Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 367 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #10981 of 11661 Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post
I dont know what "acourate" is or its relation to DSP. As far as my opinion of DSP, I am not opposed in principle to processing for subs. But I believe that my setup wouldn't allow for it, even if I thought it would help.
http://www.audiovero.de/en/acourate.html

It is used in a variety of esoteric stereo setups (and also by me in my relatively plain vanilla setup) for full range DSP, crossovers and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 11661 Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Adressed to you, 3ll3d00d, and whoever else may use this program.

What has it given you in the form of new tools that lead directly to improvement in the sound of your system? What were those improvements? What specific tools in this software were utilized in this improvement?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)

Last edited by jim19611961; 08-15-2014 at 02:12 PM.
post #10983 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran my first measurements yesterday and I noticed the db level was much higher (15 db) for the tests that had Audyssey on, is that normal (DEQ and dyn vol were off)? What should my AVR volume be set at during the tests? What db level am I shooting for (on average) for the FR tests?

In case it matters, I ran Aud which set my subs at -9, I bumped them up to -3 to my liking thru the AVR, and then I level matched subs with AVR test tones (78 mains and 81 subs). I had to bump the gain on the right sub about 3db to get it to match the left at 81. I will gain match the subs eventually.

What is the best way to post my .mdat file online so that someone can review it?
post #10984 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 733
First of all, I don't know why you would alter the trims after running Audyssey. I have been using Audyssey for a number of years, and my experience has been that the levels set by Audyssey are always very accurate. It is likely that the Audyssey trims are more accurate than the method you are using to check the trims post-calibration. My recommendation would be to leave the trims alone.

Of course, some people find that the calibrated subwoofer level is a bit too low for their preferences, so there is nothing wrong with raising the sub trim level in the AVR a few dB to suit your tastes.

As for the relative measurement levels with Audyssey off or on, I have never seen a significant level difference, certainly not as much as 15 dB. It would not be uncommon to see a 1-2 dB increase when Audyssey is turned on. If both Dynamic Volume and DEQ are off, then I don't know what is happening, but it is not normal.

As far as the measurement level for REW, I assume you atre either calibrating the mic, or are using a calibration file with a sensitivity parameter (as described in the Guide). I run my measurements at 90 dB.

To share the MDAT file, I use Dropbox.com.

post #10985 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
First of all, I don't know why you would alter the trims after running Audyssey. I have been using Audyssey for a number of years, and my experience has been that the levels set by Audyssey are always very accurate. It is likely that the Audyssey trims are more accurate than the method you are using to check the trims post-calibration. My recommendation would be to leave the trims alone.

Of course, some people find that the calibrated subwoofer level is a bit too low for their preferences, so there is nothing wrong with raising the sub trim level in the AVR a few dB to suit your tastes.

As for the relative measurement levels with Audyssey off or on, I have never seen a significant level difference, certainly not as much as 15 dB. It would not be uncommon to see a 1-2 dB increase when Audyssey is turned on. If both Dynamic Volume and DEQ are off, then I don't know what is happening, but it is not normal.

As far as the measurement level for REW, I assume you atre either calibrating the mic, or are using a calibration file with a sensitivity parameter (as described in the Guide). I run my measurements at 90 dB.

To share the MDAT file, I use Dropbox.com.
I goofed by running audyssey and then level matching, I will reverse that to see if anything changes.

I am using the Umik with the calibration file from Mini DSP and it's sitting vertically. Since I have that mic and calibration file, I skipped step 5 on the REW guide. I'm assuming this was correct.

You mention running measurements at 90db, what do you change to get that level - the AVR?
post #10986 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
I goofed by running audyssey and then level matching, I will reverse that to see if anything changes.

I am using the Umik with the calibration file from Mini DSP and it's sitting vertically. Since I have that mic and calibration file, I skipped step 5 on the REW guide. I'm assuming this was correct.

You mention running measurements at 90db, what do you change to get that level - the AVR?
Your mic needs to be calibrated. If you downloaded the calibration file from MiniDSP, open the file with a text editor. If the first record in the file starts with "Sensitivity =", then REW will use this sensitivity parameter to automatically calibrate the mic. If there is no sensitivity parameter, then read Section 5 again on how to download the sensitivity parameter.

