Yamaha RX-V473 setup to a TV with HDMI inputs that do not have an audio return channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am setting up my Yamaha RX-V473 to my Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U 50" plasma which does not have ARC (audio return channel) capabilities on the HDMI ports. According to the user manual for the Yamaha receiver, if I have a TV that doesn't have ARC support I need to run an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver.

I don't understand why I would need to do this if all of my video devices are going through my receiver.

For example, I have a PS3 connected to my receiver via HDMI. Whether my TV is on or not I can hear the audio from the PS3. Then the HDMI out on my receiver is connected to the HDMI input on my tv. So again, the audio is run through my audio receiver.

Is there any reason/scenario that I would need the optical audio cable going from my tv back to the receiver? Not sure why the manual would tell me to do this unless it assumes I have devices connected directly to the TV and in that case the TV needs to send those devices' audio signals? Is there any sort of sync issue that using the optical audio cable would help with?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
No need for optical, which would only be used to feed audio from the TV to the AVR for signals acquired by the TV that cannot otherwise get to the receiver.

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver