Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #331 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

A useful tip...

I think the advice of Jerry has a lot of practical values. May I note that once we have established the guideline of the vertical axis to be between 45 - 105 dB, the 75 dB level would put the curve right in the middle of the graph instead on the lower part as seen on my graph. As far as we are still at the stage of measuring our room's response the curve is not supposed to show a different response with different sweep levels. We haven't arrived to equal loudness contours, human hearing and DynamicEQ issues yet. Just the room.

Remember the slogan? " Hi-Fi systems are supposed to sound best when there is nobody in the room!" LOL

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Im going thru Jerrys "rew setup etc" .
all went well until rew preferences page 28, i do not have a "drivers" selection box. has rew not noticed that asio is present?

i'd appreciate any direction.

i'm using my audessey mike for this experimentation.

thank you

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #333 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post

Im going thru Jerrys "rew setup etc" .
all went well until rew preferences page 28, i do not have a "drivers" selection box. has rew not noticed that asio is present?

i'd appreciate any direction.

i'm using my audessey mike for this experimentation.

thank you

The "drivers" box has nothing to do with the ASIO4ALL installation, and should always have two options, "Java" and "ASIO".  On the REW toolbar, please click Help/About REW and report what version you have installed.  You should be running this version:

post #334 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM

thank you, Jerry
i have only rew 5.00.
i've been to hts. i got past the problem of installing 5.0 that i had late last week

now i'm getting the same "did not install properly" messagefor 5.01 beta 12
windows defender is "off" firewall is "on"
and my systems guy is currently not onsite but i could call him if i get any creative suggestions to help him guide me.

post #335 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post

EDIT: Max obviously beat me to this and stated it much more eloquently I might add, but I do agree with the poster that stated this needs to be added to the eventual Usage Guide/Current FAQ. I will be adding this to post 2. Could someone who previously DID NOT understand this and now DOES understand this thanks to Max's or my post take a few minutes and re-write this as a Q

Before we do this, I am still sorting out with Max what seems to be a misunderstanding of averaging, and smoothing applied to averaging.  I am still waiting for Max's respoonse.
Oh sorry, missed that.

Yes, you can just delete the averaged graph using 1/3 smoothing on thwe individual measurements and then open all 6 mmeasurements and set them to No Smoothing and average them again. The question is why? If you just set the individual measurements to No Smoothing before averaging them, you can save the result and view it any way you want to later.

This makes it much simpler later on if you want to compare several different averaged measurements of say, pre and post Audyssey, pre and post acoustic treatment, different sub locations etc.

As you can see from Feri's example, you can view the full range averaged measurement at 1/3 smoothing, then focus on the 5-250Hz region with No Smoothing easily, as opposed to having to re-average the measurements with a different Smoothing setting.

Max
post #336 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM

5.01 installed via uninstalling 5.0

proceeding

thanks anyway if you were thinking about it.

post #337 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Oh sorry, missed that.

Yes, you can just delete the averaged graph using 1/3 smoothing on thwe individual measurements and then open all 6 mmeasurements and set them to No Smoothing and average them again. The question is why? If you just set the individual measurements to No Smoothing before averaging them, you can save the result and view it any way you want to later.

This makes it much simpler later on if you want to compare several different averaged measurements of say, pre and post Audyssey, pre and post acoustic treatment, different sub locations etc.

As you can see from Feri's example, you can view the full range averaged measurement at 1/3 smoothing, then focus on the 5-250Hz region with No Smoothing easily, as opposed to having to re-average the measurements with a different Smoothing setting.

Max

I understand now, Max. Two different approaches resulting in the same thing, but your approach is certainly more efficient. Thanks for clearing this up.

post #338 of 11661 Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 PM

strangely . . . no output or input to be selected, but the asio showed up as expected. my onkyo 270 now shows multichannel in and sounds great playing anything i have, even after restarting
my sound card lets me check 5.1 speakers, full range (so to speak)tho i run a 7.2 anyway . . hints?
a check in the sound card shows output thru the hdmi and i can see the bar for the mike also responding tis a puzzlement

post #339 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi Guys,

I've selected this graph from my previous post below for some further discussions with the aim of clarifying matters before most of us can get their usb mic.