As far as setting the measurement level, open the REW SPL tool, and click the red button so the SPL meter is measuring the mic input. Then open the REW signal Generator tool, select Pink Noise, and "Speaker Cal" on the Pink Noise screen, and finally set the level to -12dB FS. Play the pink noise tone with the mic pointed towards the ceiling, with the tip at ear level. Observe the level being registered in the SPL window. Then adjust your AVR's master volume control until the SPL reading is registering the desired level, i.e. 90dB. Measurement sweeps now should be registering ~90dB levels.

post #10987 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Your mic needs to be calibrated. If you downloaded the calibration file from MiniDSP, open the file with a text editor. If the first record in the file starts with "Sensitivity =", then REW will use this sensitivity parameter to automatically calibrate the mic. If there is no sensitivity parameter, then read Section 5 again on how to download the sensitivity parameter.

As far as setting the measurement level, open the REW SPL tool, and click the red button so the SPL meter is measuring the mic input. Then open the REW signal Generator tool, select Pink Noise, and "Speaker Cal" on the Pink Noise screen, and finally set the level to -12dB FS. Play the pink noise tone with the mic pointed towards the ceiling, with the tip at ear level. Observe the level being registered in the SPL window. Then adjust your AVR's master volume control until the SPL reading is registering the desired level, i.e. 90dB. Measurement sweeps now should be registering ~90dB levels.
I believe that I have already calibrated the mic previously by doing steps 1a thru e on pages 53-54 of the REW guide. I downloaded the txt file from Mini DSP site based on the mic serial number and then selected this txt calibration file when REW asked for it. The first line of the txt file says "Sens Factor =-8.830dB, SERNO: 7004765". Since this text is in the first line, it means that I'm calibrated, correct?

Thanks for the other paragraph of information....this clears up a lot of my questions.
post #10988 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you should be good to go.

post #10989 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post
Adressed to you, 3ll3d00d, and whoever else may use this program.

What has it given you in the form of new tools that lead directly to improvement in the sound of your system? What were those improvements? What specific tools in this software were utilized in this improvement?
Personally I use acourate to create a set of filters that provide; (frequency and phase) room correction, bass management, speaker correction (subwoofer only) and time alignment of all channels (delays between sub and mains & mains to each other). The sub mains XO is a linear phase Neville-Theile, the room correction is delivered via a 65k tap FIR filter (i.e. capable of v high resolution correction) correcting frequency to my chosen target curve (a BK curve basically) & correcting phase according to acourate's proprietary algorithms.

The final filters are run by jriver for playback & I think it's reasonable to argue that acourate is considered to deliver the best SQ out of the main solutions (dirac, audiolense, hand crafted FIR filters using brutefir/drc/etc). Obviously it's a niche product but I haven't heard anyone complain about the SQ yet. Acourate has massively improved how my system sounds, it's hard to describe how much more enjoyable it is to listen to without starting to sound quite rabid.

The main difference, in workflow terms, to other solutions, is that it clearly separates the correction of the speaker from the correction of the room. It also gives you complete flexibility of what you correct, how and when.

I don't currently use it for speaker correction (driver linearisation, main speaker XOs) as I don't run active n way mains atm & my speakers (which have 3 tweeters and 2 woofers where tweeters have different XOs for directivity purposes) don't respond well to that approach, or at least I have had no success doing so as yet.

I haven't tried AcourateFlow (an approach to adding frequency dependent crosstalk to a digital source described in this post) either.

As to what it can do for you, well it is described as a DSP toolkit and it's really down to your imagination. To provide some inspiration, here are some links;

Linear Phase XOs in Acourate - http://www.acourate.com/XOWhitePaper.pdf
A guide to basic room correction in Acourate - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...e-walkthrough/
A guide to time alignment and driver linearisation in Acourate - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...n-walkthrough/
An end to end description of one users system (that uses acourate extensively) - http://digitalroomcorrection.hk/http..._/Welcome.html
Some recent ex dirac users who have picked it up recently comment in this thread
post #10990 of 11661 Old 08-16-2014, 08:34 PM

I think that I finally got a good measurement (well maybe - you tell me). https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...binets%20.mdat

Any chance that somebody could look at this and verify that everything was done correctly? I know the FR and waterfalls look pretty bad, and I'll worry about that later, but at this point I'd like to know if it *appears* that I'm using REW correctly. Once I know that I've tested everything correctly, I will start moving the subs around the room and compare the measurements. This set of measurements had the subs placed inside built in cabinets....a big no-no....and I'm hoping the results are better when they are placed elsewhere.

