Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #9181 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is there a way to play test tones through REW? For example, I want to play a continuous 60 Hz signal in my front left speaker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Yeah, I'm using a passive extension cord, works fine. I think it's limited to 15ft max, beyond that you'd need an active extension cord.

post #9183 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Is there a way to play test tones through REW? For example, I want to play a continuous 60 Hz signal in my front left speaker.

Yep, just click the Generator icon at the top:

Just make sure you select the desired speaker in the config screen of REW.

And you can click the RTA icon to open the real-time analyzer and see the freq/level in real-time...

post #9184 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

Quote:

Yep, just click the Generator icon at the top:

Just make sure you select the desired speaker in the config screen of REW.

And you can click the RTA icon to open the real-time analyzer and see the freq/level in real-time...

Awesome thanks, don't know how I missed that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

post #9185 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 367
So, in principle at least, one presumably could use that to evaluate harmonic distortion in your audio equipment. Ideally, with a single-frequency sine wave input, one should not see any peaks at multiples of that frequency.

Can one persuade REW to output two frequencies simultaneously? If so, it might let you evaluate intermodulation distortion, too.

In either case, though, one also has to be concerned about whatever distortion is introduced by the computer's hardware.

Selden
post #9186 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

So I noticed something odd when I was doing a tone generator, I was running at 100 hz for my front left and I was getting a tone coming out of my subwoofer as well even though my crossover is set to 80 Hz.. That doesn't seem right...

post #9187 of 11292 Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:

So I noticed something odd when I was doing a tone generator, I was running at 100 hz for my front left and I was getting a tone coming out of my subwoofer as well even though my crossover is set to 80 Hz.. That doesn't seem right...

A crossover is not a brick wall. If you want to prevent a signal to the sub, change the main speakers to "Large", and make sure your bass setting is not LFE+Main.
post #9188 of 11292 Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Crossovers roll off the response, not chop it off. A typical (LR3) XO set at 100hz will probably only be 6 or 8db down by 80hz. Less output, but still quite audible.

My Room
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/817205-my-listening-room.html

My Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/~jim1961

My Equipment

Rega - Apollo
Rega - DAC
Goldpoint Passive
(2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next ( http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-NEXT.htm )
post #9189 of 11292 Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, learn something new everyday! I feel like I probably should've known that by now though frown.gif

post #9190 of 11292 Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Have retested now and confirm that channel 4 is indeed both SW. Ran some graphs without Audyssey, put it through Rew EQ, saved to the mini dsp and then ran Audyssey on that and am really happy with how it sounds. Will post some graphs soon, the wife is pissed so gotta wait a few days to run the post Audyssey graph.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #9191 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Bit of an "out there" one. I want to use my Denon X4000 AVR to "simulate" my stereo system.

Background, for the curious: It's so I can do some basic measurements with REW to better integrate my sub and I have no way to do them with the actual stereo system. The stereo system uses the same (external) amps and front speakers and one sub as the X4000 system. The stereo system is analog input only, my REW measuring system is HDMI output only.

So the basic X4000 settings will be Audyssey/Tone off, Stereo mode, speakers Large with one sub. My question is: if I set the Bass to LFE+Main, will the sub get the full range R and L signals? (Like it would when that sub is connected to the stereo system.) There will be no actual LFE signal of course, so I assume the AVR Sub Out connector just has "Main" content. Does this sound correct to those of you who have Denon AVRs or similar? I will do my adjustments (input LPF etc.) at the sub (I have separate settings for this sub for Stereo or AVR already, no prob, they are set by menu). Am I forgetting some other AVR settings e.g. like FR/FL/Sub levels? Thanks.

I think I can do this sub/main integration better with REW than I did with the SPL meter etc. numerous years ago. I adjusted the sub's phase by ear back then lol, I'm still not sure how to set it using REW, but maybe that'll become clearer after I get going on it this way.

Edit: P.S. Phase II of my room treatment process was completed yesterday. That was mostly a clean-up/aesthetics operation, such as it is, and I almost went a bit overboard (not sure) with absorption panels but lucky fate perhaps restrained me. There will be a Phase III, which will be mostly diffusion for the front wall (FR/FL speakers are dipoles), and maybe a bit more absorption for the ceiling.
post #9192 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 227
^
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1054182/official-denon-avr-2309ci-889-thread/660#post_15018166

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #9193 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Thanks, that seems like what I remember, but the thing that throws me is the talk of XO with speakers set to Large. I don't have the X4000 right here to look, but I do recall that XO selection in general is grayed out as soon as you set speakers to Large. This makes sense. Do you think XO selection is "reactivated" when I select Bass=LFE+Main? I will probably have to test this with REW to verify what's going on the sub output, I don't really expect you to know offhand.

But you did reiterate the question in the back of my mind: do they really output full range on the Sub Outputs if you select LFE+Main for Large speakers? Somehow this seems strange, yet it is inferred. REW to the rescue...
post #9194 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 227
^
I'd measure the preamp outputs.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #9195 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Taking advantage of my energy today, a did another test that some might find interesting.

