Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 389 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #11641 of 11647 Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
Output on HDMI4 should be 10dB higher than output on HDMI1. The LFE output is 10dB hotter.
That's weird as I've never shown a 10db change when switching between output 1/2/3 and 4. I'll have to go back and double check that.

I assumed they would have accounted for that in the programming to keep all sweeps at the same SPL to make comparisons easier between the sub/mains and both.

Quote:
I've found something similar happens to me from time to time, although nut just when I'm running sweeps on the subs. I've found that if I go to preferences and change the output channel, and then click on measure, it does some sort of a reset. I don't even have to run a sweep, but going into the measurement dialog is necessary. I can then change it back to my original HDMI channel, and no issues. Hopefully that saves you a bit of time from unplugging and recalibrating needlessly.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 11647 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 733
The occasional output of a distorted test tone is a known issue. I have reported it on HTS, but have never received a satisfactory explanation. I do what Bluescale does--switch outputs. This usually resets the test signal to normal. Very annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11643 of 11647 Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What you say is true, Alan. However, the point of my post was to show that applying Audyssey correction is not nearly as bad as your words imply. I did not see anything really disturbing, nor did I see evidence that Audyssey was over-boosting.

"If you want to see something really disturbing check out your distortion graph, particularly those areas where Audyssey is over-boosting."

Probably badly worded. I should have said "If you want to see something really disturbing check out your distortion graph, particularly those areas where Audyssey is over-boosting any nulls."

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #11644 of 11647 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
That's weird as I've never shown a 10db change when switching between output 1/2/3 and 4. I'll have to go back and double check that.
There's nothing to account for, as LFE is supposed to be 10dB hotter than redirected bass. Only when you're doing sweeps is the LFE signal the same as the redirected signal. This was recently explained to me as I was trying to measure an evaluate my new processor. I thought the problem was with the processor. Instead, it was with the user .

My point in mentioning this is that if HDMI1 output is identical to HDMI4 (in output SPL), then something is off somewhere.
Alan P likes this.
post #11645 of 11647 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
There's nothing to account for, as LFE is supposed to be 10dB hotter than redirected bass. Only when you're doing sweeps is the LFE signal the same as the redirected signal. This was recently explained to me as I was trying to measure an evaluate my new processor. I thought the problem was with the processor. Instead, it was with the user .

My point in mentioning this is that if HDMI1 output is identical to HDMI4 (in output SPL), then something is off somewhere.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if I read you correctly; you are stating that the LFE signal is the same as the redirected when doing sweeps. If that's the case, then the 1 and 4 output should be identical in SPL. Or am I reading this wrong?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #11646 of 11647 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if I read you correctly; you are stating that the LFE signal is the same as the redirected when doing sweeps. If that's the case, then the 1 and 4 output should be identical in SPL. Or am I reading this wrong?
The LFE sweep *should* look the same (although for some reason, in your case it doesn't), but 10dB SPL higher. If everything is working the way it should, if you run a sweep of HDMI1 with all speakers by the subs turned off, and then run a sweep of HDMI4, the curve should look the same, but the output will be 10dB different.

Are you running separates? If so, and if your soundcard has stereo inputs, it would be fairly easy to measure the actual signal coming from your processor to see if something weird is happening there, of it's purely an in-room response issue.
post #11647 of 11647 Old Today, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
This is because your subs are out of phase, by reducing the level on the one sub you are reducing the amount of cancellation to the other sub.

You need to get your subs in phase with each other before making any decisions. While playing pink noise, adjust the distance of the closer sub one foot at a time (try both directions) until you get the highest SPL at the MLP. This is much easier and accurate using REWs RTA function.
Thanks for suggestion ALAN. Today i was playing again and this time i set the distance of the closer sub (sb13 ultra) from 4,38m to 0,28 and i got rid of the dip in the 20-30 hz and got i nice boost...but the null have travelend along the path to the higher freq but i actually prefer the measurement as it looks now...this are the measurements with both front and subs playing (only audyssey engaged, no dynEQ) i guess that because the crossover is set at 80hz for all the speakers the graph would not look much different with all the speakers playing? The blue trace is the new audyssey measurement i took today, the yellow is the manipulated SW2 (sb13 ultra) distance and the red is the graph how it all looked before i run audyssey again and i set the PEQ 1 of the ultra at -8 level so i got rid of the null in the 20-30hz range...i think i like it now as far as the sub sound goes sure they shake far better than before but i also now that i have nuls...i now the measurement was taken with built in mic but i think it is still beter than what audyssey have done.any suggestions are welcome thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rew.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	264978  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page