Prior to the test, I did the following:
Calibrated the Umik with the Mini DSP txt file.
Subs were level matched with pink noise - sub gain was appx 2:00
Ran audyssey - subs were set at -9 and I didn't change this level. Test tones and pink noise had identical dB from mains and subs - checked this with and w/o aud and the dB levels were consistent.
Checked level matching again after running aud - looked fine.
Adjusted AVR level to -10 so spkr cal pink noise was at 90dB for mains and sub cal was 90dB for the subs.

I used the RCA cables / Java method since my HDMI wouldn't work. Both L and R cables were plugged in. Mains were only turned on for the last two measurements to get to get waterfall measurements.

I'm using a Marantz SR7005 with Aud XT.

I ran out of headroom on the last two tests and had to adjust the AVR to -15. All other tests were done at -10....as noted in each test.

Thanks in advance!
post #10991 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 268
^
It appears you use it correctly. But, what was measured from where?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #10992 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Personally I use acourate to create a set of filters that provide; (frequency and phase) room correction, bass management, speaker correction (subwoofer only) and time alignment of all channels (delays between sub and mains & mains to each other). The sub mains XO is a linear phase Neville-Theile, the room correction is delivered via a 65k tap FIR filter (i.e. capable of v high resolution correction) correcting frequency to my chosen target curve (a BK curve basically) & correcting phase according to acourate's proprietary algorithms.

The final filters are run by jriver for playback & I think it's reasonable to argue that acourate is considered to deliver the best SQ out of the main solutions (dirac, audiolense, hand crafted FIR filters using brutefir/drc/etc). Obviously it's a niche product but I haven't heard anyone complain about the SQ yet. Acourate has massively improved how my system sounds, it's hard to describe how much more enjoyable it is to listen to without starting to sound quite rabid.

The main difference, in workflow terms, to other solutions, is that it clearly separates the correction of the speaker from the correction of the room. It also gives you complete flexibility of what you correct, how and when.

I don't currently use it for speaker correction (driver linearisation, main speaker XOs) as I don't run active n way mains atm & my speakers (which have 3 tweeters and 2 woofers where tweeters have different XOs for directivity purposes) don't respond well to that approach, or at least I have had no success doing so as yet.

I haven't tried AcourateFlow (an approach to adding frequency dependent crosstalk to a digital source described in this post) either.

As to what it can do for you, well it is described as a DSP toolkit and it's really down to your imagination. To provide some inspiration, here are some links;

Linear Phase XOs in Acourate - http://www.acourate.com/XOWhitePaper.pdf
A guide to basic room correction in Acourate - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...e-walkthrough/
A guide to time alignment and driver linearisation in Acourate - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...n-walkthrough/
An end to end description of one users system (that uses acourate extensively) - http://digitalroomcorrection.hk/http..._/Welcome.html
Some recent ex dirac users who have picked it up recently comment in this thread
Thanks for the response and the links. I will look at them at some near future point.

Edit:

I think folks wanting to improve there sound systems fall into one of three categories:

1) Those using processing (Audyssey, Dsp, ect....) with no acoustic room treatment applied.
2) Those combining processing with acoustic room treatment.
3) Those using acoustic room treatment only with NO processing, digital or otherwise.

After getting a quick feel of what this software does, my sense is if your in either of the first two categories, it could be helpful. But for a guy like me who doesnt use AVR's, doesnt use or have any processing, is running a 2.3 setup (two channels plus 3 subs) and has already solved most of the typical room problems acoustically, I dont see the benefit.

Still, for those of you in the first two categories, I can see where this software gives some new tools and insight.

Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)

Last edited by jim19611961; 08-17-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #10993 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
^
It appears you use it correctly. But, what was measured from where?
Good to hear - thanks!

I have two Power Sound Audio XV15se subs that are placed in built in cabinets directly behind the Salk Veracity ST's. Mic was placed at MLP which is in the center of the couch. I am taking measurements to find the better of two possible locations for the subs.

