AVS Forum banner

Split Toslink signal into 1 digital out plus one set of RCA

736 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sandrogrima 
#1 ·
I have a Toslink cable coming from my HTPC sitting in a closet running to a receiver. I want to find a way to split that signal into 1 digital (Toslink or SPDIF) and one set of RCA analog outposts (L/R). What is the most compact and cost effective way to do that?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The Toslink signal cannot be simply "split".

There are inexpensive DACs that will convert the optical signal to analog (RCA).

Exactly what do you want to connect to what?

Why don't you just take the analog signal from your PCs 3.5 mm speaker output jack? (you can split that easily also)

I use that to feed my Audioengine 2 powered speakers and it works well.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1449733/split-toslink-signal-into-1-digital-out-plus-one-set-of-rca#post_22786575

The Toslink signal cannot be simply "split".

There are inexpensive DACs that will convert the optical signal to analog (RCA).

Exactly what do you want to connect to what?

Why don't you just take the analog signal from your PCs 3.5 mm speaker output jack? (you can split that easily also)

I use that to feed my Audioengine 2 powered speakers and it works well.

Thanks for the reply. Running analog signal from PC is really not an option given distance and location.

This is the situation. I have an avr-1913 by denon and I have it set up to power my ceiling speakers using zone 2. The receiver can only use analog signals for zone 2 -- thats a model limitation.

So, I'd like to "split" the signal into 1 digital for zone 1 (receiver has both Toslink and SPDIF) and an analog that I can feed into the aux input to run content from the PC into zone 2.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrogrima  /t/1449733/split-toslink-signal-into-1-digital-out-plus-one-set-of-rca/0_60#post_22786148

I have a Toslink cable coming from my HTPC sitting in a closet running to a receiver. I want to find a way to split that signal into 1 digital (Toslink or SPDIF) and one set of RCA analog outposts (L/R). What is the most compact and cost effective way to do that?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You will need 2 inexpensive devices. You need a optical S/PDIF splitter and a D/A converter .

EDIT for Caveat: You would (probably) have to send a 2 channel LPCM signal for this to work. If you want to send DD or DTS you will need a licensed decoder.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William  /t/1449733/split-toslink-signal-into-1-digital-out-plus-one-set-of-rca#post_22787592

You will need 2 inexpensive devices. You need a optical S/PDIF splitter and a D/A converter .

EDIT for Caveat: You would (probably) have to send a 2 channel LPCM signal for this to work. If you want to send DD or DTS you will need a licensed decoder.

Thank you. The DD/DTS is a sizeable consideration since i watch plenty of movie content (hulu/netflix/hbogo) off the PC. When using the RCA outputs it will be purely for 2-channel audio but that would mean changing the sound card output from 5.1 to 2CH each time.

This is great info...it will help me decide how to move forward.

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.