multi channel PCM in Windows 7 not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm attempting to output multichannel PCM from blu-rays, .mkv's, and games from my Windows 7 rig.

Radeon 6950 -> HDMI -> Harman Kardon AVR 247 with firmware update.

Bitstreaming DD and DTS works fine.
Using Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect to encode and send surround game audio works fine.
The AVR 247 supposedly gained 5.1 and 7.1 multi channel LPCM support through the latest firmware upate which I just applied.

When I attempt to send multichannel PCM from my PC, my AVR seems to just be receiving just 2 channels. It shows only the front 2 channels lit up on the front display, and wants to upconvert with Pro Logic, etc. I've read from other 247 owners that it shows "Multichannel PCM" on the front display when it's working.

In Control Panel -> Sound, "AMD HDMI Output" shows 8 channels available for output.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmooresucks View Post

I'm attempting to output multichannel PCM from blu-rays, .mkv's, and games from my Windows 7 rig.

Radeon 6950 -> HDMI -> Harman Kardon AVR 247 with firmware update.

Bitstreaming DD and DTS works fine.
Using Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect to encode and send surround game audio works fine.
The AVR 247 supposedly gained 5.1 and 7.1 multi channel LPCM support through the latest firmware upate which I just applied.

When I attempt to send multichannel PCM from my PC, my AVR seems to just be receiving just 2 channels. It shows only the front 2 channels lit up on the front display, and wants to upconvert with Pro Logic, etc. I've read from other 247 owners that it shows "Multichannel PCM" on the front display when it's working.

In Control Panel -> Sound, "AMD HDMI Output" shows 8 channels available for output.

The player software usually has a lot to say about how this works.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My "player software" is PowerDVD 11, VLC, and tons of games. What can they say about how this works?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 229
things to check:

Some HDMI implementations -- typically in older laptops -- do not permit >2 channels of PCM to be passed. If that's true, you're out of luck. Do some research on the 6950 to see if this is the case.

If you can, set output resolution to something high -- 720 or 1080. This should allow more bandwith for the signal.

Check your Windows 'playback devices' settings, turn off all processing for the HDMI output (you'll have to have HDMI connected to do this).

Make sure your software player settings are not downmixing either.

I use Foobar2000 (+ WASAPI output plugin) on a 2012 Sony VAIO laptop running Win 7, Intel HD Graphics 4000, HDMI output is 1080p, running into a late model DENON AVR -- no mch PCM audio issues over HDMI.