Sadly, I have a huge open living room with 19' cathedral ceilings, a fireplace, a mantle, and a lot of windows....it's the only option in our house for a sound system. My other option for the subs is to place them where the end tables are currently located (with lamps on top of them). I previously had the subs in that location and I'll plan to get measurements from there next. My wife really wants them in the built in cabinets, but I don't see it happening.

post #10994 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

^
Reverberation in your room is very high. Only absorbers can fix that. Speakers with high directivity would mitigate the problem though.
There's a huge hole around 30Hz and 80Hz (crossover region?) which needs to be fixed. Moving subs should help.
Not much energy above 9kHz.
Generally you would benefit from EQ.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #10995 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
^
Reverberation in your room is very high. Only absorbers can fix that. Speakers with high directivity would mitigate the problem though.
There's a huge hole around 30Hz and 80Hz (crossover region?) which needs to be fixed. Moving subs should help.
Not much energy above 9kHz.
Generally you would benefit from EQ.
Crossover is at 80. Should I play around with this?

This is just the start of my escapade. If the subs are better in the other location (they should be), I will build custom sub enclosures based on 15" ported Rythmik kits. I think they will sound better and the custom enclosures (already designed) will up the WAF situation. Once they are up and running, I will EQ the subs with Mini DSP 2 x 4 and then figure out what I can do to the room with acoustical panels etc. I wonder if getting an AVR with XT32 would help? I see a lot of research in my future in regard to room EQ.

I already have the mini dsp, I will probably integrate that into the the current system to see how much it will fix.

Currently, the bass seems to be very concentrated in the foyer area. It did the same thing before I got the subs.
post #10996 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

^
You can't get the subs right over a large area. Concentrate on the main listening position. Experiment with different sub locations.
Measurement 4 looks ok but needs EQ.
Try inverting both subs and check if the hole around 80Hz goes away.

Markus

post #10997 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think that I finally got a good measurement (well maybe - you tell me). https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...binets%20.mdat

Any chance that somebody could look at this and verify that everything was done correctly? I know the FR and waterfalls look pretty bad, and I'll worry about that later, but at this point I'd like to know if it *appears* that I'm using REW correctly. Once I know that I've tested everything correctly, I will start moving the subs around the room and compare the measurements. This set of measurements had the subs placed inside built in cabinets....a big no-no....and I'm hoping the results are better when they are placed elsewhere.

Prior to the test, I did the following:
Calibrated the Umik with the Mini DSP txt file.
Subs were level matched with pink noise - sub gain was appx 2:00
Ran audyssey - subs were set at -9 and I didn't change this level. Test tones and pink noise had identical dB from mains and subs - checked this with and w/o aud and the dB levels were consistent.
Checked level matching again after running aud - looked fine.
Adjusted AVR level to -10 so spkr cal pink noise was at 90dB for mains and sub cal was 90dB for the subs.

I used the RCA cables / Java method since my HDMI wouldn't work. Both L and R cables were plugged in. Mains were only turned on for the last two measurements to get to get waterfall measurements.

I'm using a Marantz SR7005 with Aud XT.

I ran out of headroom on the last two tests and had to adjust the AVR to -15. All other tests were done at -10....as noted in each test.

Thanks in advance!
On the positive side, your REW measurement technique looks OK. Please remember to label each measurement with something descriptive. Just looking at the MDAT file, there is no way to understand what each measurement represents. For example, what is the difference among the first five measurements? I assume these are subs only, but are they one sub at a time, or both subs? Is Audyssey on or off?

To be completely honest, the bass is not very good with the subs in their current positions. Measure the other two potential spots, publish the measurements, and let's see if one placement is significantly better than the other placements. And label your measurements! And IMO, if you build an enclosure for the subs in one of the other spots, you are making things worse again. Your subs are ported, and enclosing a ported sub in a closed box is not a good idea.

As Markus says, you may be able to improve the frequency response by a different placement, but the bass ringing (measured by the waterfall or the spectrogram), which is not very good, would require bass treatments to make it better. If you have WAF issues with placement, wait until you ask her if you can hang some treatments on the wall! Take a look at the pictures in the "My Setup" link in my signature. As Markus has said, my listening room looks like a sound studio. Then I am a single guy, so WAF plays no role.

