AVS Forum Special Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madison, Alabama
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Multi-channel " stereo " modes sounding " louder " than discreet multi-channel modes is typical. What generally happens is that the SAME signal from a stereo source is pumped to ALL the speakers at the same level. The center is usually a combination of left and right and the back speakers will usually be mirrors of the left and right ( like the old quadraphonic. ) Of course HOW this is done depends upon the AVR brand. Surround modes don't sound as " loud " because the SUM TOTAL volume of all the speakers won't exceed the original signal volume by much. It is typically 70% for the Left, Center, Right, and remaining 30% for the surrounds. All this, of course, depends upon what is done in the mixing room. A lot of older stuff that was originally in Stereo and " up-mixed " to surround will actually sound " fuller " because there really wasn't any discreet surround data originally and it either has to be taken from the stereo mix or added in post-production, whether it is through additional foley work or digital sound effects.
I generally play everything in Audyssey DSX and switch to DTS Neo-X or PLIIz when something doesn't sound right. I rarely ever use the Multi-Channel Stereo mode now.
To me it is the opposite now, but I have PLENTY of power to go around. Playing something in 2-channel mode sounds flat and boring, even in 5/7/9-channel Stereo mode. Using Audyssey provides a little depth to the soundtrack/music but that may be because I'm not using any room treatments. These may be imperfections in my untreated room and would probably make the purists cringe. LOL
Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.