Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 184 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5491 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Brian, IMO you are still missing two important measurements:

1. Left+right+subs
2. Center+subs

Any chance we could see these measurements? I still think something is amiss, because my fundamental belief is that Audyssey should always produce an improved sound.
AustinJerry is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5492 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
OK, so my med's are wearing off a bit, so let me try this again.

I cannot get the calibration of the levels (input and output) the same using the Soundblaster live external USB card. I can get it within about 6 db's but thats it. If I increase or decrease the volume on the computer, it decrease the volume on the left and right level's as well. I am using a Windows 7 computer and REW v 5.

Here is how I had it setup in REW.




Here is how I had it physically connected.



Now I changed the physical setup to this






Which resulted in my ability to calibrate it within a MUCH closer tolerance.



However all the calibrations still look wrong.



From what I read its because of the fact the SoundBlaster has a "monitor" setting that needs to be turned off, but I cant find it anywhere.....

I will have all day on Monday to play with REW as I am home alone with the baby, so whenever she doenst require my attention I will post and hopefully I can get things configured.

I am assuming that once the initial setup is done its fairly easy to take measurements in different rooms?

My plan is to take measurements in my main HT to get my mains and sub integrated right. Then just for giggles I want to look at how bad my 2 channel room is. Its a 11x10 room so I know room modes suck, but I am just curious about things, and if there are any placement things I can do to get it to sound better.

I plan to hopefully get a SMS-1 for my sub, but I have debated if I can get REW to work right getting a mini-dsp to play with integrating my mains and sub together better, since IIRC you can use REW to help you set EQ filters in the mini-dsp....

Anyway I wont ramble further, I am on some heavy pain meds...

And any suggestions on how to fix this would be MUCH appreciated.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #5493 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Brian, IMO you are still missing two important measurements:

1. Left+right+subs
2. Center+subs

Any chance we could see these measurements? I still think something is amiss, because my fundamental belief is that Audyssey should always produce an improved sound.
Maybe i should rerun audyssey

I put the equipment away for the night so it will have to wait. :/

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #5494 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
garygarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

ok here are the measurements...with audyssey on and off...i am leaning towards no audyssey...thoughts?
...

I'll leave it to the experts, but your "right + sub Audyssey" looks smoother than without Audyssey to me, both in peak/trough and in overall smoothness (eyeballing). Also, you have a nice "BBC dip" around 2K, which, along with the Audyssey Reference curve tames a little bit of harshness in my system, even though there is not a crossover anywhere near. The rest of the curves are more confusing. Do you have any room treatments (absorbers, diffusors, bass traps, and ordinary objects like book shelves) you are planning to use in place?
garygarrison is offline  
post #5495 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Sure, re-run Audyssey. Make sure you identify the exact spot you will use as the MLP, which is the first mic position for Audyssey. And when you take the post-calibration measurements, make sure the REW mic is in the same spot, with the mic tip at the same height. I normally take the following eight measurements after a calibration:

- Left+subs, Audyssey off and on
- Right+subs, Audyssey off and on
- Left+right+subs, Audyssey off and on
- Center+subs, Audyssey off and on

Once you get the hang of it, you can generate these measurements quite quickly.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #5496 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Thank you. I will try again possibly tomorrow night smile.gif

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #5497 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I figured out the mini dsp. I took another raw graph pre dsp and pre audyssey. should be the same but I put the dsp back in the signal chain. This is just a quick playing around. I feel like there is much more that could be accomplished as far as knowing the capabilities of the unit and so forth.







and just for comparison, this was yesterday post Audyssey no DSP.


It seems these two can be a great team. I still dont know lots of things I feel I need to know. Such as why is boosting bad? or more than one form of EQ bad? I understand the theology that we want straight as possible naturally before EQ. But as far as what it actually does to the sound, how it affects the sound I yet to understand. Anyway...biggrin.gif
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5498 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

OK, so my med's are wearing off a bit, so let me try this again.

And any suggestions on how to fix this would be MUCH appreciated.

 

As we advised you earlier, getting a Legacy REW kit like yours working properly is off-topic for this thread.  I'll send you a PM, and let's not continue the OT conversation here.

AustinJerry is online now  
post #5499 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

As we advised you earlier, getting a Legacy REW kit like yours working properly is off-topic for this thread.  I'll send you a PM, and let's not continue the OT conversation here.

My apologies, I missed that comment. If there is an applicable thread (and I will look for one) please let me know and I will move my conversation over there.

Again my apologies, I just noticed the full thread title.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #5500 of 10777 Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Would any of you say tweaking the placement of my two corner loaded subs could improve response?
I would try the quarter points of room width.

Rememeber when you were taking your first measurements and you mentioned that leaning forward just a bit made the bass disappear? That was a null at the quarter point of your room. Placing your subs at those locations should smoothen out your response even more.

When measuring, make sure that Audyssey is off, distances are the same, and the miniDSP is out of the signal path. I would even disconnect speakers and turn off crossovers. You want to see what the raw subs are doing. Once you see what problems are left, then you can use the miniDSP to correct them.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #5501 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

ok here are the measurements...with audyssey on and off...i am leaning towards no audyssey...thoughts?

How large was the mic pattern you've used with MultEQ? This is XT, right? I'd recommend getting XT32.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #5502 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yes it was XT. The dispersment was just how they recommend.

I actually have no desire to upgrade to get xt32 as the minidsp is much more flexible. I think i will just run without audyssey

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #5503 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 182
^
The point-to-point variance in your room is probably too large so the result at the listening position looks (or is) worse than without Audyssey. To be fair you should've measured all locations where you've put the Audyssey mic.
Try a much narrower mic pattern, roughly the size of your head. This should give you a much smoother frequency response.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #5504 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Ok will try that. Thanks!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #5505 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I would try the quarter points of room width.

Rememeber when you were taking your first measurements and you mentioned that leaning forward just a bit made the bass disappear? That was a null at the quarter point of your room. Placing your subs at those locations should smoothen out your response even more.

When measuring, make sure that Audyssey is off, distances are the same, and the miniDSP is out of the signal path. I would even disconnect speakers and turn off crossovers. You want to see what the raw subs are doing. Once you see what problems are left, then you can use the miniDSP to correct them.

Ok. The quarter points are basically where my speakers need to be. But I can turn the subs so the skinny side is protruding from the wall. That might work. In the end they can certainly make do where they are if I decide. What do you think about the mini DSP manipulation?

Have any of you ever used something like the HSU MBM mid bass module? It's made to bandpass from 50-150 I believe. Anyway, just a thought as far as one could be sat behind my couch.

Oh and you think I should disconnect mini dsp? I could turn speakers off, crossover off, etc and just disabled the mini dsp and let the signal pass through. If you say so I will do though.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5506 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jkasanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 57

@jlpowell84:  Not Sanjay but I think he just wants to make doubly sure there is nothing else in the chain that "could" be manipulating the signal (e.g. oops, I forgot to turn it off while measuring).  Like I tried to warn you earlier, adding variables to the mix prematurely will just lengthen the overall process.  Your goal should be to find the best placement in the room with no EQ.  Once that's accomplished, you can add XT32 and the mini dsp to the mix.

jkasanic is offline  
post #5507 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

@jlpowell84:  Not Sanjay but I think he just wants to make doubly sure there is nothing else in the chain that "could" be manipulating the signal (e.g. oops, I forgot to turn it off while measuring).  Like I tried to warn you earlier, adding variables to the mix prematurely will just lengthen the overall process.  Your goal should be to find the best placement in the room with no EQ.  Once that's accomplished, you can add XT32 and the mini dsp to the mix.

100% understand. Thanks:)
Btw I only have a Denon 3313 with XT. I may upgrade next next year after my speakers. I scored a 7 channel Sherbourn power amp so that expands my options. You know I an see upgrading to dual master/slave sets from Seaton in the future. 4 dual 15 inch sub enclosures should really help smooth out response smile.gif
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5508 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I can turn the subs so the skinny side is protruding from the wall.
From the pics, it looks like your subs are currently oriented with one of the drivers firing right into the wall. When moving the subs to the quarter points of room width, I would use the opportunity to rotate the subs 90 degrees, so that the drivers are pointing at the left and right walls. Low bass is omnidirectional, so that's not the reason for rotating the sub, but having one of the drivers against a wall might cause problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

You know I an see upgrading to dual master/slave sets from Seaton in the future.
I would invest in a receiver or pre-pro with XT32 first.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #5509 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

From the pics, it looks like your subs are currently oriented with one of the drivers firing right into the wall. When moving the subs to the quarter points of room width, I would use the opportunity to rotate the subs 90 degrees, so that the drivers are pointing at the left and right walls. Low bass is omnidirectional, so that's not the reason for rotating the sub, but having one of the drivers against a wall might cause problems.
I would invest in a receiver or pre-pro with XT32 first.

Yes, more subs would be a couple years away. I can sell my 3313 and get an X4000 easy enough I think.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5510 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I can sell my 3313 and get an X4000 easy enough I think.
IF you get the X4000, you might end up selling your miniDSP as well.

Been meaning to ask: is your set-up intended as a 2-speaker layout or are you planning on eventually adding a centre speaker and surrounds?

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #5511 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

IF you get the X4000, you might end up selling your miniDSP as well.

Been meaning to ask: is your set-up intended as a 2-speaker layout or are you planning on eventually adding a centre speaker and surrounds?

