Speaker Wire next to Electrical Wire - In wall question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the forum and have read countless threads that state DO NOT DO THIS and if that they should cross at 90 degree angles if they have to touch and they should not be run through the same holes in the framing, etc, etc. I now understand all this after reading these threads.

Here is my situation. I am remodeling a house and redid the electrical and drywall. I have run some 12 gauge Monoprice In wall speaker wire (has the white jacket over the speaker wire) to a few areas through the house (its a small ranch home). Having not done my homework first, I have the speaker wire running along side the electrical wire and through the same holes in the framing. They run side by side with the new electrical wires in the framing from the floor to ceiling (about 8 feet) and then separate once they reach the attic. None of the speakers I will be running are powered. Two go to the outside patio and will probably be some small Polk Atrium 4 or 5's. I have one speaker wire running to the ceiling of my kitchen for a single small ceiling mount speaker and two wires running to the back for my l/r rears. I now have drywall glued and screwed to the framing and they are finishing the drywall as I write this. I wish I read about this more and did best practice and separated the two before drywall went up but I didn't. So, my question is....aside from the fact that I did not follow best practices for separating the two, is it a sure thing that my speakers are going to sound like crap or is it possible that they will still perform just fine. I'm inclined to cross my fingers and hope for the best. If I have a problem, I'll cut my losses and rewire under the carpet or baseboard later on. Does it have a chance at sounding okay? Anyone else make this mistake and everything was okay sound wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Passive speakers, that is speakers without built in amplifiers, will not be affected by AC power lines. First they have no electrical gain so any induced 60hz field cannot be amplified further, Second the impedance of a modern power amplifier is an ohm or less. This means it's highly immune to outside electrical fields.

So no, I don't think you will have any problems.

Now electrical code is another matter. They don't want low voltage wiring mixed with high voltage wiring for safety reasons. But in your case I would not worry about it.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply. I read many of your posts in other threads on this topic and even debated sending you a PM. I had this sinking feeling in my stomach once I realized this is generally frowned upon but figured for the little bit of wire that is running parallel to electrical wire and the fact that I will be running some small speakers I was hoping it would work out in the end. Sounds like it will be okay. And if for some reason it has sound interference, I will find a way to run new wire in the crawl instead of the attic.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgemtn View Post

I searched the forum and have read countless threads that state DO NOT DO THIS and if that they should cross at 90 degree angles if they have to touch and they should not be run through the same holes in the framing, etc, etc. I now understand all this after reading these threads.

Here is my situation. I am remodeling a house and redid the electrical and drywall. I have run some 12 gauge Monoprice In wall speaker wire (has the white jacket over the speaker wire) to a few areas through the house (its a small ranch home). Having not done my homework first, I have the speaker wire running along side the electrical wire and through the same holes in the framing. They run side by side with the new electrical wires in the framing from the floor to ceiling (about 8 feet) and then separate once they reach the attic. None of the speakers I will be running are powered. Two go to the outside patio and will probably be some small Polk Atrium 4 or 5's. I have one speaker wire running to the ceiling of my kitchen for a single small ceiling mount speaker and two wires running to the back for my l/r rears. I now have drywall glued and screwed to the framing and they are finishing the drywall as I write this. I wish I read about this more and did best practice and separated the two before drywall went up but I didn't. So, my question is....aside from the fact that I did not follow best practices for separating the two, is it a sure thing that my speakers are going to sound like crap or is it possible that they will still perform just fine. I'm inclined to cross my fingers and hope for the best. If I have a problem, I'll cut my losses and rewire under the carpet or baseboard later on. Does it have a chance at sounding okay? Anyone else make this mistake and everything was okay sound wise?

I've never seen a regular speaker cable pick up audible noise from any regular 120 volt power wiring, even when cables lie right next to each other for like 100 feet. This includes power wiring related to diimmers, etc. Its possible that if the power cables were used for arc welding that there might be some audible noise. Or not.

If you keep low voltage wiring and 120 VAC wiring 6 inches or more apart inside a wall, don't run them through the same holes, under the same clamps or staples, don't run them in the same conduit or raceway, and don't share junction boxes, you should be just fine as far as the electrical code goes.
Gizmologist likes this.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page