Averaged with 1/24th octave smoothing and Audyssey Off:

As a reminder, this graph is a 1/24th octave smoothed and averaged graph of 6 unsmoothed measurments taken in Audyssey style (MLP + 5 more around the couch) in my living room of the Center + Sub with the Audyssey mic (without a calibration file, of course). Nonetheless, as stated above this was taken with Audyssey off. Now, please take a look at the right side of the graph where there is a severe rolloff from cca. 13 kHz. I don't know why this happens. Denon should be OK up to 100 kHz, laptop should be no problem, Audyssey mic should also perform well way above 20 kHz. Could this HF rolloff be due to the lack of calibration of the Audyssey mic? Any ideas? Let's discuss. smile.gif

Hi Feri,

This is totally normal with this type of mic. Pretty much all condensor Mic's that use the $2.00 Panasonic module (which is pretty much all inexpensive mics) will be pretty darn accurate from the mid-bass to upper mid-range frequencies but start rolling off somewhere around 50hz and anywhere above 10khz (conservative estimates here).

That's the main point of the built-in Audyssey calibration file and how they are all able to be the same based on a batch/test of several mics because they all pretty much perform close to the same. The cheap Panasonic Capsules really are that good and consistent.

So almost all cal files will show the most correction in the high end and very low frequencies.

For folks that use the Radio Shack SPL meters, they are actually pretty accurate, too, contrary to common belief.

They are great from about 40hz to about 7-8khz but have pretty sharp roll-off above that when used at grazing angles (90 degrees) with C-Weighting and surprisingly have a shallow roll-off to below 20hz! So believe it or not, the Radio Shack SPL meters are great for calibrating subwoofers as they are inexpensive and easy to come by.

I don't have experience with the new model of RatShack meter though, this is only in reference to the 2055 model.

Anyway, don't worry about it. It looks totally normal. I definitely recommend you of all people get a calibrated mic, and at 90 degrees too. For you, I honestly would recommend the Dayton UMM-6 mic calibrated at 0, 45, and 90 degrees as that Mini-DSP Mic will only be able to be used at 0 degrees, pointing at the speakers and NOT up at the ceiling like you take all your Audyssey measurements. wink.gif

As for your previous graphs, they look totally normal and much more accurate now.

Audyssey is really doing a good job in your room as you have 3 obvious modes and a ton of reflections/comb filtering yet you have one of the smoothest "after" measured graphs I've ever seen!

Congratulations,

--J

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #340 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Quote:

One would expect the measurements centered around 75dB with a proper mic calibration.
A useful tip...

Yes! RE: This tip and the previous regarding smoothing/averaging that Jerry is still in talks with Max about... When Jerry is ready or feels "we" collectively are ready to add that Q&A, where do you feel these tips should best be placed??

I have so many tips in the 2nd post, some of which are actually pretty important, I'm afraid since it's such a long post they might be overlooked, plus we need to be able to add the tips and tips by nature aren't necessarily Q&A's/FAQ's so I'm again calling on your organization skills, Keith. wink.gif

Not that it is so important to hurry up and get this tip and the one other one up, I'm just thinking ahead, and honestly have a bunch more to add, but don't know where to put them. Tell me where to stick it, Keith. tongue.gif

--J

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #341 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

I hear you. When I first started testing ASIO4ALL, I had the same problem in the ASIO control panel. My HD audio device was showing idle, and no amount of clicking would enable it. You may recall a previous posting of mine, where I reported that a completely fresh install of Windows cleared up this problem.

Hi Jerry, so a fresh install of Windows gave you the 8 channels as well? By the way, learned a few things on the step by step guide, excellent job!
post #342 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Jerry, so a fresh install of Windows gave you the 8 channels as well? By the way, learned a few things on the step by step guide, excellent job!

