Am I missing anything from my setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this might sound dumb but this will be my first time setting up a 5.1 system and I want to make sure I am not missing anything critical to the system running properly. I recently returned my new Bose system when I found out it wasn't capable of true 5.1 surround sound (I honestly didn't know you needed 5 speakers for that) and now I have ordered my new setup and before it arrives I want to make sure I have everything I need. So if one of the experts here wouldn't mind looking at my setup and letting me know if I missed anything major. Also I have never used a receiver before so I just assume each speaker/sub plugs right into the receiver and then receiver/sub plugs into the wall right? Thanks in advance for your help, I just don't want to miss something easy because I am a total newb.

Receiver

Subwoofer

Fronts

Center

Sides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm assuming you have a BD player already so....

Speaker wire.....cables (HDMI etc).....stands for speakers..... and an all-in-one remote (makes life ALOT easier)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared by AV View Post

So this might sound dumb but this will be my first time setting up a 5.1 system and I want to make sure I am not missing anything critical to the system running properly. I recently returned my new Bose system when I found out it wasn't capable of true 5.1 surround sound (I honestly didn't know you needed 5 speakers for that) and now I have ordered my new setup and before it arrives I want to make sure I have everything I need. So if one of the experts here wouldn't mind looking at my setup and letting me know if I missed anything major. Also I have never used a receiver before so I just assume each speaker/sub plugs right into the receiver and then receiver/sub plugs into the wall right? Thanks in advance for your help, I just don't want to miss something easy because I am a total newb.

Receiver

Subwoofer

Fronts

Center

Sides

Looks good, though the 40s might have been a better choice for the mains. Ive used both the 30s and 40s for mains in my bedroom set up, and while the 30s are decent the 40s are better.

Already mentioned was the cables and stands and blu-ray player etc. When it comes to speaker cables, sub cable and hdmi cables etc check out monoprice.com for some killer prices on good cable. Don't get caught up in the hype regarding expensive name brand cables being "better", simply put there is little to no difference to be gained by breaking the bank on expensive cables.

since you dont have any experience with a modern avr, i suggest you take a look for an official owners thread for the pioneer you are getting here in the receiver forum section. Also might not be a bad idea to download the owners manual and take a look through it while you are waiting for your gear to get to you. The back of the receiver is labeled with what inputs are what and what speaker goes where etc, and it should be fairly easy to figure out how to plug everything together.

What is your room like? do you have a lay out in mind when everything arrives? have you researched subwoofer set up procedures and "sub crawl" to help find the best location for the sub? have you researched how to properly lay out a 5.1 set up....as in where to place each speaker for optimum results?

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Looks good, though the 40s might have been a better choice for the mains. Ive used both the 30s and 40s for mains in my bedroom set up, and while the 30s are decent the 40s are better.
Already mentioned was the cables and stands and blu-ray player etc. When it comes to speaker cables, sub cable and hdmi cables etc check out monoprice.com for some killer prices on good cable. Don't get caught up in the hype regarding expensive name brand cables being "better", simply put there is little to no difference to be gained by breaking the bank on expensive cables.
since you dont have any experience with a modern avr, i suggest you take a look for an official owners thread for the pioneer you are getting here in the receiver forum section. Also might not be a bad idea to download the owners manual and take a look through it while you are waiting for your gear to get to you. The back of the receiver is labeled with what inputs are what and what speaker goes where etc, and it should be fairly easy to figure out how to plug everything together.
What is your room like? do you have a lay out in mind when everything arrives? have you researched subwoofer set up procedures and "sub crawl" to help find the best location for the sub? have you researched how to properly lay out a 5.1 set up....as in where to place each speaker for optimum results?

Yeah the only 40s I could find were on amazon and they were more than double the price of the 30s frown.gif Its okay though because the idea is to have a system that is upgradable. One day I can get the 40s then take the 30s I own and make a 2.1 setup in our den or something.

As for cables; I was just going to pick up some extra HDMI cables from Wal-Mart. I have 2 really nice Monster HDMI cables so I will just get a few generic HDMI cables. As for speaker cable I was told I need 16AWG for the rear speakers, is that correct? If so can I use 16AWG for the front and center speakers? And won't the sub come with a sub cable or do I have to buy one separately?

Oh wow I didn't think there would be a thread for my receiver! I will have to check that out, that is a good idea, thanks!

My setup will be in the living room and it is a pretty much square, probably 15x20. I plan to have the front 3 speakers on the media stand, the sub along the same wall but on the floor a few feet away from the media stand. As for the side speakers I will put them on the wall facing the media stand, about 3 feet off the ground, and my couch is along this same wall so there will be a side speaker on either side of the couch. It is also important to note that I have no idea what a "sub crawl" is....
post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I suggest that you get a roll of 14 gauge pure copper speaker wire. 16 gauge is marginal. It might be OK for runs less than 6 feet long, but that is about it.

Monoprice #2791...100 feet for $25...cheap.

For over 30 feet, use 12 gauge.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You replied to my thread, I just read through what you have ordered and am anxiously awaiting your feedback here! I hope it kicks a$$ for you!!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post

You replied to my thread, I just read through what you have ordered and am anxiously awaiting your feedback here! I hope it kicks a$$ for you!!

YeahI hope it kicks ass too! Based on the reviews on amazon and newegg I think it should be pretty good. I will have to slightly adjust my media stand to accommodate the huge center speaker but given the color of the speaker and my media stand it will look fine when installed so no big deal. I also like the idea of upgrading. Eventually I might get a high end receiver and better front speakers and in which case I could move these downstairs and have a pretty nice 2.1 system.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Well? smile.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry Shane I had been meaning to write up a full review of my setup, but just haven't had much time! I will be brief here and hope to write a more full review when I have more time. Overall: VERY impressed with the equipment and it works really well for my needs. A lot of people on this forum have given my receiver a bad review but mainly because they have problems with Pandora and AirPlay working correctly. For me this is a non-issue because I have Pandora on like 3 other devices that hook into the reciever and I have an Apple TV that I can use for AirPlay. I only need the reciever to process the sound, upconvert when I'm not watching bluray, and have plenty of HDMI inputs (it has 6!). So if you are like me and don't plan on using AirPlay or Pandora from the reciever then this will be a good reciever for you. Setup was somewhat simple and everything seems to work as intended. I might go in and "turn up" my rear speakers because sometimes the sound is very faint. I say I "might" do that because I think that is the way it is supposed to work, here is what I mean: When I am watching a dialogue based show (news, sportscenter, drama shows, etc) the rear volume is very low but on an action movie or sports game (Avengers, Madden13, etc) the rear volume is fantastic. I think this is done on purpose because there really should be any "rear sound" in a CNN broadcast or whatever. I plan on playing with it and hope to find a happy medium.

As for the speakers, I am very happy with them as well. People told me the m30s might be too small for fronts but these guys can really rock and the sub can pick up anything they can't do. It is also nice because they are small and don't take up much space. I also like that the sub, fronts and center all match, so it looks great. One thing to note; the center channel speaker is HUGE, and I am very lucky it fits into my media center but I'm sure a lot of people won't be as lucky as I was so make sure you have space for it.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Great to hear!! I look every day to see your review, figured it's been long enough! biggrin.gif

There is a Klipsch KSW-10" sub on craigslist for $140 but have no clue if it's a good deal or not, or if it will suffice for my space. That is what I am about to research on this forum.....
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared by AV View Post

Am I missing anything from my setup?

Trust in your own choices, patience and time to experiment with change in your system.

Besides that, it looks like you're well on your way to audio bliss! I own the same sub in my living room HT system.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page