Here is the issue:  What is the difference if someone purchases a USB mic from someplace other than CSL, and downloads the calibration file from the vendor website?  Both Dayton Audio and Mini-DSP allow a customer who has purchased a microphone to log into the support website, enter the mic's serial number, and download a calibration file.  Is this calibration file better, inferior, or the same as the custom calibration files from CSL?

I ran the test for my UMIK-1 (although I also have a UMM-6, and could run the test for that mic as well, if anyone is interested).  Here are the results:

[snip]

Bookmark this post so you can answer the question, because it is bound to come up over and over again.....

Arrg.  Canadian newbie here.  So I wanted to look into room treatments, which led me to http://realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm, which pointed me to the Dayton UMM-6, which Cross-spectrum says they won't ship to Canada, which led me to purchase it from the Canadian retailer http://www.solen.ca.  Got my mike and all excited to start learning how to use it and then after digging in further, I come across the above info, so grrrrr.

Does anyone have any info on how different the Dayton stock 0-degree calibration is from the proper 90-degree one that cross-spectrum does for UMM-6?  Right now, I want to use it to figure out what things I should do to my room but who knows, the further I get into it I may want to do more.  What are my options:

1. It doesn't matter enough for what I want to do?

2. Can I get the UMM-6 professionally calibrated (no idea how much that costs) or do it myself?

3. Eat the shipping+restocking costs, return the mike and purchase a UMIK-1 from cross-spectrum, which apparently they do ship internationally.  If I did more reading before the purchase I definitely would have done this but it's like swimming in a sea of information when you first get into it:)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

post #9196 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Where is that post from Jerry BTW? I hope you bookmarked it so I can re-read it. smile.gif I got the UMIK-1 from MiniDSP, CSL didn't have any at the time and no ETA. Same prob as you with UMM-6 from CSL...it's tough living in Canada. But the UMIK-1 got here in like 2 days from HK with cheapest shipping, I can't even get a letter across Toronto in 2 days...

I have been using the UMIK-1 with the cal file they give you from their site. It's 0° and I measure using it 90° almost always. I thought I read the first/last time I read Jerry's post that it doesn't make a large diff, but that was before I actually got the mike. That said, since MiniDSP is so into REW, it would make sense for them to start offering 90° cals instead of 0° ones, if they can't offer both. Better than nothing if you can't get a calibrated mike, and at the time it was mike availability for me, not $$.

I didn't know Solen even sold the UMM-6 here or I might have gotten one from them, I like that company and like to support them when possible. It is said the UMIK-1 is noticeably "less easily breakable" than the UMM-6 though, that is why CSL doesn't like to ship UMM-6 outside the U.S., though from them to here (say) is a lot closer than from them to CA or AK if they're worried about shipping damage...
post #9197 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

It's post#4921 (edit:4296) on page 165 of this thread.  Half-way through this thread, lol what a mountain of info for a newbie but it shows how generous these guys are with their time!

Regarding shipping internationally, I think it's the customs officials that like to break stuff.  There was another thread somewhere about an international buyer who had a UMM-6 broken on arrival.  The CSL guys were really good about it but those incidents are probably what caused them to stop shipping it outside U.S.

post #9198 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxmann View Post

Regarding shipping internationally, I think it's the customs officials that like to break stuff.  There was another thread somewhere about an international buyer who had a UMM-6 broken on arrival.  The CSL guys were really good about it but those incidents are probably what caused them to stop shipping it outside U.S.

I'd go with some sort of agreement between CSL and the mic manufacturer having to do with international distribution agreements. Not that customs doesn't break stuff ... but it could be that they don't want the drama of liability across international borders.
post #9199 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:

I'd go with some sort of agreement between CSL and the mic manufacturer having to do with international distribution agreements. Not that customs doesn't break stuff ... but it could be that they don't want the drama of liability across international borders.

No need to speculate. Herb at CSL has already told us - it was the number of returns due to breakages that caused him to stop international shipping on the UMM-6.  These mics are incredibly fragile - dropping them onto a carpeted floor from a height of 2 feet has been reported as snapping the mic off at the neck. I handle mine like it is made from the bones of butterflies. 

post #9200 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Wireless member

I stand corrected.

Aren't butterflies exo-skeletal? wink.gif
post #9201 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I stand corrected.

Aren't butterflies exo-skeletal? wink.gif

They are in some places but round these parts we have man-sized butterflies that can kill a horse stone dead with one beat of the wing.

post #9202 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

They are in some places but round these parts we have man-sized butterflies that can kill a horse stone dead with one beat of the wing.

I've heard about them. Middle Earth, right?
post #9203 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

No need to speculate. Herb at CSL has already told us - it was the number of returns due to breakages that caused him to stop international shipping on the UMM-6.  These mics are incredibly fragile - dropping them onto a carpeted floor from a height of 2 feet has been reported as snapping the mic off at the neck. I handle mine like it is made from the bones of butterflies. 

Two feet is generous; the top of my UMM-6 mic broke off at closer to a single foot, falling on carpeting in our living room. I think the bounce is what does it.

