Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #4141 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Go directly to Toole and read for yourself what he said and then form your own conclusions.
Good advice:

Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction

Section 9.2.1 is only half a page long and well worth reading.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I would stop right there Murray. Those waterfalls look good and it will take a disproportional amount of effort to deal with the ringing at the very bottom end. If this sounds good now to your ears, I would call it a day on the bass optimisation.

Time to deal with those reflections now. I didn’t look at the links you posted under your Toole comment. Many posters interpret what Toole said in their own way, or for their own agenda. Go directly to Toole and read for yourself what he said and then form your own conclusions. Eliminating the bad reflections as suggested will, without question, improve imaging and the other things I (and Jerry, and Jim and so on) suggested. Using reflections to enhance dialogue intelligibility is a massive red herring and the Toole research does not say what some people say it says. I'm not going to get into those arguments here as it is OT and there are numerous other threads where it is discussed at length. If you prefer to leave the reflections as they are, that is entirely your choice of course - your HT, your dollar, your ears! 

Thank you Keith for the confirmation. Ive been listening to the bass tonight, over and over again, all the movies I have tested for the last 1.5 years and they are sounding remarkable, the bass is smooth, deep, dynamic, I really don't know what could be better, bass wise....

I know there is a reflection problem with the 1st reflection. I hung up towels on both sides of the front walls tonight after doing the mirror test, it dampened down the front reflection remarkably!!! WOW!
And that was only with one towel on each side.....

I now know this will be the further icing on the cake!

Guys I'm finally getting results, its all starting to come together when I was almost was ready to give up.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm feeling very happy and satisfied I stuck with it. And that's thanks to you guys for staying in there with me.....Again a BIG thank you Jerry and Keith and anyone else who has helped me on this very long journey.....
post #4143 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:

Save the XT32 calibration you have before you make the new one then you can return to it if you wish. HST, if you use the same mic positions etc, the cals should be the same anyway.

a)6.   Is it possible to save and recall an Audyssey MultEQ calibration?

When Murray shared the most recent set of measurements, I assumed they were with Audyssey off. I can't imagine moving subs around and publishing new measurements with an outdated calibration. ICBW.

Murray, were the last measurements made with a stale calibration? Are you going to do the new calibration?
post #4144 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Quote:

Save the XT32 calibration you have before you make the new one then you can return to it if you wish. HST, if you use the same mic positions etc, the cals should be the same anyway.

a)6.   Is it possible to save and recall an Audyssey MultEQ calibration?

When Murray shared the most recent set of measurements, I assumed they were with Audyssey off. I can't imagine moving subs around and publishing new measurements with an outdated calibration. ICBW.

Murray, were the last measurements made with a stale calibration? Are you going to do the new calibration?

Good point, Jerry. I assume Audyssey is off too. Unless I misunderstood Murray, I thought he was asking about running a new Audyssey cal after the latest round of tweaks. I agree entirely that his XT32 measurement should be undertaken with his subs in the position in which they measure best with REW and if he then moves the subs to a new location, which may measure even better, it is imperative to do a new XT32 calibration. 

@Murray: Murray, what I am saying is that it is not a good idea to do a second lot of REW measurements with the subs in a different location and then to use an old XT32 calculation 'on top' of it.

I give the link for the 'how to' on saving a calibration so that you can perform new XT32 cals at will, without further moving the speakers/subs, to see if you can get a cal that you prefer - but with the ability to go back to the original cal if you choose to. You mustn't move the subs and then load an old XT32 cal - this would likely be disastrous.

post #4145 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
After I measure my room with a Umik, let's say I wanted to measure my friends room. How easy would it be to measure somewhere else? The SPL calibration isn't needed with Umik, so is it really as simple as plugging the unit in and measuring? Or must other steps be taken? I assume the settings I use at home won't be appropriate for my friends place.
post #4146 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post

After I measure my room with a Umik, let's say I wanted to measure my friends room. How easy would it be to measure somewhere else? The SPL calibration isn't needed with Umik, so is it really as simple as plugging the unit in and measuring? Or must other steps be taken? I assume the settings I use at home won't be appropriate for my friends place.