No I'm in the process of upgrades. I don't have lots of disposable income and a wedding in 6 weeks so thousands are going that way. In March I will be getting a big cash bonus from work. I will be getting LCR JTR 212 Noesis mains. And 2 JTR single 8's for surrounds. So 5 channels and 2 subs. We will also be getting a black theater seating style couch (removable middle armrests for the lady). That will be centered where the current couch is now. The ottoman will be removed. And to the right of the couch we will also get a single black theater chair that matches. It will sit angled towards the tv and will butt up to the right of the centered 3 seat couch. I will have a skinny sofa table to the right of the single chair that I will have my computer monitor mounted on a Ergatron extendable arm. This chair will serve a dual purpose of seating and a computer station. I have to get creative in the new space. This will also allow for running wires under the seating for the surround speakers. I am undecided still on how or what they will sit on. JTR single 8" LP (low profile) are still 25lbs.

One purpose if the least the mini dsp has offered is that when both Submersive amp gains were set identical one was 1.5db louder so I can change each channel individually as small as a tenth of a db so I was able to match. That was with the audyssey mic measured exactly in the middle of the MLP from side wall to side wall. I also plan on building a custom tv stand that will house the JTR 212 center channel as well as my new Sherbourn PA-7350 power amplifier. Both are each over 100lbs!

And lastly I plan on adding, with advice from you all, strategically placed room treatments. How far I can go with those, as far as standing some in front of windows or other obtrusive places, I don't know yet. It is her living space too and I want to be considerate. Overall she loves the quality gear and the movie and music experiences it offers. That is my long term plan in a nutshell and hope to be there by mid April
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5512 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Congrats on the wedding. With your subs, you'll be able to address your first two width modes (36Hz, 72Hz). Higher modes (108Hz, 144Hz, 180Hz) will be above the crossover point, so you'll need to try speaker placement to address those. Keep your REW kit handy for when you get your JTR speakers.

BTW, the reason for concentrating more on width modes than length modes is because you're only doing one row of seating. Whatever problems are due to length modes will be the same in all seats, because all the seats are the same distance from the front and back walls. Easier to use an equalizer (Audyssey or miniDSP) when there are common problems in all seats. With that in mind, best to concentrate on minimizing differences from left to right, because each seat is at a different distance to the side walls.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #5513 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Congrats on the wedding. With your subs, you'll be able to address your first two width modes (36Hz, 72Hz). Higher modes (108Hz, 144Hz, 180Hz) will be above the crossover point, so you'll need to try speaker placement to address those. Keep your REW kit handy for when you get your JTR speakers.

BTW, the reason for concentrating more on width modes than length modes is because you're only doing one row of seating. Whatever problems are due to length modes will be the same in all seats, because all the seats are the same distance from the front and back walls. Easier to use an equalizer (Audyssey or miniDSP) when there are common problems in all seats. With that in mind, best to concentrate on minimizing differences from left to right, because each seat is at a different distance to the side walls.

That makes a lot of sense. I am really glad the length works great with where I want the couch. I also realized I can lay the Submersives on their sides with the amp up. This is almost the same height Jeff (JTR) builds his stands for the 212 Noesis. So if needed and that would be a good placement for speakers I could build basically a 3/4 peice of plywood with rubber feet in 4 corners enough to clear the amp components. Or I can place the mains further from the wall out into the room a little more. We will tackle that when the time comes.

One question. With turning off mains, off crossovers, and unplugging the mini dsp, etc. to measure pure sub. How high should I run ? 120hz?
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5514 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jkasanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Might as well sweep to 300 Hz to see the full range of your Subm's.
jkasanic is offline  
post #5515 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Might as well sweep to 300 Hz to see the full range of your Subm's.

Ok sound good, thanks!
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5516 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
ok reran audyssey with a very small variance with positions (closely grouped)






thoughts?

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #5517 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a large difference between the with and without Audyssey graphs. The frequency response doesn't look bad either way. It is somewhat peculiar that you are getting a significant bass boost in the L+R+subs measurements.

My vote would be to leave Audyssey engaged. This allows you to use DEQ. How does it sound to you?
AustinJerry is online now  
post #5518 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
You got the house curve going on Brian! I am in the middle of an article about house curves. The origination, how to develop one and particular how each one is custom per room. Good stuff for sure smile.gif
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5519 of 10777 Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I have a couple questions. I know Keith advised to apply any mini dsp or, secondary to audyssey PEQ, before running Audyssey. Since I am reading about these house curves and how they help with our ability to perceive flat bass and not actual graph flat that is perceived as thin and weak. Wouldn't one want to apply the boost or shelf filter post Audyssey? I mean Audyssey would try and pull it down right?
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #5520 of 10777 Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

ok reran audyssey with a very small variance with positions (closely grouped)

...

thoughts?

You've posted the exact same graphs you had posted yesterday: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs/5460#post_23848902

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off