Surround placement 5.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone
Like a lot of people, Im sure, I just got a new set of speakers for my system and I need some assistance for optimal placement
Currently, I have just a 3.1 setup on my receiver which supports 7.2 (Onkyo something or other). I have a set of Polk book case speakers for the front and a Polk center with a no name sub next to it. I just got a set of surrounds and Im not quite sure where to place them for a 5.1 system. See diagram below

My room is just about 18-20' or so square. Not quite to scale, just a terrible MS paint diagram of the room. To the right is the stairs going up which are open to the living room. The problem arises with the main support beam with is pretty much directly above our seating position and its corresponding support columns. Im afraid if I put the speakers for side surrounds, the columns would be in the way. The room is flanked to the rear and left side by a lot of windows, so the only option there would be high. Really my only option for side surround would be slightly in front of our normal seating position. Would having the surrounds in the far rear corners of the room work for this situation? High and in the rear corner is wide open for mounting, so Im leaning that way. Would a 5.1 system be fine with rears and no sides? My Onkyo system has some sort of auto syncing microphone setup that I can use to get everything calibrated.

Suggestions welcome and Merry Christmas to all celebrating today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Merry Christmas to you also

My room is described below.

Hopefully it shows up.
this is how I did mine. it works great. and the speakers are powered at this point by an Onkyo tx sr 606 receiver.

Hope this helps you out on this Christmas day

Scott

Downstairs bedroom/ theater. 25 ft long 15 ft wide. 8 ft ceiling.
half bedroom/ half theater(also tv, gaming, music whatnot)
Theater Specs:
Panasonic Ax100U Projector with 87" screen. Backed by a 5.1 surround sound Klipsch Quintet 2 speakers and a Klipsch RW12d subwoofer. Onkyo TX/SR606 Receiver.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luken8r View Post

High and in the rear corner is wide open for mounting, so Im leaning that way.
That's what I would do in that room: place the surrounds in the rear tri-corners of the room. The multiple reflective surfaces will diffuse the sound a little, giving a bit more envelopment. The wide separation will help maintain left-vs-right stereo separation in the surround field. Remember to hook up those speakers to the Surround connections, not Surround-Back connections.

BTW, with your seating away from the back wall, you're an ideal candidate for a 7.1 speaker layout. IF you get another pair of those surround bookshelf speakers, then place those on the side walls, slightly forward of your listening area (just after the opening/window on the left side and symmetrically on the right side). At that point, you'll have to unplug the speakers behind you from the Surround connections and make them your Surround-Back speakers, since the pair along your sides will now be your Surround speakers. Will give you better wrap-around envelopment AND excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. Something to think about down the road.

Sanjay
post #4 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the validation, thats what Im really leaning towards. I would like to do a 7.2, however I didnt do all the research I shouldve on my receiver. The main reason I bought it was for a two zone setup, inside for main AV purposes and zone 2 for an outside speaker setup. My receiver can only do either 7.2 inside or a 5.2 inside and the stereo outside. The surround back is either that or the second zone, no separation, so its either/or. The zone 2 is the surround back.
Anyway, I think thats my option for speaker placement. Sitting here now, if I put my surrounds parallel (90*) from the main listening position on the couch, it would be blocked by the beam directly over head. The rear corner is really only maybe 6' back from there so I think thats it. Just as long as hooking the surround L/R is OK for that far back, I guess Im good to go
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page