The REW kit is completely portable, assuming you are using a notebook computer.  There are no settings that you make in REW that are unique to your system or listening room.  So, the answer to your question, it's very easy.  All your friend needs is an AVR that is configurable for HDMI input from REW.

post #4147 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I posted this on HTS, but didn't get any response. I'm hoping someone here can help before I decide to order a miniDSP.

I'm getting ready to order a miniDSP to calbrate my sub and noticed this in the miniDSP manual;

Quote:
3.1.8 Room EQ Wizard (REW) integration (Advanced software only)
Also available uniquely for the Advanced biquad product series is the integration with REW software. By combining a measurement software with our miniDSP kits, it basically allows custom biquad filters generated by the AutoEQ function of REW to be inputted inside the miniDSP software. For more information, please consult the REW software user manual and EQ device section.
Do I understand correctly that when using the miniDSP that REW will automatically generate the filters needed to achieve the desired target curve? Looking at REW, I don't see anything that says "Auto EQ" even if I select the miniDSP. I also don't see any way to automatcally generate the filters.

Does the the miniDSP have to be connected to REW to see the Auto EQ feature? Am I misunderstanding how this works (I'm a complete newby to sub EQ)?

post #4148 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57

@Saturn94:  I can't answer specifically for the minidsp but I do know that other EQ devices allow filters to be imported directly from REW.  As for the specifics, best to probably seek out a minidsp owner's forum.

post #4149 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I posted this on HTS, but didn't get any response. I'm hoping someone here can help before I decide to order a miniDSP.

I'm getting ready to order a miniDSP to calbrate my sub and noticed this in the miniDSP manual;

Quote:
3.1.8 Room EQ Wizard (REW) integration (Advanced software only)
Also available uniquely for the Advanced biquad product series is the integration with REW software. By combining a measurement software with our miniDSP kits, it basically allows custom biquad filters generated by the AutoEQ function of REW to be inputted inside the miniDSP software. For more information, please consult the REW software user manual and EQ device section.
Do I understand correctly that when using the miniDSP that REW will automatically generate the filters needed to achieve the desired target curve? Looking at REW, I don't see anything that says "Auto EQ" even if I select the miniDSP. I also don't see any way to automatcally generate the filters.

Does the the miniDSP have to be connected to REW to see the Auto EQ feature? Am I misunderstanding how this works (I'm a complete newby to sub EQ)?

I assume the miniDSP works the same way with REW as my Behringer PEQ unit. Yes, your assumption is correct - you can connect the miniDSP to the laptop on which you are running REW (via a MIDI interface) and then REW can feed the data to the miniDSP. Remember that, useful though this is, it can always be done manually in any event, but REW does make it way easier.

You do not have to connect the miniDSP to see the feature.

To play around with it, click the EQ button at the top of the REW window. Select your desired graph in the REW main window on the left and then select the DSP unit you want to use Then you can play around with it and generate filters. If your miniDSP is connected then you can feed the filters into it once you are happy. Once this has been done, measure again with REW to check that the filters you created did what you expected them to do and repeat the procedure to tweak if not. My Behringer unit can hold 12 sets of filters at a time so it is easy to experiment.  

I have no experience of the miniDSP but the general idea is the same with my Behringer. I would suggest that you first learn to use REW to take accurate measurements before you start trying to integrate the miniDSP. If your measurements are not accurate, then using the miniDSP to modify them is pointless. I would classify this as 'fairly advanced' use of REW.

