Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 460 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 354Likes

post #13771 of 13777 Old Today, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I've run separate L, C and R sweeps for my Fusion 8 Alchemies. As expected, their response is fairly similar. However, when I run them all together (I know, not one of the suggested sweeps, so I'll accept "Don't do that" as a valid reply), I get some additive, as expected, and some not. Not an ideal room by any means, but I would think the summed response would be more similar to the individual sweeps.
Or not?
Now I thought at some point I saw you had said you reversed the polarity of the entire center channel, is this true? If not ignore as I may have been mistaken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 13777 Old Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Keep in mind that what I posted was the pre-out measurements. If I had posted a measurement of the pre-outs with Audyssey off, you would have seen a smooth line, because pre-out measurements have no room effects. So I claim that the measurement I posted answers your question exactly WRT how much correction Audyssey XT32 applies above 300Hz. The only better answer would be to actually measure YOUR in-room response with XT32 on and off, something I cannot do.

BTW, if you want to control correction above a specific frequency, then you should consider Dirac Live as implemented in the very affordable MiniDSP DDRC-88A. Read through the 88A to familiarize yourself with this product if you have not already done so.
Thanks Jerry! Actually, I just came back to this computer to apologize, I just figured out downstairs what you meant by posting preamp output measurements...

Edit: yes, I have been following the 88A thread. I am on the fence, about that and just what I want. Was/am considering the 7702/8802, but then thought: no room for more amps in my HT room if I want to try Atmos (I do have several spare Bryston amps I could use for ceiling speakers), so maybe I need a better AVR for use as a pre-pro + 2-4 of its amps instead...that would fit OK. Do I want Atmos speakers/amps then, or do I just want to use its apparently better decoder? If I do need more channels (I find it deceiving that many Atmos proponents say it doesn't use "channels" since it's object-based!), do I want to Dirac them? etc. etc. It doesn't help that this is a bad year for audio tech, reminds me of 2010 in some ways and the half-assed audio crappage they released that model year (MY 2011 was much better): too many unresolved A/V (4K/HDMI/HDCP) things that are to be resolved shortly, there really is nothing much important that's new right now, that's why they did the Atmos this "year" (late 2014-15), else they'd have nothing to sell).

Last edited by cfraser; Today at 01:09 PM.
post #13773 of 13777 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
Thanks Jerry! Actually, I just came back to this computer to apologize, I just figured out downstairs what you meant by posting preamp output measurements...

Edit: yes, I have been following the 88A thread. I am on the fence, about that and just what I want. Was/am considering the 7702/8802, but then thought: no room for more amps in my HT room if I want to try Atmos (I have several spare Bryston amps), so maybe I need a better AVR for use as a pre-pro + 2-4 of its amps instead...that would fit OK. Do I want Atmos speakers/amps then, or do I just want to use its apparently better decoder? If I do need more channels (I find it deceiving that many Atmos proponents say it doesn't use "channels" since it's object-based!), do I want to Dirac them? etc. etc. It doesn't help that this is a bad year for audio tech, reminds me of 2010 in some ways and the half-assed audio crappage they released that model year (MY 2011 was much better): too many unre4solved A/V things that are to be resolved shortly, there really is nothing much important that's new right now, that's why they did the Atmos this year, else they'd have nothing to sell).
So many decisions to make. Good luck!
post #13774 of 13777 Old Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Now I thought at some point I saw you had said you reversed the polarity of the entire center channel, is this true? If not ignore as I may have been mistaken.
AFAIK, the polarity of everything is okay now. My next step, which I'm not eager to take, is to measure the response of each driver individually. According to Jeff, "I selected the Eminence Beta-8 woofer due to its high sensitivity and very linear response and was surprised at the exceptional midrange quality of this driver." I'm getting anything but a "very linear response," and I'm not about to rule out the possibility that I've done something wrong. Though the thought of rebuilding the damn things appeals to me about as much as poking an eye out.
I was hoping someone looking at the graphs would see something with a relatively easy solution. But I knew the odds of that!
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...=bd9+demo+disc

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #13775 of 13777 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I don't see anything wrong with the individual speaker measurements. Just for kicks try reversing the input wires on the center channel and measure all three again.
post #13776 of 13777 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Jerry: Sorry, I was typing my response above while talking on the phone, so it's a bit disjointed...

Yes, so many very very very important decisions that my life depends on. If I have to "make room" for more gear, and that would be a lot of difficult work, I want to do it in a longer-term and worthwhile way, rather than scatter-shot. I just don't have floor room to spare for any more racks, and the existing ones are already way over my head so I need step-stools to reach stuff lol (multiple systems in room).
post #13777 of 13777 Old Today, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the individual speaker measurements. Just for kicks try reversing the input wires on the center channel and measure all three again.
Next week. Life is getting in the way for a few days. I'll let you know.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...=bd9+demo+disc

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page