No, I am afraid my laptop hardware only supports 2 channels, regardless of the attempts I have made.  As I stated previously, being able to measure two channels provides the functionality one needs with REW.  You can measure left, right, center (as a combined left+right) and the subwoofers (through redirected bass from the main speakers).  I see no significant additional benefit from being able to measure surrounds or surround backs separately.  Of course, I could just be rationalizing my hardware deficiency...   wink.gif

post #343 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I am afraid my laptop hardware only supports 2 channels, regardless of the attempts I have made.  As I stated previously, being able to measure two channels provides the functionality one needs with REW.  You can measure left, right, center (as a combined left+right) and the subwoofers (through redirected bass from the main speakers).  I see no significant additional benefit from being able to measure surrounds or surround backs separately.  Of course, I could just be rationalizing my hardware deficiency...   wink.gif

Jerry, if you still do not have 8 channel support, then what did the Windows reload acually solve?

Cheers, Feri

post #344 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Feri,

This is totally normal with this type of mic. Pretty much all condensor Mic's that use the $2.00 Panasonic module (which is pretty much all inexpensive mics) will be pretty darn accurate from the mid-bass to upper mid-range frequencies but start rolling off somewhere around 50hz and anywhere above 10khz (conservative estimates here).

That's the main point of the built-in Audyssey calibration file and how they are all able to be the same based on a batch/test of several mics because they all pretty much perform close to the same. The cheap Panasonic Capsules really are that good and consistent.

So almost all cal files will show the most correction in the high end and very low frequencies.

For folks that use the Radio Shack SPL meters, they are actually pretty accurate, too, contrary to common belief.

They are great from about 40hz to about 7-8khz but have pretty sharp roll-off above that when used at grazing angles (90 degrees) with C-Weighting and surprisingly have a shallow roll-off to below 20hz! So believe it or not, the Radio Shack SPL meters are great for calibrating subwoofers as they are inexpensive and easy to come by.

I don't have experience with the new model of RatShack meter though, this is only in reference to the 2055 model.

Anyway, don't worry about it. It looks totally normal. I definitely recommend you of all people get a calibrated mic, and at 90 degrees too. For you, I honestly would recommend the Dayton UMM-6 mic calibrated at 0, 45, and 90 degrees as that Mini-DSP Mic will only be able to be used at 0 degrees, pointing at the speakers and NOT up at the ceiling like you take all your Audyssey measurements. wink.gif

As for your previous graphs, they look totally normal and much more accurate now.

Audyssey is really doing a good job in your room as you have 3 obvious modes and a ton of reflections/comb filtering yet you have one of the smoothest "after" measured graphs I've ever seen!

Congratulations,

--J

J,

Thanks for your detailed explanation and your compliments. cool.gif

As regards the UMM-6 and the UMIK-1 MiniDSP mics what difference might one expect between these two devices when it comes to accuracy of REW measurements? Pointing the UMIK-1 to the speakers and changing direction from measurement to measurement would not be a big trouble, I suppose. If you recommend the UMM-6 to me, why only to me?smile.gif

Cheers, Feri

post #345 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One would expect the measurements centered around 75dB with a proper mic calibration.
A useful tip...

Yes! RE: This tip and the previous regarding smoothing/averaging that Jerry is still in talks with Max about... When Jerry is ready or feels "we" collectively are ready to add that Q&A, where do you feel these tips should best be placed??

