Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 396 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 159Likes

post #11851 of 11859 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
Sigh -

well, I may have jumped the gun here - after reviewing the sweeps I did during the testing, especially considering the difference in the output levels for my REW response curves, I'm guessing that I changed the AV volume prior to my first sub test, but after I'd checked the center channel. I'll see if I can get enough quiet time in the house to do another test later this week and make sure my setup is consistent. Planned settings are:

Select HDMI Ch. 3 ONLY, switching off or unplugging where necessary for testing
Set AV receiver to 'Straight' (which disables any processing)

One question: I thought I read somewhere that there was some discussion about whether Audyssey (in my case YPAO) should be enabled, particularly if you're planning on USING it during your normal listening sessions. I'll undoubtedly be using YPAO - should I leave it enabled, or shut it off?

Please let me know if you see anything else I've missed - I'm a bit confused at this point.

Thx,

Mike
Mike, if your objective is to measure the bass response in the room, YPAO should be turned on. If you are going through the sub distance tweak, YPAO should be on. The only time YPAO should be off is if you are experimenting with different sub placement options, because as soon as you move the sub or a speaker, the current YPAO calibration is no longer valid. Make sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 11859 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Well, whether you measured 15-200 or 15-300 is not an issue. What had me concerned is that you gave us the impression that you had not properly calibrated the mic. And then you asked if there was a step-by-step guide, a question that did not make much sense if you had been using the guide.

Not to worry, just ask questions here as they arise.
In retrospect, I believe the area that I overlooked and got confused about was the SPL meter calibration, not the mic calibration. After reviewing your documentation, it reminded me of the error message and the fact it was no longer necessary.
post #11853 of 11859 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Mike, if your objective is to measure the bass response in the room, YPAO should be turned on. If you are going through the sub distance tweak, YPAO should be on. The only time YPAO should be off is if you are experimenting with different sub placement options, because as soon as you move the sub or a speaker, the current YPAO calibration is no longer valid. Make sense?
Perfectly clear, thanks Jerry
post #11854 of 11859 Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
In retrospect, I believe the area that I overlooked and got confused about was the SPL meter calibration, not the mic calibration. After reviewing your documentation, it reminded me of the error message and the fact it was no longer necessary.
Mike,

Mark Seaton (who helped come up with the sub distance tweak idea) made some recommendations in post number 11,798 here: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

I'm trying to understand his write-up and see what needs to be done. If moving the subs around is a pain, Bluescale placed the sub at the MLP (believe the driver was near ear height?) then move the mic to various locations and carried out measurements. Based on the measured results, Bluescale placed the sub in the best location. I think this is a much better way to determine where the optimum position of the sub should be. Takes care of steps 1 to 3 in Mark's post.

Having the sub in the right location before applying EQ seems to be the way to go (step 6 and 7 in Mark's post) - I did it the other way around and wondering why the response wasn't what I'm expecting. The sub location was mainly set due to WAF, but in the back of my mind, I'm wanting to know where the best location of the sub should be?

The other thing when engaging YPAO with the sub distance tweak, what other YPAO settings need to be engaged/dis-engaged? There are settings for tone control, YPAO volume, adaptive DRC, Extra Bass as well as various surround modes. Sorry, I don't know much about YPAO and thinking how does these setting affect the measurements.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #11855 of 11859 Old Today, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
If moving the subs around is a pain, Bluescale placed the sub at the MLP (believe the driver was near ear height?) then move the mic to various locations and carried out measurements.
The sub needed to be at ear height, and the mic needed to be at driver height. One of the reasons I'd avoided doing this previously (other than the fact that I didn't want to pick up 100lb sub and put it in my chair) is because it's a downward firing sub, and I thought the driver would need to fire downward. Markus confirmed that the orientation of the driver didn't matter too much, the height was the biggest concern). The end results show this to be true.
post #11856 of 11859 Old Today, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I had the chance to measure today at a much higher level to evaluate what it looks like further about the noise floor:

Frequency Response:

Waterfall:

Spectro:

Obviously, at the higher SPL it's not quite as pretty a waterfall, but I'm pretty happy with it overall. Any thoughts, or anything else I need to look at?

I did some quick checks to verify the crossover was set correctly, and things look pretty good. I'll spend some time over the next few days making sure it blends seamlessly with the rest of my speakers.
post #11857 of 11859 Old Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

FR looks very good. The waterfall and spectrogram should be taken with subs+center, or subs+left+right, because the mains may add bass resonance.

Seeing a measurement with the mains as well would be interesting, because it would reveal how well the splice at the crossover is, which is important.

post #11858 of 11859 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
FR looks very good.
Oh, come on. After all that work, I think he deserves a tremendous round of applause.
It looks GREAT.

Okay, now get back to work.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #11859 of 11859 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Oh, come on. After all that work, I think he deserves a tremendous round of applause.
It looks GREAT.

Okay, now get back to work.
I am withholding superlatives until we see how Dirac affects the overall response...

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page