Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 402 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 185Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12031 of 12042 Old Today, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
bloodta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Graphs look really good with both subs and Audyessy engaged, but the really question is how does it sound to you? Have you have a chance to do any extensive testing (ie watching movies etc)?
I'm the kind of guy who doesn't want to feel as though I'm missing something. I think it sounds great, I just want it to be dialed in.
bloodta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12032 of 12042 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
I'm the kind of guy who doesn't want to feel as though I'm missing something. I think it sounds great, I just want it to be dialed in.
Personally, I would be concerned with the 15-20dB rise as the curve approaches 20Hz. If this is an intentional house curve, then that is fine. Otherwise, I would be working to flatten it out. Perhaps you can post a waterfall graph to see how the rising low frequency response affects bass ringing. Also, an ETC graph would allow us to see how well you have controlled room reflections.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #12033 of 12042 Old Today, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Personally, I would be concerned with the 15-20dB rise as the curve approaches 20Hz. If this is an intentional house curve, then that is fine. Otherwise, I would be working to flatten it out. Perhaps you can post a waterfall graph to see how the rising low frequency response affects bass ringing. Also, an ETC graph would allow us to see how well you have controlled room reflections.
Guys, excuse my ignorance but I'm really new to REW, I opened the program today and upon opening it said a newer version is available, version V5.01 Beta 23, it mentions inprovements in certain areas and certain bug fixes especially the 6dB down with calibration mic, since Jerry said that if an SPL meter is used with the calibration of the mic this 6dB down would not have an effect. So should I update to this current version, is this the version all are using? Also can you give me a link (I'm not there yet) with the adapter needed to take the pre-out measurements after connecting a RCA cable to the pre-out I want to measure, I know I'm way ahead of myself but want to have everything I need. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
ahblaza is offline  
post #12034 of 12042 Old Today, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Yes, generally you should always upgrade to the latest version of REW. I don't know which cable/adapter you are talking about, but Pre-out measurements are an advanced topic, and only used in very special situations. You should focus on walking before you try to run.
ahblaza likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #12035 of 12042 Old Today, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
bloodta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Personally, I would be concerned with the 15-20dB rise as the curve approaches 20Hz. If this is an intentional house curve, then that is fine. Otherwise, I would be working to flatten it out. Perhaps you can post a waterfall graph to see how the rising low frequency response affects bass ringing. Also, an ETC graph would allow us to see how well you have controlled room reflections.
How should I set the graph limits for the ETC graph?
bloodta is offline  
post #12036 of 12042 Old Today, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
How should I set the graph limits for the ETC graph?
The guidelines for each type of REW graph are in the guide.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #12037 of 12042 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
bloodta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The guidelines for each type of REW graph are in the guide.
Not sure about this ETC graph, is it correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	etcgraph.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	325458  
bloodta is offline  
post #12038 of 12042 Old Today, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
Not sure about this ETC graph, is it correct?
Did you follow the guide, p. 76? What you are presenting isn't even close to the example shown in the guide, and cannot be interpreted as shown.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #12039 of 12042 Old Today, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
bloodta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Did you follow the guide, p. 76? What you are presenting isn't even close to the example shown in the guide, and cannot be interpreted as shown.
To be honest, I'm not seeing anything about an ETC graph on page 76. I was looking at post #2 on page 1.
bloodta is offline  
post #12040 of 12042 Old Today, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
To be honest, I'm not seeing anything about an ETC graph on page 76. I was looking at post #2 on page 1.
I am not understanding. Have you actually looked at the guide? It is linked in my sig.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #12041 of 12042 Old Today, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
bloodta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am not understanding. Have you actually looked at the guide? It is linked in my sig.
Im very sorry, its been a long day, I just downloaded it and see exactly what you're saying. Great guide by the way, that'll come in very handy. Thanks
bloodta is offline  
post #12042 of 12042 Old Today, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
Im very sorry, its been a long day, I just downloaded it and see exactly what you're saying. Great guide by the way, that'll come in very handy. Thanks
OK, we are on track now. Please don't be reluctant to ask questions.
AustinJerry is online now  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off