value of wides and heights - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I don't have a Denon 4311 or 4520 yet but plan on one sometime soon. I currently run 7.4 and haven't been looking into wides or heights yet. I just ran up on a good deal on def tech 450s that would match my l,c r speakers and I would like to know if you think that wides (or heights) for that matter make a decent addition to the soundstage. 90% movies - sic-fi favorite genre.

the deal expires in a couple of hours.

thanks
ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Before adding wides/heights hopefully your listening area has the appropriate acoustic analysis and treatments applied.

Look at my signature link for 11.x info, in that link are links to each of the 3 codecs threads and their discussion.

Key, is your room layout and constraints, can you add them within their location guidelines?

Your question as worded will garner subjective opinions, so I'll add mine.

Yes, I do feel both my wides and height speakers have enhanced the surround experience. Mine are newly added just a few weeks ago, been too busy to give them an A vs B evaluation.

I've not seen/read any yet either, except from the 3 codec makers their marketing material.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

I don't have a Denon 4311 or 4520 yet but plan on one sometime soon.
The value of Wides and Heights depends on what you're feeding them. Audyssey generates early reflections (that weren't in the original recording) using concert hall acoustics as a guide. By comparison, DTS Neo:X extracts Wide and Height information from the recording itself. Audyssey is doing room simulation, to give the impression of a larger space. Neo:X is trying to bridge the gap between speakers, to give the impression of a seamless bubble of sound.

There are enough people that like both approaches that it ultimately comes down to personal preference. The Denon 4520 has both surround processing technologies, so you can compare generated Wides & Heights vs extracted Wides & Heights in order to find out which you prefer. The 4311 doesn't have Neo:X, so you can't make that comparison.

As to relative value, I think a 7-speaker layout (like you already have) does a good job of creating a ring of sound around the listener. If I had to add another pair of speakers, it would be Heights, so that I could turn that ring of sound into more of a bubble of sound. By comparison, adding a pair of Wide speakers between my Fronts and Sides is the last thing I would do, since I already get good imaging at that location.

Sanjay
post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My Yamaha z9 has a presence speaker setting that is probably like the heights. I might give them a try
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

My Yamaha z9 has a presence speaker setting that is probably like the heights.
Yamaha generates ambience for its presence speakers, which will be closer to the Audyssey DSX heights, but not at all like DTS Neo:X or Dolby PLIIz heights (which are extracted).

Sanjay
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have heard great things about using wides with the Denon AVR-4520, but they have to be similar, if not matching the mains. If you already have Def Tech SM-450's for your Left and Right mains, then adding another pair of SM-450's would be the ideal way of doing it. You also have to have plenty of space in order to do this properly. From what I have heard, just by my own listening, and from other friends opinions, adding wides is a whole lot better than adding hights. I also run Definitive Technology speakers, (BP-30's for L+R's and a C/L/R-2000 center) and when I make the jump to 11.2, I will try and find another pair of BP-30's, or possibly a pair of BP-10b's. (note that I may end up selling my beloved BP30 setup in favor of a trio of either Seos-12's or Corn-Scalas, still trying to decide!)
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 49
+1 to front wides comparable to front mains, and to front wides in any room with a wide front stage.

HAve fun,
Frank
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page