At any rate, some tape around the neck of the mic holding the top in place seems to work, and I can't say I've noticed much difference in any FR or spectrogram plots as a result.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #9204 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard about them. Middle Earth, right?

Middel-erde we call it, but yeah...

post #9205 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Quote:

Two feet is generous; the top of my UMM-6 mic broke off at closer to a single foot, falling on carpeting in our living room. I think the bounce is what does it.

At any rate, some tape around the neck of the mic holding the top in place seems to work, and I can't say I've noticed much difference in any FR or spectrogram plots as a result.

You may well hold the all-comers international record for UMM-6 destruction. Yeah, gaffer tape it and it will continue to work just fine. And the presence of the gaffer tape makes you look like a real Pro when using it, so that's a benefit really. 

post #9206 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
I ended up going with the UMIK-1 specifically because of these types of reports, and I have to say it feels particularly tank-like in construction. I can't imagine the neck snapping off, it feels quite substantial.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9207 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anyone have any info on how different the Dayton stock 0-degree calibration is from the proper 90-degree one that cross-spectrum does for UMM-6?  Right now, I want to use it to figure out what things I should do to my room but who knows, the further I get into it I may want to do more.  What are my options:
1. It doesn't matter enough for what I want to do?
2. Can I get the UMM-6 professionally calibrated (no idea how much that costs) or do it myself?
3. Eat the shipping+restocking costs, return the mike and purchase a UMIK-1 from cross-spectrum, which apparently they do ship internationally.  If I did more reading before the purchase I definitely would have done this but it's like swimming in a sea of information when you first get into it:)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Based on the data Jerry posted, it would appear the difference is only that significant in the high freqs, so I wouldn't trust it too much above 4-5khz, but I think it's fine for anything else.

From what I understand you can send the mic into CSL and have them calibrate it for you and send it back for a small fee. But of course once you are doing that you might as well just return the UMM-6 and order the UMIK-1 from CSL directly.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9208 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

Bit of an "out there" one. I want to use my Denon X4000 AVR to "simulate" my stereo system.

So the basic X4000 settings will be Audyssey/Tone off, Stereo mode, speakers Large with one sub. My question is: if I set the Bass to LFE+Main, will the sub get the full range R and L signals? (Like it would when that sub is connected to the stereo system.) There will be no actual LFE signal of course, so I assume the AVR Sub Out connector just has "Main" content. Does this sound correct to those of you who have Denon AVRs or similar? I will do my adjustments (input LPF etc.) at the sub (I have separate settings for this sub for Stereo or AVR already, no prob, they are set by menu). Am I forgetting some other AVR settings e.g. like FR/FL/Sub levels? Thanks.

Although I haven't tested it with my X4000, my understanding based on experience with other models is that with LFE+MAIN engaged the "Crossover" on the Front speakers effectively becomes the LPF for the "double bass" information. So if you have the speakers set to LARGE/80HZ with LFE+MAIN (and yes it's grayed out for "large" speakers when set to LFE) then the sub will get a duplicate FR/FL signal filtered at 80Hz.

It would be fairly easy to test this out and verify empirically. All that said, with respect to the initial prompt for this academic discussion.....

Quote:
Background, for the curious: It's so I can do some basic measurements with REW to better integrate my sub and I have no way to do them with the actual stereo system. The stereo system uses the same (external) amps and front speakers and one sub as the X4000 system. The stereo system is analog input only, my REW measuring system is HDMI output only.

How can it be HDMI only??? Does your laptop not have a headphone jack? If so you can avoid this rigamarole and simply use the standard Java drivers with analog output (e.g. with a simple mini-jack to RCA stereo cable, plus an RCA y-splitter to feed L+R simultaneously).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9209 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

You may well hold the all-comers international record for UMM-6 destruction. Yeah, gaffer tape it and it will continue to work just fine. And the presence of the gaffer tape makes you look like a real Pro when using it, so that's a benefit really. 

Part of the learning curve; if the mic neck's not broken it's not broken in smile.gif. And it was shipped to Chicago, so no customs to deal with unless you count the Chicago Way.

Having said that, I just ordered the UMIK-1 from CSL, simply to see if my > 5 kHz response is truly tailing off as much as it's been when I've been using the MiniDSP for applying REW's Auto EQ for the mains to do some post DSP Trinnov tweaks (nothing above 1 kHz or so, with one exception at 3 kHz for my center).

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #9210 of 11292 Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

It would be fairly easy to test this out and verify empirically. All that said, with respect to the initial prompt for this academic discussion.....

Quote:

How can it be HDMI only??? Does your laptop not have a headphone jack? If so you can avoid this rigamarole and simply use the standard Java drivers with analog output (e.g. with a simple mini-jack to RCA stereo cable, plus an RCA y-splitter to feed L+R simultaneously).

I guess you're right, I could do that, but when I last looked at doing this the "analog way" I thought it seemed a PITA though, forget exactly why. Don't I have to somehow calibrate the sound card (which probably isn't that good)? I think that was it, it seemed easier/better to stay in the digital domain. I presume the laptop has a headphone jack. I do have the analog cables/adapters. Don't think I've ever used the Java drivers. I'll look at it again.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page