Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 328 - AVS Forum
First ... 326  327  328 329  330  ... Last
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs
retro124's Avatar retro124 08:58 AM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Hello guys I set up all with my Mac and Umik-1 sound flower and REW all what J_P_A said but looks like it not working how I can start to work with it? 

Ok now I hear sound from subs when I check subs levels on REW but what to do next? Do I need to calibrate Umik-1? if yes how? and how I can see some result from my subs?

Thanks for help.

I'm trying to calibration on REW and I need to a adjust input volume and I don't know how I can't click on it.

I can't see Umik-1 in input options

AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 09:54 AM 05-07-2014

Your Preferences screen doesn't look like my Preferences screen.  Apple users--is this how the Preferences screen looks like when using a Mac?

Here is my screen:

Sorry I can't help with Mac issues.

retro124's Avatar retro124 10:08 AM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Your Preferences screen doesn't look like my Preferences screen.  Apple users--is this how the Preferences screen looks like when using a Mac?

Here is my screen:

Sorry I can't help with Mac issues.

I had REW 5.0 version now I have 5.01 and it looks like what you send but still can't find umik-1 in input selection.

How I can do calibration I can't find where to adjust input volume.

AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 10:43 AM 05-07-2014
Sorry, don't know how to troubleshoot Mac problems
sdrucker's Avatar sdrucker 11:20 AM 05-07-2014
Quote:

Exactly why I'm probably going to keep REW on a Windows platform, rather than having it on a Mac with music content (plus I already have a Windows PC anyway). If Keith's not up to doing it, given that it's beta use of a beta use product (REW itself is effectively a beta product under continuous development), even with Sunflower, based on J_P_A's notes, it's still a work in progress. Has anyone pinged JohnPM about Mac issues lately?
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 02:14 PM 05-07-2014
Jerry on the Mac it looks like what he posted above. I can help him smile.gif
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 02:18 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

I had REW 5.0 version now I have 5.01 and it looks like what you send but still can't find umik-1 in input selection.
How I can do calibration I can't find where to adjust input volume.

If you follow JPA's soundflower guide that Jerry links in his main guide you will be there. Your Umik-1 will not show up in REW on that drop down menu. I believe JPA says to leave it on "Default Device." Then, assuming you have your Umik calibration file upload correctly and have calibrated the REW SPL meter, then you turn on SoundFlower and select HDMI and should be ready to go. Click on the SPL meter and hit go and you should get an accurate reading around 42-49db noise floor. Let me know if you have any questions and I can get back to it about 530 Pacific time smile.gif

Just thinking some more. The Umik is seen under System Preferences>Sound. When you click on input you should see your Umik as a selection.
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 02:18 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Exactly why I'm probably going to keep REW on a Windows platform, rather than having it on a Mac with music content (plus I already have a Windows PC anyway). If Keith's not up to doing it, given that it's beta use of a beta use product (REW itself is effectively a beta product under continuous development), even with Sunflower, based on J_P_A's notes, it's still a work in progress. Has anyone pinged JohnPM about Mac issues lately?

Who is JohnPM? I would like to talk to someone who knows REW and MACS!!!!!
sdrucker's Avatar sdrucker 02:26 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Who is JohnPM? I would like to talk to someone who knows REW and MACS!!!!!

The developer of REW--he posts here occasionally
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 02:27 PM 05-07-2014
Also curious Retro, when you click on your speaker selection on the top left of your REW preferences screen do you show more than Left and Right channels?
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 02:28 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

The developer of REW--he posts here occasionally

Oh I see. How are the HTS REW threads? active? I have thought about heading over there with my issues
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 02:28 PM 05-07-2014
At this point I would be willing to pay for help and a solution!!!!
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 02:37 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

Oh I see. How are the HTS REW threads? active? I have thought about heading over there with my issues

I think you are more likely to get John's attention in the HTS REW forum.
retro124's Avatar retro124 03:17 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

At this point I would be willing to pay for help and a solution!!!!