I have so many tips in the 2nd post, some of which are actually pretty important, I'm afraid since it's such a long post they might be overlooked, plus we need to be able to add the tips and tips by nature aren't necessarily Q&A's/FAQ's so I'm again calling on your organization skills, Keith. wink.gif

Not that it is so important to hurry up and get this tip and the one other one up, I'm just thinking ahead, and honestly have a bunch more to add, but don't know where to put them. Tell me where to stick it, Keith. tongue.gif

--J

I am making a note of everything posted so far that might be useful in a FAQ. When there is a decent amount of potential content I'll create the FAQ using interactive hyperlinks like the Audyssey FAQs. The FAQ will be in sections - eg Basic Windows Setup, Basic REW Setup, Advanced REW Setup, Creating and Interpreting FR Graphs, Creating and Interpreting Waterfall Graphs, Creating and Interpreting ETC Graphs etc etc. I will post the suggested format before populating it to get approval from you and other members along with any suggestions for improvement. Like the Audyssey FAQs, this FAQ can then be added-to on a continuous basis. It is too soon to make the FAQ yet because we need to be pretty sure of the outline before we start - it is a royal PITA to change it afterwards.

post #346 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As regards the UMM-6 and the UMIK-1 MiniDSP mics what difference might one expect between these two devices when it comes to accuracy of REW measurements? Pointing the UMIK-1 to the speakers and changing direction from measurement to measurement would not be a big trouble, I suppose. If you recommend the UMM-6 to me, why only to me?smile.gif

He recommended it to all of us, Feri, in his 'mic post'. I have mine on order - delivery beginning of Feb (plus carriage time to UK).

post #347 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jerry, if you still do not have 8 channel support, then what did the Windows reload acually solve?

I could not get the HDMI audio started--it showed idle and would not work.

post #348 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

J,

It is normally considered a better practice to aim the microphone at the ceiling because it takes into account the contributions of the room.  Pointing the mic directly at the speaker is better if you are interested in analyzing a specific speaker's response.  Also note that if you want to measure the combined output of left+right+subs, it is impossible to aim the mic at multiple sound sources at the same time, so aiming at the ceiling produces the better measurement.  After all, you don't aim the Audyssey mic directly at the speaker, do you? 

If you check Jason's original post, I believe he mentioned the advantage of the mini-DSP was that it was plug-and-play (I know I shouldn't use that term...).  However, I believe he also commented on the advantage of the individually-calibrated UMM-6, with its direction-specific calibration files.  He also mentioned that he is working with John Mulkahy to get the UMM-6 supported as a PNP mic.

post #349 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He also mentioned that he is working with John Mulkahy to get the UMM-6 supported as a PNP mic.

Murphy's Law dictates that JM will achieve this one day after we have all figured out the best manual configuration procedure :)

post #350 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is normally considered a better practice to aim the microphone at the ceiling because it takes into account the contributions of the room.  Pointing the mic directly at the speaker is better if you are interested in analyzing a specific speaker's response.  Also note that if you want to measure the combined output of left+right+subs, it is impossible to aim the mic at multiple sound sources at the same time, so aiming at the ceiling produces the better measurement.  After all, you don't aim the Audyssey mic directly at the speaker, do you? 

Another one for the FAQ.

post #351 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you check Jason's original post, I believe he mentioned the advantage of the mini-DSP was that it was plug-and-play (I know I shouldn't use that term...).  However, I believe he also commented on the advantage of the individually-calibrated UMM-6, with its direction-specific calibration files.  He also mentioned that he is working with John Mulkahy to get the UMM-6 supported as a PNP mic.

Thanks Jerry for making that clear. Wish the UMM-6 would be PNP and the UMIK-1 would come with direction-specific calibration files. That's all I wish! smile.gif

Cheers, Feri

post #352 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Murphy's Law dictates that JM will achieve this one day after we have all figured out the best manual configuration procedure smile.gif

Silly question: what does Jason do professionally? From reading his posts, I'd think he's some sort of sound engineer or has specific technical training in acoustics. Or is he just an enthusiast who's dedicated most if not all of his non-working waking hours to A/V? More curiousity than anything else.

NB: I haven't given up trying REW, but I've had some family stuff that's taking up my time (plus I went to Canada for an ice wine festival with my wife over the weekend---where it was almost 60 degrees compared to frigid Chicago). I'm still following the conversation with interest, particularly how easy it is with REW to combine raw measurements into averages, and the graph scaling/smoothing guidlines. I hope to get more into this over the weekend, with my (current) OmniMic mic or the ancient Audyssey Basic one I've still got.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #353 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote: Originally Posted by mogorf 

Quote: Originally Posted by AustinJerry 

Thanks Jerry for making that clear. Wish the UMM-6 would be PNP and the UMIK-1 would come with direction-specific calibration files. That's all I wish!