I assume you are aware of the various automated SUb EQ options open to you - eg AntiMode, Audyssey XT32 etc etc?  Also remember that the most significant gains you will make will be from sub placement in the room and possibly room treatments. Especially study your placement options and measure alternatives with REW. The better you get the bass response in the room before you start ti apply EQ, the better the end result will be. 

post #4150 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Im doing a new REW for you today with the new sub position, this one will have XT32 added so you can see the result.
post #4151 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone please explain the benefit of the miniDSP? Why would I need one for my subwoofer over something like an Antimode or Velodyne SMS-1, Audyssey XT32?
post #4152 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a thread to discuss using REW to improve audio in listening rooms. Your question is best asked in a specific mini-DSP thread, please.
post #4153 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

@Saturn94:  I can't answer specifically for the minidsp but I do know that other EQ devices allow filters to be imported directly from REW.  As for the specifics, best to probably seek out a minidsp owner's forum.

Thanks. smile.gif

The reason I figured I'd post here is my question is about the supposed "AUTO EQ" feature in REW. I see no such feature. frown.gif

Quote:

I assume the miniDSP works the same way with REW as my Behringer PEQ unit. Yes, your assumption is correct - you can connect the miniDSP to the laptop on which you are running REW (via a MIDI interface) and then REW can feed the data to the miniDSP. Remember that, useful though this is, it can always be done manually in any event, but REW does make it way easier.

To play around with it, click the EQ button at the top of the REW window. Select your desired graph in the REW main window on the left and then select the DSP unit you want to use Then you can play around with it and generate filters. If your miniDSP is connected then you can feed the filters into it once you are happy. Once this has been done, measure again with REW to check that the filters you created did what you expected them to do and repeat the procedure to tweak if not. My Behringer unit can hold 12 sets of filters at a time so it is easy to experiment.  

I have no experience of the miniDSP but the general idea is the same with my Behringer. I would suggest that you first learn to use REW to take accurate measurements before you start trying to integrate the miniDSP. If your measurements are not accurate, then using the miniDSP to modify them is pointless. I would classify this as 'fairly advanced' use of REW.

I assume you are aware of the various automated SUb EQ options open to you - eg AntiMode, Audyssey XT32 etc etc?  Also remember that the most significant gains you will make will be from sub placement in the room and possibly room treatments. Especially study your placement options and measure alternatives with REW. The better you get the bass response in the room before you start ti apply EQ, the better the end result will be. 

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm still unclear about something though. I did poke around in the EQ feature and saw where you can manually create filters then dowmload them into the miniDSP, but what I read in the miniDSP manual seems to suggest that REW can automatically create the filters needed to achieve the desired curve using the "AUTO EQ" feature (I see nothing called AUTO EQ in REW), then you can download them into the miniDSP. Will REW automatically create the filters or do I have to manually create them?

I have looked at some of the auto EQ units, but most lack the ability to customize the curve to taste. The Anti Mode 2.0 seems to offer both, but at over $1000 it's too expensive for me. I figured with something like the miniDSP, I could learn how to EQ my sub(s) and save a ton of money over something like the Anti Mode 2.0.

Just as you mentioned, others have said to optimize placement first and consider treatments. So far I have found the best available placement available to me and have optimized the bass management settings in my processor (Anthem AVM20; does not have any room correction features). Room treatments are pretty much out (my system is in the living room).

I figured I'm at the point of trying EQ (sparingly I'm told), hence my questions. smile.gif

post #4154 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a thread to discuss using REW to improve audio in listening rooms. Your question is best asked in a specific mini-DSP thread, please.

But my question is about a supposedly available REW feature. confused.gif

Hmmm....perhaps your comment wasn't directed to me?

post #4155 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it was directed to you. I don't mean to offend, but IMO this thread is not about the autoEQ features of REW, a topic that is not likely to apply to many here. If others feel differently, they can say so.
post #4156 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it was directed to you. I don't mean to offend, but IMO this thread is not about the autoEQ features of REW, a topic that is not likely to apply to many here. If others feel differently, they can say so.

Is there another thread on the use of REW's other features such as EQ?

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought this thread was about using REW, not just about a few specific REW features. confused.gif

post #4157 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieS View Post

Can someone please explain the benefit of the miniDSP? Why would I need one for my subwoofer over something like an Antimode or Velodyne SMS-1, Audyssey XT32?

Jerry's right - it's OT here. In a nutshell, the Audyssey XT32, AnitMode and SMS-1 are automated sub-EQ systems. The miniDSP isn't. Combined with REW, it gives the user terrific control over the bass curve etc that he wants to achieve. With automated systems you have to take what they give you (although the Anti-Mode 2,0 Dual Core does give a useful set of user choices). 

post #4158 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57

Personally, I thought Jerry's response was directed at this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieS View Post

But then I saw his response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I guess I'm of the opinion that the thread has gone in such vastly different directions and I wouldn't consider this topic any further OT than the one we had on the various room models and their differences or even the use of PEQ!  confused.gif  Afterall, these discussions are all aimed at improving SQ in our listening spaces (which I personally believe is the only topic we've really adhered to in this thread BICBW).

EDIT:  Haha, apparently Keith thought the same as he responded to your post about the autoEQ feature and also identified Ollie S's post as the OT one!

post #4159 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'm of the opinion that the thread has gone in such vastly different directions and I wouldn't consider this topic any further OT than the one we had on the various room models and their differences or even the use of PEQ!  confused.gif
  Afterall, these discussions are all aimed at improving SQ in our listening spaces (which I personally believe is the only topic we've really adhered to in this thread BICBW).

EDIT:  Haha, apparently Keith thought the same as he responded to your post about the autoEQ feature and also identified Ollie S's post as the OT one!

+ 1

But it seems I'm being handed my hat. frown.gif

post #4160 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It would be less confusing if every room or issue had it own thread.

My Room
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/817205-my-listening-room.html

My Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/~jim1961

My Equipment

Rega - Apollo
Rega - DAC
Goldpoint Passive
(2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next ( http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-NEXT.htm )
post #4161 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. smile.gif

The reason I figured I'd post here is my question is about the supposed "AUTO EQ" feature in REW. I see no such feature. frown.gif

Quote:

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm still unclear about something though. I did poke around in the EQ feature and saw where you can manually create filters then dowmload them into the miniDSP, but what I read in the miniDSP manual seems to suggest that REW can automatically create the filters needed to achieve the desired curve using the "AUTO EQ" feature (I see nothing called AUTO EQ in REW), then you can download them into the miniDSP. Will REW automatically create the filters or do I have to manually create them?

I have looked at some of the auto EQ units, but most lack the ability to customize the curve to taste. The Anti Mode 2.0 seems to offer both, but at over $1000 it's too expensive for me. I figured with something like the miniDSP, I could learn how to EQ my sub(s) and save a ton of money over something like the Anti Mode 2.0.

Just as you mentioned, others have said to optimize placement first and consider treatments. So far I have found the best available placement available to me and have optimized the bass management settings in my processor (Anthem AVM20; does not have any room correction features). Room treatments are pretty much out (my system is in the living room).

I figured I'm at the point of trying EQ (sparingly I'm told), hence my questions. smile.gif

REW will 'automatically' create the filters but you have to manually tell it what it is you are trying to achieve. It is very easy to use - just go into the EQ section and play around. Within 10 minutes you will have grasped the basics. 

Agreed about auto EQ systems - they are great but lack flexibility (except the AntiMode but as you say that is expensive).  You can do just as good a job yourself but the learning curve has to be taken into account.

Here is a very rough guide to using the EQ.

I have opened my Subs L + R measurement.

This is the initial appearance of the graph:

You can see the parameters you can change on the right.

This graph shows the target curve I have selected:

If I now click 'match response to Target', REW will automatically create some filters. Here is the result:

You can see how the peak at 54Hz has been substantially flattened. Smoothing of 1/24th has been applied. You can see from the little '1' at the top of the graph that REW has created only one filter to do this. The fewer filters you use to do the job the better.

This is the filter that has been created:

You can see the parameters: 57.8Hz, Gain of -6dB, Bandwidth of 12 etc. These parameters would be automatically uploaded into my Behringer if I attached it via the MIDI interface. With one filter its just as easy to do it manually, but if REW had made 6 filters, the automation would be very useful.

