Blu-Rays (and everything else) sounds better in Multi-Stereo than on the Pro Logic II with my 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been surprised to find that the Multiple stereo setting with my 5.1 system sounds louder, richer and fuller than the Pro Logic II Movie mode or any other setting with Blu-Rays, games, dvds, etc. Is this normal? What I'm hearing sounds great, but I guess I expected some sort of an improvement over multiple stereo with a true surround signal, not a decrease in sound quality. I find myself having to dramatically raise the volume whenever I switch from Multiple Stereo surround mode to Pro Logic II Movie or Music mode. The latter modes just sound thin, especially before raising the volume way higher than I have it on the multi-stereo mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

I have been surprised to find that the Multiple stereo setting with my 5.1 system sounds louder, richer and fuller than the Pro Logic II Movie mode or any other setting with Blu-Rays, games, dvds, etc. Is this normal? What I'm hearing sounds great, but I guess I expected some sort of an improvement over multiple stereo with a true surround signal, not a decrease in sound quality. I find myself having to dramatically raise the volume whenever I switch from Multiple Stereo surround mode to Pro Logic II Movie or Music mode. The latter modes just sound thin, especially before raising the volume way higher than I have it on the multi-stereo mode.

Pro-Logic is not "true surround" iirc

IIRC Pro-Logic settings allow the receiver to take a stereo signal and interpolate it into 5.1

You're reciever should be set in some sort of Auto/Direct mode to allow the receiver to read the incomming input and output it correctly.

Pro logic would be used if you wanted to turn a stereo music track into surround, or a stereo show/movie that may not have a 5.1 track.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #3 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Is this normal?
It's more normal than not for typical consumers. When choosing to listen to stereo sources in surround, the general public seems to prefer sending the same signal to all the speakers rather than sending extracted ambience to the surround speakers. The former is closer to what they expect "surround sound" to be than the latter. I've experienced this with friends and co-workers I've helped setting up their systems, seen it repeatedly in store demos, and heard it from people I know in the installation business. And it's usually for the same reason you mentioned: "sounds louder".

Sanjay
post #4 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Pro-Logic is not "true surround" iirc
IIRC Pro-Logic settings allow the receiver to take a stereo signal and interpolate it into 5.1
You're reciever should be set in some sort of Auto/Direct mode to allow the receiver to read the incomming input and output it correctly.
Pro logic would be used if you wanted to turn a stereo music track into surround, or a stereo show/movie that may not have a 5.1 track.
I will try the Auto/Direct mode. I seem to recall it not being any better sounding, but I'm not sure if I have used it with Blu-Ray. So, I'll give it a try soon.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Multi-channel " stereo " modes sounding " louder " than discreet multi-channel modes is typical. What generally happens is that the SAME signal from a stereo source is pumped to ALL the speakers at the same level. The center is usually a combination of left and right and the back speakers will usually be mirrors of the left and right ( like the old quadraphonic. ) Of course HOW this is done depends upon the AVR brand. Surround modes don't sound as " loud " because the SUM TOTAL volume of all the speakers won't exceed the original signal volume by much. It is typically 70% for the Left, Center, Right, and remaining 30% for the surrounds. All this, of course, depends upon what is done in the mixing room. A lot of older stuff that was originally in Stereo and " up-mixed " to surround will actually sound " fuller " because there really wasn't any discreet surround data originally and it either has to be taken from the stereo mix or added in post-production, whether it is through additional foley work or digital sound effects.

I generally play everything in Audyssey DSX and switch to DTS Neo-X or PLIIz when something doesn't sound right. I rarely ever use the Multi-Channel Stereo mode now.

To me it is the opposite now, but I have PLENTY of power to go around. Playing something in 2-channel mode sounds flat and boring, even in 5/7/9-channel Stereo mode. Using Audyssey provides a little depth to the soundtrack/music but that may be because I'm not using any room treatments. These may be imperfections in my untreated room and would probably make the purists cringe. LOL

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #6 of 6 Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
The only thing I'd add to this discussion is this: I'm a little confused as to wheteher the OP opts to downmix 5.1 content to stereo so he can hear it eaqually loud from all the speakers. If so, you lose sound effects placement. Something zooming across the back of the room ceases to be zooming across the back of the room. It's everywhere.

An alternative, especially if you don't have a receiver with a technology like Audyssey Dynamic EQ, is to simply turn your surrounds up a bit. In general, surrounds in movies are quieter than the front stage. What happens for those of us who listen at less than "reference" (ie freakin loud) levels is the surrounds become inaudible, or incompletely audible while the front stage is still fine. Adding a few dB to the surrounds will mitigate this reasonably and let you hear the mix the way it was mixed.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page