Advice on Home Theatre Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm looking for a setup which will suit my requirements below. I'm not an audiophile and I'm not looking for a high grade setup, simply something that will improve (hopefully immensely) on my current LED speakers.

As you can see from my current setup (pictures), I hate visible cables. I'm looking for a setup which will give me the ability to have the least amount of cables and the need for me to have electricians in my house.

I have looked high and low at several different solutions and I have come to the conclusion that I need 2.1 setup. This would mean I can have an amplifier in the corner (next to powerpoint) and will only need to run speaker cable to mounted speakers (next to TV) and a HDMI cable from the TV to the amplifier.

I did look into soundbars with wireless subwoofers but there are more set backs to this approach. I would need to:
  • Install an additional powerpoint just for the soundbar (behind the TV)
  • Make sure that the soundbar power has a low profile power adapter (I could get a recess powerpoint or look for a flat profile third party power cable)
  • Still have to run HDMI cable from the TV to the soundbar or wireless subwoofer.
  • Still have to power the wireless subwoofer

My OCD and hate of cables does make this hard but I think I will need to have some drilling and wiring of cabling done but I'm hoping that I won't need to have an electrician in to wire speaker/HDMI cables - I could be wrong though.

Can anyone shed any light on a setup that would enhance my LED TV's speakers and meet all my requirements (see below)?

Budget:
  • Less then $500 $1000

Setup:
Use:
  • Stream TV / Movies from NAS to Apple TV (XBMC)
  • Airplay Music from iPad/iPhone using Spotfiy to Apple TV
  • Watch free to air TV 2 - 3 times a week

Pictures:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by schone View Post

Hi all,

I'm looking for a setup which will suit my requirements below. I'm not an audiophile and I'm not looking for a high grade setup, simply something that will improve (hopefully immensely) on my current LED speakers.

As you can see from my current setup (pictures), I hate visible cables. I'm looking for a setup which will give me the ability to have the least amount of cables and the need for me to have electricians in my house.

I have looked high and low at several different solutions and I have come to the conclusion that I need 2.1 setup. This would mean I can have an amplifier in the corner (next to powerpoint) and will only need to run speaker cable to mounted speakers (next to TV) and a HDMI cable from the TV to the amplifier.

I did look into soundbars with wireless subwoofers but there are more set backs to this approach. I would need to:
  • Install an additional powerpoint just for the soundbar (behind the TV)
  • Make sure that the soundbar power has a low profile power adapter (I could get a recess powerpoint or look for a flat profile third party power cable)
  • Still have to run HDMI cable from the TV to the soundbar or wireless subwoofer.
  • Still have to power the wireless subwoofer

My OCD and hate of cables does make this hard but I think I will need to have some drilling and wiring of cabling done but I'm hoping that I won't need to have an electrician in to wire speaker/HDMI cables - I could be wrong though.

Can anyone shed any light on a setup that would enhance my LED TV's speakers and meet all my requirements (see below)?

Budget:
  • Less then $500

Setup:
Use:
  • Stream TV / Movies from NAS to Apple TV (XBMC)
  • Airplay Music from iPad/iPhone using Spotfiy to Apple TV
  • Watch free to air TV 2 - 3 times a week

Pictures:

AVR - obviously an entry level unit - any ca. 100 wpc 5.1 AVR from a major manufacturer such as Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha,

A pair of speakers such as Infinity Primus 163s = I think Amazon and some others have excellent deals on these fine-sounding speakers.

The first upgrade would be a good subwoofer such as the Polk Audio PSW 505 on sale from Egghead.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Funny, as soon as i saw the photos i get your ocd. nothing is out of place, no knicknacks, no mess.

Where is this? I see the room is open to the outside, certainly not the northeast.

I suggest a decent set of floor standing (non powered) speakers. You can run the wire behind the trim on the bottom to the avr.

Or, your tv must have a plug behind it, i doubt you hard wired it. so you can plug sound bar there.

My Gear
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AVR - obviously an entry level unit - any ca. 100 wpc 5.1 AVR from a major manufacturer such as Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha,

A pair of speakers such as Infinity Primus 163s = I think Amazon and some others have excellent deals on these fine-sounding speakers.

The first upgrade would be a good subwoofer such as the Polk Audio PSW 505 on sale from Egghead.

Awesome thanks for the feedback! I will have a look around at those AVR's and also those speakers as they seem like a good buy.
Quote:
Funny, as soon as i saw the photos i get your ocd. nothing is out of place, no knicknacks, no mess.

Where is this? I see the room is open to the outside, certainly not the northeast.

I suggest a decent set of floor standing (non powered) speakers. You can run the wire behind the trim on the bottom to the avr.

Or, your tv must have a plug behind it, i doubt you hard wired it. so you can plug sound bar there.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia - the room is just an open plan kitchen/living/dining room.

I think the floorstands and AVR would work best as I'm worried about purchasing a soundbar which has an adapter pack and have no where to hide it and would need to have another powerpoint installed behind the TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add that I may need to increase my budget. So I could go to $1,000 if needed.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page