You mean input channel?

retro124's Avatar retro124 05:20 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

You mean input channel?

I'm playing with Mac and REW and it is not working at all. It is very hard to use !!! 

kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 06:08 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

Quote:

I have used a Mac for longer than I can remember and even I won't use it for REW measurments. (I do use it for analysing the mdat file post-measurements as I find it much easier to do this on my two big screens which are hooked up to my Mac, for which I sincerely thank John M for the Mac version).

The main reason I decided to use Windows was that there is a thousand times more support for the REW Windows platform when one gets stuck (which is probably inevitable when learning to use a program of this complexity). Plus the fact that I had had to buy a Windows laptop just for use (initially) with Audyssey Pro. I dislike using Windows (not because it is inferior but because I am deeply unfamiliar with it and anything out of the ordinary gives me problems - even something as simple as a screen cap caused me to have to ask for advice for example) but bit the bullet with Pro because I had no choice. Same when I started with OmniMic, so it was a natural progression to measure with Windows when I started with REW. I have to say it is a decision which I am pleased I took. As soon as the measuring is done, I go back to my Mac and load the mdat file and everything else is handled on the Mac. I also find having dual screens a big help here too.

I can easily understand the reluctance of long-term Mac users to buy a Windows laptop just to run REW, but they are available cheaply secondhand. All one needs to do is ensure that it has HDMI support, and preferably m/ch HDMI support, although this isn't absolutely necessary as Jerry explains in his definitive Guide.

jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 06:31 PM 05-07-2014
Good words Keith and I think I will be picking up a secondhand windows laptop soon to do the same. I feel like your comments echo my thoughts as I am a Mac guy and love the use of my Mac. In the end part of me wants to figure out the issues and be the "Pioneer" of solving these issues and perhaps helping future users. Mostly I just want to figure it out because that is the way I am. But I must decide if the frustration will come back or if I can leave that in the past in finding out "why."
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 06:32 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

I'm playing with Mac and REW and it is not working at all. It is very hard to use !!! 

explain what is not working? Have you gone through Jerry's guide and JPA's insert with SoundFlower?

Remember while I am having issues now I didn't for a year and other active guys here have Macs that work just fine with REW. Be descriptive as possible and I will help best as I can. I am very familiar with the process by this point and I still get measurements, mic recognition, everything. I am just having weird subwoofer channel activity where my subs dip from 30hz-about 80-100hz.
artur9's Avatar artur9 07:32 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

explain what is not working? Have you gone through Jerry's guide and JPA's insert with SoundFlower?
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 
I don't have an HDMI Mac nor a lot of time but let's take this to PM so as not to bother anyone else until we get this sorted.
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 07:42 PM 05-07-2014
So I think I have discovered why I only see Left and Right as speaker options in REW preferences. My HDMI selection allows me to click multichannel
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

I don't have an HDMI Mac nor a lot of time but let's take this to PM so as not to bother anyone else until we get this sorted.

I have no prob discussing anywhere but can't we here? I know this thread has a "stricter" tolerance to off topic but this is on topic. But I'm fine either way smile.gif Also I just had breakthrough with getting all channels and not just Left and Right!!!! More to come in a bit. I was just thinking Mac info documented publicly can be valuable for others smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 07:47 PM 05-07-2014
I wouldn't have an issue if you continue your problem discussion in the thread. I suspect future visitors to the thread may benefit from your findings, and if you conduct everything in a PM, they will have no visibility. JMO.
artur9's Avatar artur9 08:22 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

I have no prob discussing anywhere but can't we here?

I just thought we'd be bugging others but, if not, by all means let's continue here.

So, what did you change to get HDMI to work?
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 08:51 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

I just thought we'd be bugging others but, if not, by all means let's continue here.

So, what did you change to get HDMI to work?

