Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. I have to breathe.

Heres my story:

Used to live in an apt, where my 300 dollar Onkyo HT all inclusive did ok. Tiny apartment, awesome sound characteristics.

Moved to big open concept house. 300 dollar Onkyo system sounded like my cell phone playing music. lol. I even thought the whole thing broke during shipment.

Then I started researching home theaters and learned just like any other hobby, this one also had a high vertical ladder of involvement, and I was right at the bottom.

Skip ahead 1 month (about 1 week ago real time) and now I have 4 FS52's, the pioneer center, an Onkyo 818 and all hooked up with a higher gauge wire.

Now at this point Ive started researching everything about audio, what that Dolby thing I always saw on everything meant, how to setup my PS3 and receiver to get the audio as it was intended to hear, what reference level is, everything. Got it all set up and honestly, didnt even need a subwoofer Ive been so blown away by the system, listening to iron man bluray was just insane.

I am at the point where i dont even care about the movie as much as I do about how it sounds. I listened to some poorly mixed movies and it could be the number one oscar winning best movie ever, ill hate it lol. Im sure with time as I settle in with my new equipment thatll go away.

Last week I bought a klipsch rw12d because i knew it would be nice to have a subwoofer. Didnt do much research, got it for 299, so i thought ok whatever. Well. Lets just say it didnt even begin to keep up with the rest of my system. My room ate it alive, and the only thing that worked decently was nearfield placement, but still, wasnt happy with it. Boomy, i could hear port chuffing, just ugly sounding subwoofer for my purposes.

Did some research, talked to some guys, had some drinks and Ive pulled the trigger on a Rythmik FV15HP, with the intentions of buying another one sometime next year.

I am feeling a little queezy after spending so much (my initial budget was 1000 for everything, i just dropped 1200 on a sub lol). But, I hope it all comes together since I love music and movies so much, I think this will be a good investment.

Thanks for reading!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey puredrive I know exactly what you mean. I started out with a HTIB and eventually moved up to a multi thousand dollar system, and afterwards I realized I spent more on my audio system than my screen/tv which actually makes no sense but I don't care. Once you hear good sound, you can't go back it's like a blindfold has been removed, but for your ears.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 744
When I started reading that you thought your Pio speakers alone were good enough all I could think of was...wait until he hears a good sub. Not that the Klipsch RW12D is a slouch, but in a big room/space any single sub can have trouble, altho no doubt a Rythmik can do much better (and I definitely encourage multiples). Just how big is your space? I think your speakers are probably what you'll upgrade next smile.gif Just sayin'....

post #4 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

So im looking at over 4,000 ft^3 of irregular space.

Maybe Ill get around to drawing a diagram and having some of you more knowledgeable members recommend the next speakers.

The klipsch did make the experience a lot better, but it it had some undesirable characteristics that really annoyed me.

I think the rythmiks will do a better job. Im not expecting a miracle, but just a certain quality standard. My plan is to get a 2nd down the road for sure.

Im in between another sub or new speakers for the next upgrade. I may have to shop the pre owned market in order to do the speakers sooner.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Upgraditis is a biatch! smile.gif Personally I'd go for the second sub before new speakers in any case. I have a big living room, bigger than your total space (you calculate that right?). I started with an Epik Empire (dual opposed 15" sealed design). Thought that was good but then found some subs for the bedroom on sale (Infinity PSW 310s) but put them in the living room first and they're still there as I like how they fill out the living room more for now (then recently got a Klipsch RW12D for the bedroom). Would like to get another Empire or two (or multiple Submersives, Funks, Capitvators, DIY monsters, etc.) but have to let the bank account catch up with my woofage desires at the moment. Multiples do a lot more than I originally thought, as didn't appreciate the evening of response they can offer (instead of just additional spl/headroom).

post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I went from an HTIB to over 9 different speaker sets in one year. Only 5 of the sets stayed in my set up for more than a week. Should've went big from the start hahaha

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yea i think I will go for the 2nd sub too.

That size figure is calculated btw. The living room part is a little smaller, just short of 2000 ft^3, but its part of that ~4,500 area.

And man, this upgrade thing is crazy. Im gonna stop visiting you guys here so I can enjoy my system for a month lol!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I went from an HTIB to over 9 different speaker sets in one year. Only 5 of the sets stayed in my set up for more than a week. Should've went big from the start hahaha

Thats crazy! These and my brother in laws monitor polks are the only speakers Ive really ever heard in a decent setup, so I think i will avoid listening to a really nice one or I think im gonna go down the same road you did!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page