Dual stereo from tv (2 pairs of speakers?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I'm (obviously) new here. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to a lot of this stuff, at least compared to a lot of folk here. My speakers/home cinema setups would prob be frowned on by most of you being all in one type sets. Logitech z5500 + Samsung HW-C560S... But the help I need is for my mum. She doesn't want to spend as much as I have on the ones I mentioned which would be able to do the task needed. 2x stereo.

I was googling to find a solution and came across this. not quite what I need but as close as i could find http://www.avsforum.com/t/857573/using-2-sets-of-stereo-speakers-for-stereo-sound

So yea thought I'd sign up and see what you guys recommend. Basically she watches TV through Virgin Cable connected by HDMI to a Panasonic TX-L42E5B. There's 2 issues. One is that the TV's speakers are poor and she wants better ones. The other issue is, she wants speakers in her kitchen too. The Kitchen is joined to the living room by an open door way. Quite often she'll cook or whatever and glance at the screen but would like to still be able to hear it. That's why I thought, two better speakers in the living room and two more in the kitchen would be the solution.

what do you guys think? ideally it'd avoid the need for an av receiver/amplifier so powered speakers would be better (i think?) but also as cheap as possible is a priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

don't mean to bump for no reason. but i would really appreciate some ideas, feedback or suggestions. as u can probably tell from my opening post, I'm quite clueless as to how to go about this.

would i need some kind of splitter for the headphone socket? or should i not use the headphone socket? maybe spdif would be better? but then what speakers would be cheap enough and do dual stereo?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Not what you wanna hear but if it were for me or my mom. I would buy a receiver and a decent set of bookshelf speakers for the living room and have a pair of in-wall speakers for zone 2 speakers in the kitchen.

Shawn
post #4 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, I get the receiver and bookshelf speakers but don't reallly understand "a pair of in-wall speakers for zone 2 speakers in the kitchen"
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I was just saying to use in-wall speakers in the kitchen so she doesn't have to have speakers mounted on the wall or sitting around in her kitchen. And Zone 2 means just that a second zone of speakers. So when she's not in the kitchen only zone 1 speakers (the living room) will be used then when she goes into the kitchen she could turn on zone 2 speakers and have sound in her kitchen.

Shawn
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was just saying to use in-wall speakers in the kitchen so she doesn't have to have speakers mounted on the wall or sitting around in her kitchen. And Zone 2 means just that a second zone of speakers. So when she's not in the kitchen only zone 1 speakers (the living room) will be used then when she goes into the kitchen she could turn on zone 2 speakers and have sound in her kitchen.

Ah ok. I get what you mean by in-wall now and zone 2. In-wall sounds like a lot of work and no doubt expensive. I think it would be better if zone 1 + 2 were on constantly as she would never remember to change the setting. That's also part of the reason I wanted to avoid an AV receiver as it means another remote or device which adds confusion. She's in her 70's. So stuff needs to be as simple as possible.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Just use a splitter and two sets of powered speakers.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
That looks about right.

A set of computer speakers for the kitchen might be adequate and cheaper.
"classroom speakers" may not be the highest fidelity.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

How are these? Although I already have some old computer speakers lying around that would prob do the job.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/jbl-creature-iii-2-1-pc-speakers-06774027-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qqpxmxaq&istBid=t
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/3481632/art/logitech/z523-2-1-speakers.html

Can you point me to any powered speakers under say £100? That you'd recommend.

I didn't even know what "classroom speakers" meant when I found them. lol

When you say computer speakers for the kitchen would be adequate, would they be adequate for the living room too? Or does that depend on the speakers? Most likely... The ones iv linked in the post have the subwoofer too which would be awkward for a kitchen. I have some old powered PC speakers that are just 2.0 which would probably do in the kitchen. So really just looking for the best option for the living room now.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Hello iamcami,

Very good powered 2.0 speakers well under £100:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-140-Multimedia-Speakers-2-0/dp/B000JCDRTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358449305&sr=8-1

Whatever other people might say, try listening to them. smile.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! They would be ideal for the kitchen. Very good reviews on amazon!

I think for the sitting room something better would be needed? One with a sub maybe?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page