Ok so it is actually obvious. But the thing is I swore I had done this before with no success. And that may be the case as I may have had my AVR on "Stereo" instead of "Multi Ch In." I will attach pics but you have to go to the Audio Midi and select HDMI and select 8 channel instead of 2 channel. Now you have to have it on 2 channel normally so you can get the Dolby and DTS listening presets from the Mac. But in addition when you measure you have to make sure the listening preset on the AVR is "Multi Ch In." So now when you open SoundFlower and elect channel 1 in the drop down menu you now have 8 HDMI options rather than 2 HDMI options. So my Mac configures 1-left, 2-right, 3-center, 4-sub only. Just now in selecting options 5 and 6 I did not get any surround activity but perhaps in the future.

jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 08:55 PM 05-07-2014
Still weird wacky FR response. I am pretty sure I could hear with my ear different subwoofer activity. For example on some sweeps the levels would be higher up to 80-100hz and I could tell by ear. Some sweeps it dropped horribly by 40-50hz and it was easy to tell. More to find there. But since un-installing and re-installing I attempted to re-calibrate the REW SPL meter. But I am still ending up with a noise floor of around 70db! I don't get why either. The pic shown shows the RTA response...

artur9's Avatar artur9 09:09 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

So my Mac configures 1-left, 2-right, 3-center, 4-sub only. Just now in selecting options 5 and 6 I did not get any surround activity but perhaps in the future.

I don't follow this part. Why do you only have 4 speakers enabled? I do know that you can use SoundFlower to turn on/off individual channels. Maybe 5&6 are off there?
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 09:11 PM 05-07-2014

Can you describe step by step what happens when you attempt to calibrate the mic?  Are you using an external SPL as the reference during the calibration, or are you using a calibration file with a sensitivity parameter?  Until we can verify that your mic is calibrated properly, we can't proceed.

And BTW, when you say that your measurements are still wacky, it would be nice if you actually posted a sample for us to see.  Or make the REW MDAT file available for us to examine.

artur9's Avatar artur9 09:12 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

Still weird wacky FR response.

When I have had issues like this I run a sweep that only my subwoofers should play. Have you tried that? Like using the tone generator in REW to play a 35Hz sine wave.

Your graph shows your sweep ending at 30KHz. Is that right? I don't think these mics are calibrated to go that high.

And you say that it registers 73db even when your environment is silent?
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 10:08 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

I don't follow this part. Why do you only have 4 speakers enabled? I do know that you can use SoundFlower to turn on/off individual channels. Maybe 5&6 are off there?

I had all enabled but for some reason 5 and 6 were not giving me activity on an attempt of a sweep. I'm sure it's just a click away and will figure it out smile.gif
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 10:16 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:

Can you describe step by step what happens when you attempt to calibrate the mic?  Are you using an external SPL as the reference during the calibration, or are you using a calibration file with a sensitivity parameter?  Until we can verify that your mic is calibrated properly, we can't proceed.

And BTW, when you say that your measurements are still wacky, it would be nice if you actually posted a sample for us to see.  Or make the REW MDAT file available for us to examine.

remember this was raw a couple weeks ago and nothing has moved an inch

I open the SPL, click calibrate and use REW subwoofer cal signal, click ok, the adjustment is already on 80 and I hold my RS SPL meter next to the tip of the UMM-6 until it gets close and click "finished." I then get a max of somewhere in the SPL range you say in your guide. Usually like 114-116db max. Then the REW SPL meter just drops to about 72db reading instead of like 45 before my room treatments and about 41 after my room treatments. It's really weird! Did I miss any info?
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 10:41 PM 05-07-2014
I don't see where you adjust the AVR master volume to get the desired SPL. Also, I don't see where you are reading what the external SPL meter says. You should be adjusting the MV to achieve the 80dB reading on the external SPL before you click Ok. Also, the headroom numbers seem to be high to me. I consistently get 102-103dB headroom when I adjust MV to produce a 90dB reading on the external SPL. Can you try 90 just to humor me?
Tags: Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew
First ... 326  327  328 329  330  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop