Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #5221 of 12565 Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Clearly no need to be discouraged. The most recent measurement is quite a bit better than the last one. Getting two DSP solutions to play well together is not a trivial task, but you will figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 12565 Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Clearly no need to be discouraged. The most recent measurement is quite a bit better than the last one. Getting two DSP solutions to play well together is not a trivial task, but you will figure it out.

Yea I was a bit surprised how much better the second looked. Do you think the ottoman could be doing some absorption? I did all 8 mics both times. But the second was slightly more spread out. I actually used the last three right on the front edge of the cushion hoping it would pull up the null as you get farther away from the back wall and closer towards the middle of the room.

As far as them playing together, I am confident it is a setting on my Mac. It's just weird because the signal passes through but is untouched by any manual changes like it was when I first plugged it in. I will figure it out soon enough.

Also, Sdrucker I think it might have been you that asked hiw long my room is. If not then to who it was, 15ft 8inches.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #5223 of 12565 Old 10-13-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

A word to the wise:  as you are experimenting, keep unnecessary changes to a minimum, or you will not be able to tell which changes account for better or worse results.  Keep the ottoman where it is forever.  And pick a mic pattern and stick with it.  Changes to things like this aren't important right now.  Once you have the speaker locations and DSP options nailed down, you can run a whole suite of ottoman tests...   ;)

Edit:  Signing off for the evening...

post #5224 of 12565 Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A word to the wise:  as you are experimenting, keep unnecessary changes to a minimum, or you will not be able to tell which changes account for better or worse results.  Keep the ottoman where it is forever.  And pick a mic pattern and stick with it.  Changes to things like this aren't important right now.  Once you have the speaker locations and DSP options nailed down, you can run a whole suite of ottoman tests...   wink.gif

Edit:  Signing off for the evening...

Got ya Jerry, thank you for your responses smile.gif

Edit: at least there were only two variables there so I could figure it out easily enough.

My Setup Thread
post #5225 of 12565 Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

If I divide the speed of sound by the frequency of the null, I should get the approximate room dimension that's causing it.

1130 ÷ 70 = 16 (give or take a foot).

The dip means you're within a foot or so of the quarter point of that dimension. If you were at the quarter point, it would be even worse (deeper null).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Also, Sdrucker I think it might have been you that asked hiw long my room is. If not then to who it was, 15ft 8inches.
It was me, and my guess above was off by 4 inches. Your walls must flex a bit.

If you walked from your front wall to your back wall with a SPL meter, this is what the sound level of 70Hz would look like:

Notice there is a peak at the midpoint of room length and nulls at the quarter points of room length (about 4 feet from the front and back walls).

Your measurement mic is about 3 feet from the back wall, which is close enough to the null to give you a dip. If you move just a foot forward, you'd be in the bass null, which you described in an earlier post:
Quote:

The love seat is 12 inches from the back wall but the head when sitting in the seat will be 36 inches from the back wall. An important note is I an tell a difference just by leaning forward. The bass dramatically decreases.
Moving a single sub to either one of the nulls will cancel the 70Hz dip.

You can then move the other sub left to right to cancel any other major null (Audyssey and/or your miniDSP can be used to pull down peaks).

Sanjay
post #5226 of 12565 Old 10-13-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was me, and my guess above was off by 4 inches. Your walls must flex a bit.

If you walked from your front wall to your back wall with a SPL meter, this is what the sound level of 70Hz would look like:

Notice there is a peak at the midpoint of room length and nulls at the quarter points of room length (about 4 feet from the front and back walls).

Your measurement mic is about 3 feet from the back wall, which is close enough to the null to give you a dip. If you move just a foot forward, you'd be in the bass null, which you described in an earlier post:
Moving a single sub to either one of the nulls will cancel the 70Hz dip.

You can then move the other sub left to right to cancel any other major null (Audyssey and/or your miniDSP can be used to pull down peaks).

Well I had the SDpart right lol! So yes they are wood paneling and do flex a bit. You are spot on! I will try that spl meter exercise. But it 'seemed' like the null was smack in the middle and only stronger within 4-5 feet of the front and back wall. But the spl data will prove that tomm smile.gif
So that leaves me with what I had set out to do earlier before I got distracted with the mini dsp not working. Putting them behind the couch, and then one either side of the couch. I could do the right wall right were the 70 null would be and another up front or somewhere else. First order tomm will be to find the best position. Hopefully I will get the dsp to be responsive again as I would need it if I set un equidistant locations to MLP due to lack of sub EQ ht.

My Setup Thread
post #5227 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:

But it 'seemed' like the null was smack in the middle and only stronger within 4-5 feet of the front and back wall.
What do you mean by "smack in the middle"? Are you talking about the middle of room width?

