Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 446 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 320Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #13351 of 13365 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,571
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Apparently.

When the subs are set to 75db they just don't satisfy like they do at 80-81db. I know I'm not alone.

I see folks on here saying that they are running their subs "3db hot" or "6db hot", I was just wondering how they know how hot they are running. Because by one method I'm ~10db hot, by another I'm onyl ~5db hot that is all.
Wouldn't a measurement show how hot the sub is running?
AustinJerry is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13352 of 13365 Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 3,606
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Jerry,

Well, that goes back to my OP (linked below)....I get seemingly differing results from a sweep than I do with Pink Noise and REWs SPL logger. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it sounds good to me.

Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs
F.Cook likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #13353 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 152
^^ you have to measure with -3dbsf in rew in order to have the correct absolute db. With this -3dbsf measurement at -30MV, your subs only (at Aud set level) should be along the 85db line, your speaker only should be along the 75db line. I always check these after running Aud and always find subs set -2db lower by Aud. Perhaps, Jerry should add the -3dbsf part to the guide if one wants to know the absolute db numbers. The default by REW is -12dbsf IIRC.

Last edited by tvuong; Yesterday at 03:49 PM.
tvuong is online now  
post #13354 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 3,606
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Ahhh, thanks tvuong. That makes sense.

That sweep above was done at -23dbsf and 0MV. When you say:

Quote:
your subs only (at Aud set level) should be along the 85db line
I'm assuming that be using the LFE output of REW (CH4), correct?

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #13355 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 152
^^ yes sir, correct.
tvuong is online now  
post #13356 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 3,606
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Sweet, gonna do some more sweeps tonight!


How bad is it I get excited when I have a REW project to do??
ahblaza likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #13357 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 152
^^ running compression sweeps with -3dbsf will let you know the true highest db your subs can play before compression. Have fun.
tvuong is online now  
post #13358 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,571
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ you have to measure with -3dbsf in rew in order to have the correct absolute db. With this -3dbsf measurement at -30MV, your subs only (at Aud set level) should be along the 85db line, your speaker only should be along the 75db line. I always check these after running Aud and always find subs set -2db lower by Aud. Perhaps, Jerry should add the -3dbsf part to the guide if one wants to know the absolute db numbers. The default by REW is -12dbsf IIRC.
I disagree. Read the Guide section titled "Using REW to Set and Measure Speaker Levels" starting on p. 95. After reading that section, we can discuss if you disagree with the procedure.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #13359 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
In any room the number of modes increases with frequency:

Markus,

A little confused by your graph. I was referring to the axial room modes determine by Harmon calculator here: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...ID=Calculators

Is our graph counting all the axial, tangential and oblique room modes + their harmonics going up to infinity? Thought above 500Hz, broadband absorbers such OC703 are quite effective.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #13360 of 13365 Unread Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Audionut11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
A little confused by your graph. I was referring to the axial room modes
The room modes do increase with frequency as per the graph Markus posted. But it is this increase in modes that negates their effect.
A room mode enforces SPL at the frequency of the mode. So if we have modes at every hz between 20-80hz, we don't really have a problem, because every hz has the same level. And this is what happens at higher frequencies, there are so many modes packed so close together.

This is different to an reflection, which at high frequencies (as you note), can be easily fixed. At frequencies below 200hz, not so easily (when one considers WAF etc).
Audionut11 is offline  
post #13361 of 13365 Unread Today, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Is our graph counting all the axial, tangential and oblique room modes + their harmonics going up to infinity? Thought above 500Hz, broadband absorbers such OC703 are quite effective.
The graph shows all modes.
From 80Hz to 500Hz it's a long way

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #13362 of 13365 Unread Today, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
The graph shows all modes.
From 80Hz to 500Hz it's a long way
All our problems would be solved if we had infinite modes all the way down to 5Hz.
artur9 is online now  
post #13363 of 13365 Unread Today, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 488
^
Use headphones

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #13364 of 13365 Unread Today, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
^
Use headphones
But...but... then how do I use my mad REW skillz?

I don't like headphones in any case. I feel like my head is in a vise. And IEMs and earbuds are really uncomfortable. I only really use them if I'm desperate.
artur9 is online now  
post #13365 of 13365 Unread Today, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 488
^
Yes, a couple of fundamental things would have to change (like individual HRTFs, spatial signal processing, etc.) before headphones can declare victory over speaker.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off