As long as you place both subs equidistant from the MLP, you wont get a significant improvement upgrading to Audyssey MultEQ XT32. For equidistant subs, MultEQ XT is perfectly fine. I would experiment with generating filters for the MiniDSP using the REQ EQ tool. However, remember that EQ is more effective in taming peaks, and is not very helpful at all if you have deep nulls (which you have).

Good luck, and report progress.

post #10998 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
On the positive side, your REW measurement technique looks OK. Please remember to label each measurement with something descriptive. Just looking at the MDAT file, there is no way to understand what each measurement represents. For example, what is the difference among the first five measurements? I assume these are subs only, but are they one sub at a time, or both subs? Is Audyssey on or off?

To be completely honest, the bass is not very good with the subs in their current positions. Measure the other two potential spots, publish the measurements, and let's see if one placement is significantly better than the other placements. And label your measurements! And IMO, if you build an enclosure for the subs in one of the other spots, you are making things worse again. Your subs are ported, and enclosing a ported sub in a closed box is not a good idea.

As Markus says, you may be able to improve the frequency response by a different placement, but the bass ringing (measured by the waterfall or the spectrogram), which is not very good, would require bass treatments to make it better. If you have WAF issues with placement, wait until you ask her if you can hang some treatments on the wall! Take a look at the pictures in the "My Setup" link in my signature. As Markus has said, my listening room looks like a sound studio. Then I am a single guy, so WAF plays no role.

As long as you place both subs equidistant from the MLP, you wont get a significant improvement upgrading to Audyssey MultEQ XT32. For equidistant subs, MultEQ XT is perfectly fine. I would experiment with generating filters for the MiniDSP using the REQ EQ tool. However, remember that EQ is more effective in taming peaks, and is not very helpful at all if you have deep nulls (which you have).

Good luck, and report progress.
Thanks again AustinJerry and Markus - you both have been a great help.

I labeled each measurement but I'm guessing I didn't enter the text in the correct spot. If you click on the measurement on the left side of the REW screen, you can see the text. I just figured out where it should go and I'll do it correctly the next time.

I may have confused you with my future sub build comments. If the FR graph looks better with the subs outside of the built in cabinets (it better), I will be sending the current subs back to the manufacturer based on their 30 day trial period. I will buy a ported Rythmik kit and build a custom ported enclosure. Brian at Rythmik has approved my enclosure design, so I'm good to go.

In regards to acoustic panels, I will definitely run the options by my wife before making a decision since she is very critical about the aesthetics of our family room. She thinks I'm crazy and obsessed, but on the plus side, she likes loud music. After the subs are done, in their correct spots, and EQ'd, I will send some FR graphs to GIK and/or other companies to get their opinions on what I need and where I need to place it.

Thanks again
post #10999 of 11661 Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may have confused you with my future sub build comments. If the FR graph looks better with the subs outside of the built in cabinets (it better), I will be sending the current subs back to the manufacturer based on their 30 day trial period. I will buy a ported Rythmik kit and build a custom ported enclosure. Brian at Rythmik has approved my enclosure design, so I'm good to go.
So the custom ported enclosures will look better than the current sub cabinets? You must be quite a cabinet maker! Looking forward to before/after pictures.

post #11000 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Hey Zee Man, it's not clear since it's not in the pic, but is that a wall or just some sort of seperator behind your couch?

If it's a wall, I'd say place both subs behind the couch. That would surely get you a better response than the 2 other options, plus they would be hidden from view!
post #11001 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I labeled each measurement but I'm guessing I didn't enter the text in the correct spot. If you click on the measurement on the left side of the REW screen, you can see the text. I just figured out where it should go and I'll do it correctly the next time.
I see where you labeled the measurements now. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes it a bit easier if you put a few words where the date is currently displayed. Either way is fine, as long as the measurements are labeled.

Now that I know what each measurement represents, it is a very clear proof of what I said earlier--equalization can't correct deep nulls. Audyssey barely touched those deep dips. Placement is the only chance you have of fixing those two issues.