I stress that this is just a very rough example - I didn’t try to optimise anything and I would not use this filter for real. It's just to show how you do it.

post #4162 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Although I have replied at some length to Saturn, to try to help him out, I agree with you that it is tangential to the true purpose of this thread. Perhaps Saturn should start a new thread on using the auto-EQ feature of REW?

post #4163 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I guess I'm of the opinion that the thread has gone in such vastly different directions and I wouldn't consider this topic any further OT than the one we had on the various room models and their differences or even the use of PEQ!  confused.gif  Afterall, these discussions are all aimed at improving SQ in our listening spaces (which I personally believe is the only topic we've really adhered to in this thread BICBW).

LOL - you are right, Joe. I am in a heck of a rush ATM and wasn;t paying proper attention. I think the question about the benefit of the miniDSP is OT. Saturn's question isn't, IMO. Phew. I have no time right now to edit my posts so I'll just leave it with this explanation. 

post #4164 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+ 1

But it seems I'm being handed my hat. frown.gif

No you're not. :)  I think Jerry was as confused as I was LOL.

post #4165 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Me? Confused? Maybe. Sorry I created such a stir. Carry on.
post #4166 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

REW will 'automatically' create the filters but you have to manually tell it what it is you are trying to achieve. It is very easy to use - just go into the EQ section and play around. Within 10 minutes you will have grasped the basics. 

Agreed about auto EQ systems - they are great but lack flexibility (except the AntiMode but as you say that is expensive).  You can do just as good a job yourself but the learning curve has to be taken into account.

Here is a very rough guide to using the EQ.

I have opened my Subs L + R measurement.

This is the initial appearance of the graph:

You can see the parameters you can change on the right.

This graph shows the target curve I have selected:

If I now click 'match response to Target', REW will automatically create some filters. Here is the result:

You can see how the peak at 54Hz has been substantially flattened. Smoothing of 1/24th has been applied. You can see from the little '1' at the top of the graph that REW has created only one filter to do this. The fewer filters you use to do the job the better.

This is the filter that has been created:

You can see the parameters: 57.8Hz, Gain of -6dB, Bandwidth of 12 etc. These parameters would be automatically uploaded into my Behringer if I attached it via the MIDI interface. With one filter its just as easy to do it manually, but if REW had made 6 filters, the automation would be very useful.

I stress that this is just a very rough example - I didn’t try to optimise anything and I would not use this filter for real. It's just to show how you do it.

I greatly appreciate the example and the pics. smile.gif

I thought when I was poking around in there I did as your described, but no filters were created. I must have done something incorrectly. I'll give it another shot using your example as a guide.

post #4167 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me? Confused? Maybe. Sorry I created such a stir. Carry on.

So is it OK to carry on the REW EQ feature discussion here? Or should I start a new thread?

I'm not looking to hijack anyone's thread, just trying to learn. smile.gif

post #4168 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Saturn94, start a new thread and put a link to it in this thread. Those of us that wish to partake will follow. I am interested in that discussion since I do have a MiniDSP.

post #4169 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

It is not clear you want to use AutoEQ anyway. The best use of EQ is to take one or two of your massive peaks post REW measurement, and pull them down with a couple of filters.. The precise curve fitting that REW performs may or may not sound good. Whereas the couple of filters most likely will. So don't worry about whether REW supports the automatic programming of the filters. Measure your low frequency response using REW as documented, find the peak value and guess at the rest of the parameters like bandwidth/Q. You will have to iterate a bit to get the curve which is a good exercise anyway to learn what the filter does audibly and in subsequent measurement using REW.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #4170 of 11277 Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Just installed the very latest REW on the WIN7 laptop (it does indeed appear to play nice with Java ver6).
Hopefully I will be making graphs tonight

WooHoo!
Just revisited my REW efforts. This time with a solid Win7 laptop , and no USB extender cable on the UMIK, seems to be working very well! I'll post some educational (for me ) graphs tomorrow. I now have one foot in the rabbit hole, and am ready to dive-in "head first". :-)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page