Ditching HTiB, thoughts on this budget build going forward? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've done a bit of research and had some folks more in the know recommend a few things for me. Currently I am using a solid Onkyo HTiB setup but it doesn't support HDMI inputs, a bummer for a fan of Blu-rays who wants to check out HD audio.

I thought about going with another HTiB that does support that but some have suggested just selling it and putting it towards a new receiver and speakers.

I figure I can probably get $200 out of my HTiB, and I can maybe budget another $150-$200 for the time being.

These were recommended to me, and I may actually go with 6 of them, using one for the center and selling the spare 6th one. Ive seen them as low as $120 shipped for 3 sets.

This was the receiver suggested.

I cant really position a 7.1 speaker setup in my current place, so I don't there is a rush on that. This puts me about on budget, with a bit to spare to put towards a sub in the near future.

Does this seem like a solid build? Any other recommendations? Ill probably have to pick up some new speaker wire as well, but I should be good on the stands front and I have a harmony one already as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 11
Sounds like you ran into Mr. ZeosPanterra. Regardless, it will be much better than a HTIB for the money.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafied View Post

Sounds like you ran into Mr. ZeosPanterra. Regardless, it will be much better than a HTIB for the money.

Somewhat infamous I take it? Fascinating that someone's recommendations are that well known, and it wasn't even at this site. These are personal favorites of his and not necessarily the best choices at that range? Or are they?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post

I've done a bit of research and had some folks more in the know recommend a few things for me. Currently I am using a solid Onkyo HTiB setup but it doesn't support HDMI inputs, a bummer for a fan of Blu-rays who wants to check out HD audio.

I thought about going with another HTiB that does support that but some have suggested just selling it and putting it towards a new receiver and speakers.

I figure I can probably get $200 out of my HTiB, and I can maybe budget another $150-$200 for the time being.

These were recommended to me, and I may actually go with 6 of them, using one for the center and selling the spare 6th one. Ive seen them as low as $120 shipped for 3 sets.

This was the receiver suggested.

I cant really position a 7.1 speaker setup in my current place, so I don't there is a rush on that. This puts me about on budget, with a bit to spare to put towards a sub in the near future.

Does this seem like a solid build? Any other recommendations? Ill probably have to pick up some new speaker wire as well, but I should be good on the stands front and I have a harmony one already as well.

If you have tight financial constraints, you are probably going to be way ahead SQ wise by forgetting about 7.1 or 5.1 and just trying to get a good job done with 2.0 or 2.1.

You might be able to upgrade those small Daytons to Infinity Primus P163s and still stay within your budget.

Also, once you scale back to 2.0 or 2.1 your existing HDMI-less HTIB receiver can remain in service. The worst thing about low end HTIBs are the IME speakers.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mainly because of gaming, I can't really skip the positional audio via 5.1 for the time being. Would negatively affect things too much.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Mainly because of gaming, I can't really skip the positional audio via 5.1 for the time being. Would negatively affect things too much.

Then pick up two good floor standers(or the Infinity's arnyk mentioned) and use your existing HTIB speakers for rears. You'll have a much better front soundstage(minus the center, but that's ok) and will still have 5.1.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:

Besides a hearty +1 for post #6 I should point out that really good bass response makes most games far more immersive.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page