Do Any Audiophile, Sound Pressure Attenuating, Ear Devices Exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm interested if there are any products that can be recommended so that I may enjoy live concerts (eg, rock) without a major loss of fidelity and enjoyment such as with ear plugs.

Due to inner ear disorders (well known to me and my doctors), I experience 2-3 days of tinnitus, vertigo, blurred vision, ear fullness, and nausea after a typical Green Day or Who concert for example. I know that I'm not the only one affected by loud volumes. Using ear plugs, the overall volume is safely muffled, but they seem to block the upper middle to higher frequencies disproportionately and are unsatisfactory to appreciate the music. I'm wondering, are there any solutions out there that can reduce the overall SPL delivered to the ears while maintaining the frequencies created by the musicians?

Come to think of it, more often than attending concerts, some movie theaters (with certain movies) have played reference or seemingly louder causing me to plug my ears with my fingers for protection. I'm hopeful there is a recommendation, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 980
No personal experience, but a quick search got this http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html. I'd look at what the professionals use in any case.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Start buying tickets near the back
post #4 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Lovinthehd, many thanks! A bit embarrassed that I couldn't/didn't Internet search before posting.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 164
IIRC thosevetys are highlybregarded among musicians for whom at leat relatively hi fi sound through the earplugs can be quite critical when playing live and judging relative balance etc. I oughta get some so my tinnitos doesnt worsen.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The etymotics have been around a while and have a good rep. There are several other brands of plugs listed as "for musicians" but the ones I have are apparently made by a company long out of business... They appear to be just cheap foam but have a bit more open cell foam and are flatter (best I can tell) than the cheapies I get for shooting. Another option, albeit quite expensive, is custom fitted plugs. They can be adjusted for weighting; a friend has a pair but with fitting and all I think they came in at around $600/pr. A final option are shooter's plugs or muffs that let you hear normally but close off when it gets too loud. Some use a simple switch and amplifier system; the better ones have a compressor. Both types fail to provide flat 20 - 20 kHz response IME (made mainly for midrange).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's probably way overkill (not to mention $$$$), but the Sensaphonics 3D Active Ambient in-ear monitors have built-in binaural microphones that can be mixed with the monitor feed. Freq response is 20 Hz - 16 KHz, and the mics can handle up to 140 dB SPL before clipping.

I've used their 2X-S IEMs, which are very comfortable for long-session wear.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page