Subwoofer connection via speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have recently bought a kef t series t305 set ( with T2 subwoofer).. The dealer threw in about 40 m of speaker wire free.. And he is says the subwoofer cables are expensive and has to be bought separately and charging about sgd 70 for about 3m. I am quite new to this area and would appreciate if some one can tell me why the normal speaker cables can't be used for (active) subwoofer from the amp like other speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
The connection between the AVR and the subwoofer is low level, not speaker level. It uses coaxial cable with RCA (phono) plugs at each end. In the USA, an acceptable 3m cable can be had for about $5.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Colm thanks for your clarification.

I haven't got my speakers delivered but found from online images that it takes a coax line input. But what my amplifier has I think is RCA .. So do I need to buy a RCA to coax adaptor. My amp is denon 3311.

Thanks again
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
RCA type cables are almost always coaxial. Here is what you need and it is very inexpensive.

So for your situation (sub woofer connection) RCA and coaxial are referring to the same type of cable. RCA refers to the type of connectors and coaxial refers to the type of cable itself. So it's a coaxial cable with RCA connectors.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudians View Post

Colm thanks for your clarification.

I haven't got my speakers delivered but found from online images that it takes a coax line input. But what my amplifier has I think is RCA .. So do I need to buy a RCA to coax adaptor. My amp is denon 3311.

If your KEF subwoofer truly had a coax input, it would be the only subwoofer in the world like that.

It appears to be completely conventional with a RCA jack input. Just get a regular RCA-RCA cable of an appropriate length as others have already advised you. If your dealer is trying to sell you some expensive piece of jewelry for this purpose, you might consider never doing business again on the grounds that he is putting his greed ahead of your welfare.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank arnyk.... Unfortunately he is the only kef retailer in Singapore. It's such a small country there is no competition with in the brands.. So mostly the prices are "fixed"...
I will go do a electronic shop and see f they carry that cable at a cheaper price.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update and may be helpful for someone from singspore. I picked up 5m RCA cable for 25 dollars at sim lim tower... Don't go for those expensive one at the adelphi mall. And thanks to everyone for their suggestions and sharing their expertise.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page