get simulated surround sound by enabling ProLogic II in the receiver.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 4 Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Reference for 5.1 setup. Surround speakers at 110 degree.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttran76 View Post

ok, i think my setup is all wrong. i have onkyo 606 5.1 setup
for my surround sound speakers i have them placed three feet behind me,
Ok.
Quote:
should i change the surround sound speakers to surround sound back speakers on the receiver? would that make a difference? i also did a audio test with pixar walle in the setup menu. when i go select each individual speaker in the setup the surround sound speakers don't come on at all but the two front speakers do come on instead.
If you are using a 5.1 test signal, and you can hear L/C/R/Sub but cannot hear L/Rs, then something is wrong. Maybe your AVR wants the surrounds in a 5.1 setup to connect to the rear amp outputs. Odd, but who knows. This should be shown in the manual.

Try it. If it works, check the speaker level calibrations again.

If the surrounds are still silent, more digging needed.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page