Odd room configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like many, I received a HTiB for Christmas (Sony BDVN790W). I have read the basic setup guide on this site, but I have not been able to find a solution to my problem. I have a semi-circular, but semi-irregular seating arrangment. The television is in the corner of the room, and I can place the front speakers at approximately ear level, but I cannot make the "Golden Triangle" without mounting the speakers on the window. I can place them, at most, five feet apart. This would make them approximately 11 feet from the seating area. As for the surround speakers I have referenced the drawings included in the setup directions, and can place the right surround at approximately 140 degrees. I could place this one at the 90-110 degrees suggested, but I could not make the recommended height above the ear level. As for the left surround, this can be at best 110 degrees and about 3 feet above ear level. The two surround speakers are approximately 14-20 feet apart, depending on the configuration.

I realize this is not an optimal situation, but I would like to do the best with what I have. Is it best to have a rectangle with the speakers, even if this means that some of the listening area is outside of this rectangle? Is it better to have the surround speakers as close to the 90-110 degree set up, even if this results in a trapezoidal configuration? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If you post a few photos and (better) a basic drawing, that would help a lot.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 3 Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlr815 View Post

Like many, I received a HTiB for Christmas (Sony BDVN790W). I have read the basic setup guide on this site, but I have not been able to find a solution to my problem. I have a semi-circular, but semi-irregular seating arrangment. The television is in the corner of the room, and I can place the front speakers at approximately ear level, but I cannot make the "Golden Triangle" without mounting the speakers on the window. I can place them, at most, five feet apart. This would make them approximately 11 feet from the seating area. As for the surround speakers I have referenced the drawings included in the setup directions, and can place the right surround at approximately 140 degrees. I could place this one at the 90-110 degrees suggested, but I could not make the recommended height above the ear level. As for the left surround, this can be at best 110 degrees and about 3 feet above ear level. The two surround speakers are approximately 14-20 feet apart, depending on the configuration.
I realize this is not an optimal situation, but I would like to do the best with what I have. Is it best to have a rectangle with the speakers, even if this means that some of the listening area is outside of this rectangle? Is it better to have the surround speakers as close to the 90-110 degree set up, even if this results in a trapezoidal configuration? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Go on the Dolby and THX web site's, and take a look at the speaker placement arrangements. TV in the corner with left and right, and or center front speakers work out very well sonically. I guess there is often a bad seat, even in a commercial theater.

Espo77
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page