Get the best mic, regardless. I went for the UMM-6 for the reasons Jerry gives above.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 06-20-2014 at 03:32 AM.
post #354 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Quote:

Murphy's Law dictates that JM will achieve this one day after we have all figured out the best manual configuration procedure smile.gif

Silly question: what does Jason do professionally? From reading his posts, I'd think he's some sort of sound engineer or has specific technical training in acoustics. Or is he just an enthusiast who's dedicated most if not all of his non-working waking hours to A/V? More curiousity than anything else.

NB: I haven't given up trying REW, but I've had some family stuff that's taking up my time (plus I went to Canada for an ice wine festival with my wife over the weekend---where it was almost 60 degrees compared to frigid Chicago). I'm still following the conversation with interest, particularly how easy it is with REW to combine raw measurements into averages, and the graph scaling/smoothing guidlines. I hope to get more into this over the weekend, with my (current) OmniMic mic or the ancient Audyssey Basic one I've still got.

IDK what J does, but did I not read he is setting up his own acoustics company?  J?

This is what I think I will love about REW once it is working here. I can make one measurement file, with all the measurements in it that I need for that session and then go and sit and analyse those measurements every whichway, at my leisure. If I want different smoothing, I apply it... if I want a waterfall, I generate it, if I want an ETC, I create it... And best of all, I can send my data file to the experts and THEY can analyse it for me and tell me where I am going wrong or what I need to do next (if I get stuck). This is way, way ahead of OM...

post #355 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

IDK what J does, but did I not read he is setting up his own acoustics company?  J?

This is what I think I will love about REW once it is working here. I can make one measurement file, with all the measurements in it that I need for that session and then go and sit and analyse those measurements every whichway, at my leisure. If I want different smoothing, I apply it... if I want a waterfall, I generate it, if I want an ETC, I create it... And best of all, I can send my data file to the experts and THEY can analyse it for me and tell me where I am going wrong or what I need to do next (if I get stuck). This is way, way ahead of OM...

By the time you're done, you're going to wind up creating Powerpoint presentation with all the charts you'll have from a given configuration smile.gif

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #356 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I was hoping we could do a webinar!

My Panasonic 60ST60 Settings

post #357 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I was hoping we could do a webinar!

^^ Worse, we can use GoToMeeting or another document sharing site to compare our measurements and resulting post-Audyssey calibrations biggrin.gif

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #358 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

By the time you're done, you're going to wind up creating Powerpoint presentation with all the charts you'll have from a given configuration smile.gif

How about a PhD in REW? wink.gif

Nonetheless, I do believe this is going to be the best REW thread on the Internet, ever! Coz we are going through each and every detail, even the smallest ones and by the time we can get our mics we will be more trained than an airline pilot in the cockpit with all the bells and whistles normal mortals can not imaging what they are for.

No lousy graphs and wrong conclusions will ever show up or happen to those members who are following up this thread and reading it to the letter. I'm sure! cool.gif

Cheers, Feri

post #359 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you guys are welcome to stop by my place any time and we'll do some serious measuring!

post #360 of 11661 Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

How about a PhD in REW? wink.gif

Nonetheless, I do believe this is going to be the best REW thread on the Internet, ever! Coz we are going through each and every detail, even the smallest ones and by the time we can get our mics we will be more trained than an airline pilot in the cockpit with all the bells and whistles normal mortals can not imaging what they are for.

No lousy graphs and wrong conclusions will ever show up or happen to those members who are following up this thread and reading it to the letter. I'm sure! cool.gif

Why do you think I called it 'grad school' ? wink.gif

Hopefully it won't take as long to master REW as writing a dissertation!

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page