As for the null being "stronger within 4-5 feet of the front and back wall", your quarter points (location of 70Hz nulls) are 4 feet from the front and back walls.
Quote:

Hopefully I will get the dsp to be responsive again as I would need it if I set un equidistant locations to MLP due to lack of sub EQ ht.
Even without Sub EQ HT, why would the subs need to be equidistant from the listening position? Having them at different distances means their peaks & dips won't line up, thereby cancelling each other out rather than reinforcing problems. That's how multiple subs randomly spread around a room can end up smoothening out the overall response.

Sanjay
post #5228 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

Or perhaps a better question, what are the issues associated with near field placement?

The main disadvantage is that the sound field changes rapidly within the near field. But stereo (and multichannel) really is a single seat solution, so near field subs seem to be a perfect match.

The sub(s) shouldn't be placed too far a way from the ears. The farther the sub the earlier room effects creep in. Sometimes it helps to use dipoles instead of monopoles. Here's a sub measurement of my main listening position I just took a few days ago. It's a ripole sub with the opening placed at shoulder height directly behind my head (about 40cm from the ears):

With EQ applied the frequency response is flat to 20Hz with very low modal ringing. Try to match this with multiple subs in the room. Only a DBA can give you similar or even better results.

By the way, this sub is DIY and cost me about $300 (without amp).

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #5229 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even without Sub EQ HT, why would the subs need to be equidistant from the listening position? Having them at different distances means their peaks & dips won't line up, thereby cancelling each other out rather than reinforcing problems. That's how multiple subs randomly spread around a room can end up smoothening out the overall response.

Exactly. Equidistant sub locations don't address any of the issues at low frequencies: smoothness of the steady state response, low ringing and low seat to seat variance.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #5230 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean by "smack in the middle"? Are you talking about the middle of room width?

As for the null being "stronger within 4-5 feet of the front and back wall", your quarter points (location of 70Hz nulls) are 4 feet from the front and back walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Exactly. Equidistant sub locations don't address any of the issues at low frequencies: smoothness of the steady state response, low ringing and low seat to seat variance.

From what I understand is if I don't have sub eq ht then I cannot set different distances for each sub individually. Therefore the time delay would be off because one would be 6ft away and the other 14ft. Because I have time delay capabilities in my mini dsp this is now available. Is this wrong?

I understand the benefit of having different un equidistant locations with dealing with room modes

My Setup Thread
post #5231 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^
Sub EQ HT is an Audyssey "technology". It does time-align two subs. If it detects one sub at 6ft and the other at 14ft, it would delay one of the subs by 14-6=8ft.

Markus

post #5232 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The main disadvantage is that the sound field changes rapidly within the near field. But stereo (and multichannel) really is a single seat solution, so near field subs seem to be a perfect match.

The sub(s) shouldn't be placed too far a way from the ears. The farther the sub the earlier room effects creep in. Sometimes it helps to use dipoles instead of monopoles. Here's a sub measurement of my main listening position I just took a few days ago. It's a ripole sub with the opening placed at shoulder height directly behind my head (about 40cm from the ears):

With EQ applied the frequency response is flat to 20Hz with very low modal ringing. Try to match this with multiple subs in the room. Only a DBA can give you similar or even better results.

By the way, this sub is DIY and cost me about $300 (without amp).

Why exactly is the sound field changing rapidly at near field a did/advantage? (Just trying to understand)

Hmm I could build a big black rectangle to house a couple Submersives behind the head!!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

My Setup Thread
post #5233 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

^
Sound level falls by 6dB each time distance is doubled. This is no longer the case if the sound source is large compared to the listening distance.

I wouldn't recommend building a subwofer wall. It might create very early reflections from the front speakers which can have a detrimental effect on localization.

Markus

post #5234 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73

Just curious about nearfield bass with two subs.  Would it better to co-locate them since you're not really trying to compensate for room modes with positioning?  Might also be a relatively easy way to get at least one of them at ear height.

post #5235 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^
Sound level falls by 6dB each time distance is doubled. This is no longer the case if the sound source is large compared to the listening distance.

I wouldn't recommend building a subwofer wall. It might create very early reflections from the front speakers which can have a detrimental effect on localization.

So in general Markus, are you saying near field is second best only to DBA setup?

My Setup Thread
post #5236 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Just curious about nearfield bass with two subs.  Would it better to co-locate them since you're not really trying to compensate for room modes with positioning?  Might also be a relatively easy way to get at least one of them at ear height.

The most important part is to get the speaker membrane as close to the ears as possible. Two subs are only needed to widen the listening area.

Markus

post #5237 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So in general Markus, are you saying near field is second best only to DBA setup?

Yes.

Markus

post #5238 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.

