Missing some between mid and low. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX SR605 with Ked Q7 fronts and a Kef PSW2500 subwoofer..

I feel like I'm missing some between the middle and the low frequencies and I don't know where and how to change that.

Setting my crossover at 100Hz instead of 80 improved it a bit I think but I'm still not satisfied.
A lot of music still misses that warmth while the bass drums are absolutely fine.

I'm not a real audio wizard so I hope somebody here knows what I mean and has a few tips and tricks to improve it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Your best bet is to measure the frequency response of your system using suitable software. Then you'll know what's actually going on. If you have a computer connected to your system, or a laptop you can use for that, this article explains the basics:

Room Measuring Primer

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by possamai View Post

Hi,
I have an Onkyo TX SR605 with Ked Q7 fronts and a Kef PSW2500 subwoofer..
I feel like I'm missing some between the middle and the low frequencies and I don't know where and how to change that.
Setting my crossover at 100Hz instead of 80 improved it a bit I think but I'm still not satisfied.
A lot of music still misses that warmth while the bass drums are absolutely fine.
I'm not a real audio wizard so I hope somebody here knows what I mean and has a few tips and tricks to improve it...

I had a null around 120Hz which lead to exactly what you're describing. Lucky for me, it was only a 5-6db dip (not really a null, I guess) so Audyssey was able to take care of it for me so that's my suggestion. If you're receiver has Audyssey (or another automatic setup routine) run that and see if it helps.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Up the 120Hz. Got it..
I'll give it a try to see if that's the frequency. Thanks :-)

I have Audyssey but I don't feel it's an improvement for music for my situation.
It's awesome for movies though and for calibrating speaker distance/levels.
Maybe something with speaker location or room size, I don't know..
Flat has given me better audio for music except for that slightly soft 120Hz (I hope that's it).
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The front speakers are designed to go down to around 35 Hz, according to KEF.

There is no way you should be limiting them to frequencies above 80 Hz (or 100 Hz; that is obviously your problem. That is absolutely ridiculous.

They should not have ANY low-frequency limit imposed on them by the receiver or software!

The front speakers should operate from 40 Hz to 20 Khz.

The center speaker should be set to go down to 120 and no lower; you don't want any bass from it.

The subwoofer has a low-pass filter setting on it; set it for beween 40 and 50 Hz, so it only operates BELOW the frequency response of your main speakers. Make small adjustments in the setting for best system sound, but keep it below 60 Hz.

ALSO; Step One in setting any system up is to turn off or disconnect all but the front 2 speakers, and get those front speakers positioned so they sound the best in the room...by themselves.(no limiting or filtering or anything)

If you don't take some time doing Step One, you will never get your system to sound its best.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 152
given how sound with longer wavelengths propagates in a room, it can be advantageous to cross over higher and put the bass output where it interfaces with the room best instead of where the mains need to be.

Seems to me that if a person can localize bass crossed over above 80, crossing over a center at 120 might yield some sonic oddity.

A lot depends on the room, setup and listener. Even when we are absolutely convinced that we've got things dialed in wonderfully for our room, it's not inappropriate to consider whetehr different systems or different rooms might respond differently. Hobgoblins and all that
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I actually set the crossover to 80 (and after some playing around to 100 but I doubt this changed much) because THX advises it like this. This saves power for the receiver so it can give everything to what's above 80Hz and leave the lower stuff to a subwoofer with its own power source...

That's the THX advice so that's why I set it up like this.
Makes sense too I guess.. But I'll give your advice a try, every situation is different so who knows :-)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page