Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 391 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #11701 of 11711 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjazdk View Post
The cal file is irrelevant since I am looking for the relative difference between 0 and 90 degrees.
What is interesting is how much the room contributes compared to the direct sound from the speakers.
What I meant was that I used the same cal file for both orientations, and therefore the difference I saw was accurate. If I had used a different cal file for each, then they would not. That is the relevance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11711 Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjazdk View Post
The cal file is irrelevant since I am looking for the relative difference between 0 and 90 degrees.
What is interesting is how much the room contributes compared to the direct sound from the speakers.
Is there a question there? Did you look at the analysis here: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

post #11703 of 11711 Old Today, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Asio set up issue

Jerry,
Thanks for the excellent guide. I am brand new to this REW thing, very cool by the way.
Asio is not outputting a generator signal, I have tried the trouble shooting tips in the quide. Have any other tricks I could try?
A Java set up works for me, I'm not smart enough to change speakers with it though.
Could you recommend any links / posts. I apologise in advance for any thing stupid or easy I missing.
US newby's gotta get annoying busting into some very interesting discussion on this form.

Last edited by Marv Bagg; Today at 11:24 AM. Reason: can't spell.
post #11704 of 11711 Old Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Marv, thanks for the kind words. Regarding getting a stubborn ASIO driver to work properly, I don't have any suggestions other than what is in the Guide. Uninstall, re-install, re-boot, pray to the Gods. It is beta software, with little or no support. What is your laptop configuration--HDMI? Windows, and what version?

If the Java driver works, then you can be completely functional. The Guide explains how to select the left, right, left+right, and center speakers by simply altering the Y-cable connection to the AVR. Give it a try, and don't be reluctant to ask questions here.

post #11705 of 11711 Old Today, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Hi Marv, thanks for the kind words. Regarding getting a stubborn ASIO driver to work properly, I don't have any suggestions other than what is in the Guide. Uninstall, re-install, re-boot, pray to the Gods. It is beta software, with little or no support. What is your laptop configuration--HDMI? Windows, and what version?

If the Java driver works, then you can be completely functional. The Guide explains how to select the left, right, left+right, and center speakers by simply altering the Y-cable connection to the AVR. Give it a try, and don't be reluctant to ask questions here.

HI Jerry,
I will do the re install ADIO thing next.
I am using a windows 7 and HDMI connection. Is it possible to run Java on an HDMI set up?
post #11706 of 11711 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No, with the Java driver, you would use a 3.5mm stereo cable from the headphone output Jack into the front-panel AUX IN RCA jacks on the AVR. It is explained in the Guide.

post #11707 of 11711 Old Today, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
No, with the Java driver, you would use a 3.5mm stereo cable from the headphone output Jack into the front-panel AUX IN RCA jacks on the AVR. It is explained in the Guide.

Thanks Jerry, pretty much what I thought. Back to the drawing board then.
post #11708 of 11711 Old Today, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Semi-quick question for the REW experts:

I notice from reading on the mini-DSP site that REW has the ability to output an automatic equalization for the sub. Since I have a Yamaha receiver with an admittedly limited PEQ, could I not use the suggested adjustments made by REW to manually adjust my subwoofer EQ? Obviously I won't be able to export the settings and import them into the Yamaha PEQ, but I'm thinking I should be able to note the suggested settings and make them manually in the PEQ.

Thoughts?

Mike
post #11709 of 11711 Old Today, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post

I notice from reading on the mini-DSP site that REW has the ability to output an automatic equalization for the sub. Since I have a Yamaha receiver with an admittedly limited PEQ, could I not use the suggested adjustments made by REW to manually adjust my subwoofer EQ? Obviously I won't be able to export the settings and import them into the Yamaha PEQ, but I'm thinking I should be able to note the suggested settings and make them manually in the PEQ.

Thoughts?

Mike
Yes you can. Just use the generic EQ setting in REW. That what I do with the XMC-1 which has a robust PEQ.
mjmcmahon67 likes this.
post #11710 of 11711 Old Today, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
Yes you can. Just use the generic EQ setting in REW. That what I do with the XMC-1 which has a robust PEQ.
Many thanks Bluescale!
post #11711 of 11711 Old Today, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post

Thoughts?

Mike
I purchased a MiniDSP to experiment with the REW automated EQ capability. It actually works quite well, and is easy to learn. I encourage you to try it. If you are using REW to measure your system, we would be interested in seeing your before and after measurements here. Good luck!

Edit: I also use Audyssey XT32 to calibrate my four subs. After quite a bit of experimentation, I decided the best approach for using the MiniDSP was to apply correction after Audyssey, rather than before it. So, I took my post-calibration bass measurements and fed them to the REW EQ tool, and REW said no filters were created, i.e. no additional correction was required! That made me feel good, and I now have a MiniDSP sitting unused on the shelf.

Last edited by AustinJerry; Today at 05:00 PM.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page