Cool, I am excited to get measurements tonight then!

My Setup Thread
post #5239 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I'm still not understanding this, Max. What has Audyssey got to do with finding the optimum place in the room for the sub?

Ah - it's clicked now with your middle paragraph above. Trying to optimise the placement of TWO subs in the room. Yes, got that, thanks. I was thinking 'single sub'. So to summarise: one sub, no need to futz with the delays; two subs, futzing is required (unless the two are Y-corded and treated as one). Got it. Thanks.

Still not getting it. I have Integra DHC-80.3 which is pretty modern/fancy and has TWO sub outs.
I thought modern prepro send identical LF signal out on BOTH sub pre outs?
My PC is connected to Integra using headphone jack cable which ends with normal red and white RCA connector at Integra PC inputs.
With REW generating sweep, isn't the Integra sending identical signals on both sub outs?

Do i REALLY need to adjust prepro sub distances after every sub move?

I guess there is only one way to find out for sure - test theory and see if there is a difference - more work - more sweating frown.gif
Wish it would get cooler down in here in the deep south.

thanks

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #5240 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

REW is a mono signal. Regardless of the AVR, and regardless of how you hook it up, both subs are receiving the same mono signal. However, some AVR's allow two separate sub channels to have different delays and trims. So even though the signal is the same, if the delays and trims are different, the measured results will be different.
post #5241 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

ok - so i need to change sub1 and sub2 distance if i move sub1 or sub2 - got it.
But I wonder if it will make my graphs any better or make me change my final locations.
Only one way to find out frown.gif

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #5242 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Here is 1/48 smoothing and 1/6 smoothing for 15 - 300 Hz.
Is it ok for me to say i have +/- 3 dB from 20 - 300 Hz?
When people say they have a flat curve, is it ok to use 1/6 smoothing because that is what the human ear can discern?
In other words, the human ear can't discern 1/12 or 1/24 (true???) so there is no point in fixing peaks and dips greater than +/- 5 dB at these resolutions.

I guess my question is: when is a SPL graph "good enough" and when should you stop trying to fix peaks and dips?

thanks

post #5243 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^
That's probably the 3rd time I'm asking: Did you measure multiple points within the listening area? Humans tend to have two ears, none of which is mounted where you've put your mic...

Markus

post #5244 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

I guess my question is: when is a SPL graph "good enough" and when should you stop trying to fix peaks and dips?

Only Keith has achieved this state, and only because he can't fit two more Submersives into his room. You, on the other hand, have plenty of room, so you better get cracking! wink.gif
post #5245 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^
That's probably the 3rd time I'm asking: Did you measure multiple points within the listening area? Humans tend to have two ears, none of which is mounted where you've put your mic...

Yes, you do keep asking this question, Markus, and I understand that you are concerned about the smoothness of response over a wider area. But look at the OP's room picture. There is only one chair, so I am not too sure if he cares about the wider area at this point. And there are a number of us, myself included, who have stated repeatedly that we are only interested in the response at the MLP. Is that really a bad approach?
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #5246 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^

I only care about the MLP so i use a "close" 6 point XT32 pattern where the first point is measured TWICE and the other 4 points are within 12" of that main (first) XT32 point:

.......*.......
....* * *.....
.......*.......

post #5247 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here considered the Emotiva xmc-1 when it comes out? Looks like it's king of processors with Dirac live.

Well at the price point I mean smile.gif

My Setup Thread
post #5248 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Only Keith has achieved this state, and only because he can't fit two more Submersives into his room. You, on the other hand, have plenty of room, so you better get cracking! wink.gif

awwwwwwww
frown.gif

post #5249 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a question. I am using a Dell M6700 to try and measure the response of my system. I am connecting to the HT system via the built-in HDMI port on the M6700. I have completed the setup as far as the configuration of the outputs in REW. I am using ASIO4ALL v2.11 beta 2, In the widows sound playback devices setup and configuration, my HT system is showing as a 7.1 sound system, and when I test it, the correct tones are produced in the correct speakers. However when I try to set an output device via ASIO4ALL, I am only shown two output devices, neither one of which works. Can I get some guidance in solving this issue.

BTW the JAVA drivers work correctly.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #5250 of 12565 Old 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 2163
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

LOL. Well, I am happy with what I have got. I never thought I'd get near it in this small, squarish room. If I had a bigger room, first thing I’d do is get rear surrounds. Then I’d get a bigger screen for the PJ. And then I'd get two more Submersives, just to have the 'nuclear option'. :)  But I have gone as far as I can in this room I think, so all that's left is to enjoy the movies. But I will continue to try to learn more, with the help of AVS, and if there are further improvements to make, I will definitely be up for the challenge. 

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page