BTW, I like the suggestion of trying a placement behind the couch, or perhaps at each end of the couch as end tables. Of course, cabling is going to be a challenge, but you can place them there temporarily, long enough to measure. If those are viable positions, you might want to look at a wireless adapter to avoid the cabling issue. So many choices, when you thought the choices were limited!

post #11002 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Of course, cabling is going to be a challenge,
Has anyone here tried the wireless subwoofer solutions like that offered by Outlaw Audio?
post #11003 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
So the custom ported enclosures will look better than the current sub cabinets? You must be quite a cabinet maker! Looking forward to before/after pictures.
Well, I'm not a cabinet maker but I should be able to get by. If all goes well, the enclosures won't resemble subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hey Zee Man, it's not clear since it's not in the pic, but is that a wall or just some sort of seperator behind your couch?

If it's a wall, I'd say place both subs behind the couch. That would surely get you a better response than the 2 other options, plus they would be hidden from view!
It's a wall that separates the foyer from the living room. I tried a sub behind the couch today, see my comments below. FYI - all of the bass seems to be concentrated in the foyer. If you walk through there with music playing, it's pretty shocking. Does this mean it would be a good location for bass traps?

Quote:
I see where you labeled the measurements now. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes it a bit easier if you put a few words where the date is currently displayed. Either way is fine, as long as the measurements are labeled.

Now that I know what each measurement represents, it is a very clear proof of what I said earlier--equalization can't correct deep nulls. Audyssey barely touched those deep dips. Placement is the only chance you have of fixing those two issues.

BTW, I like the suggestion of trying a placement behind the couch, or perhaps at each end of the couch as end tables. Of course, cabling is going to be a challenge, but you can place them there temporarily, long enough to measure. If those are viable positions, you might want to look at a wireless adapter to avoid the cabling issue. So many choices, when you thought the choices were limited!
I tried one sub behind the couch (combined with one sub in front of the room), and then placed a sub on each end of the couch. The FR graph was good with the latter, but I just didn't like them being so close. As I was testing these new locations (after rearranging every piece of furniture in the room), my wife walked in, laughed, and said "that's never going to happen". Oh well, both subs are back up front now.

I've taken a lot of measurements since my first test and I am glad to say the FR graphs look much better with the subs out of the built in cabinets. The charts are not great, but better. I'm still tinkering and moving.

Will acoustic panels fix nulls?
post #11004 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really. What makes a null less severe is placing a sub in the center of the null. With an irregularly-shaped room like yours, finding where to place the sub is the issue.

If you took additional measurements, are you going to share them? Also post the MDAT file.

post #11005 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depends on the nature of the null. I have used combinations of redirection and absorption to fix nulls successfully, but mainly those above 150hz. Those below 100hz especially I would rely more on what Jerry said (I.E. Sub placement).

Last edited by jim19611961; 08-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #11006 of 11661 Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's a wall that separates the foyer from the living room. I tried a sub behind the couch today, see my comments below. FYI - all of the bass seems to be concentrated in the foyer. If you walk through there with music playing, it's pretty shocking. Does this mean it would be a good location for bass traps?
Did you re-run Audyssey? Did you adjust the phase on the rear sub for max SPL at the MLP? If not, that could explain the strangeness you experienced with the sub behind the couch.
post #11007 of 11661 Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 PM
JW6

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Holy mother of god this thread has exploded since last messing with REW (i.e., external sound cards, cables everywhere, etc.. Could there be one mic to rule them all? Is there a consensus on what mic to get after all these years? Sorry, but I have actually been up tonight reading this thread. Is the cross spectrum Dayton UMM-6 USB Mic the bench mark? Was a little confused as there appears to be some limitations with distance measurements, etc.?? Thanks.
post #11008 of 11661 Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

A good starting place to get up to speed would be the REW Guide, which is linked in my sig. It explains mics, HDMI connections, etc.

post #11009 of 11661 Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need help I followed your steps for setting up REW with umik-1 mic, but I'm having a problem. The final step were you record a few words and play back the recording. I get sound from my computer speakers and not from my speakers. Also when I go to step 5 for REW mic calibration I keep getting sound card did not provide any input data check connection. I got my 3.5 mm stereo y-cable connected to the front aux input on my 4311ci. I"m a newbie at this so take it easy.

Last edited by jsil; 08-20-2014 at 12:23 AM.
post #11010 of 11661 Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, basic questions, but have to be asked.

Did you select the AUX input on your AVR? Do you have the master volume up on your AVR? Did you hear anything when you ran the mic calibration?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page