Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 461 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 359Likes
post #13801 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
good or bad depends on what the goal is, I'd say yours looks a shade on the dead side. If you want a reference then tou can look for things like EBU3276 calculators which tend to show target times in the 0.3-0.4s range for normal sized rooms.
For T30?

IMO, T30 and its cousins dont have much to say about small rooms. And they have even less to say whether when music is playing whether it sounds dead or not.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13802 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post
For T30?

IMO, T30 and its cousins dont have much to say about small rooms. And they have even less to say whether when music is playing whether it sounds dead or not.
Ok then we have two votes now. NO need to worry about this RT30 anymore.
post #13803 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Ok then we have two votes now. NO need to worry about this RT30 anymore.
Yes, let's move on, please. Plenty of other more relevant things to worry about.
post #13804 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Yes, let's move on, please. Plenty of other more relevant things to worry about.
Jerry you pointed out once to take Channel+Sub reading to see how they work together. Before that, I always used to take reading of each channel separately to see how that channel is working with sub.
Question: What's the difference b/w looking at a channel on its own vs channel+sub? Running only channel includes sub response so then why do we need to include sub as another channel?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center with sub.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	585377  

Last edited by SherazNJ; Yesterday at 02:22 PM.
post #13805 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Jerry you pointed out once to take Channel+Sub reading to see how they work together. Before that, I always used to take reading of each channel separately to see how that channel is working with sub.
Question: What's the difference b/w looking at a channel on its own vs channel+sub? Running only channel includes sub response so then why do we need to include sub as another channel?

You misunderstood. The proper procedure is to measure a specific channel, say the left speaker, with the speaker set to "small" and with a crossover. The sub, by virtue of bass management, receives the frequencies below the crossover, so the measurment results in a combined left+sub, and clearly shows the smoothness of the splice between the two.

It would be a mistake to add the LFE channel to the measurement, so don't know where you got that idea.
Alan P likes this.
post #13806 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Probably from misreading page 85 of the (new edition of the) guide.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...=bd9+demo+disc

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #13807 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You misunderstood. The proper procedure is to measure a specific channel, say the left speaker, with the speaker set to "small" and with a crossover. The sub, by virtue of bass management, receives the frequencies below the crossover, so the measurment results in a combined left+sub, and clearly shows the smoothness of the splice between the two.

It would be a mistake to add the LFE channel to the measurement, so don't know where you got that idea.
Thx for clarification.
post #13808 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Looks like you already got a response in the PSA thread: Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Have you tried Hop's suggestions? Your problem is not uncommon, and following the recommendation above often solves the issues you are encountering. As the I Ching says "perseverance furthers"
Yes I have tried it, twice on two different computers, a PC and laptop with the same results. I'm getting the same thing for the output device in the sound card preferences, HD audio 1 and 2. I just dojn't understand what else to do. My UMIK-1 is the default device and did the voice test so I know it's working. Why won't it recognize the UMIK-1? Any suggestions would be appreciated, sorry if I'm high jacking this thread.
post #13809 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Yes I have tried it, twice on two different computers, a PC and laptop with the same results. I'm getting the same thing for the output device in the sound card preferences, HD audio 1 and 2. I just dojn't understand what else to do. My UMIK-1 is the default device and did the voice test so I know it's working. Why won't it recognize the UMIK-1? Any suggestions would be appreciated, sorry if I'm high jacking this thread.
Do you have the umik checked in the asio driver settings? Make sure the icon next to it is lit up in asio. Otherwise, you could try uninstalling the umik and reinstalling it. Locate the umik in the sound devices, click preferences and uninstall driver. Restart computer, then plug mic in and reinstall. Also, make sure its set to the default device in the sound settings. Seems rew/ asio can be a bit buggy sometimes, at least for me

Last edited by mattdub1; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.
post #13810 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try disabling all other input devices. It solved the same problem for me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
To do this, right click the speaker icon, recording devices, right click on each device, choose disable, do this for all devices except the umik.

Last edited by glugus2000; Today at 08:02 AM. Reason: Add instructions.
post #13811 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
OK, let's do a quick review. Answer each question, please.

- In Windows Audio, under the Recording Devices, is the UMIK-1 listed? Is it set as the default recording device?
- On the Advanced tab, are both Exclusive Mode options checked? If so, uncheck them (mine are unchecked).
- On the Advanced tab for Playback Device (HDMI), is the output set to 16 bit, 48000Hz?
- By "Voice Test", do you mean the Windows Sound Recorder? If yes, we can rule out a faulty mic.
- What version of REW are you running?
- After launching REW and opening the ASIO Control Panel, is the UMIK-1 even listed?
- On the Soundcard Preferences screen, switch to the Java driver. Open the Input Device drop-down. Is the UMIK-1 listed?

OK, here is what I think is happening: there is another application running in Windows that is using the microphone. REW requires exclusive use of the mic, and if anything else is using it, then REW will show "Not Connected" in the Input Device drop-down. What else could be using the mic? Don't know, other than some laptops come pre-configured with a soundcard control program that may be in your Startup Programs that is grabbing the mic. I don't know what your Windows skills are, but I would look for something else that is using the mic, like a webcam app.

If you are a hacker, read this: http://www.7tutorials.com/set-window...-other-devices
post #13812 of 13813 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugus2000 View Post
Try disabling all other input devices. It solved the same problem for me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Tips like this are not very helpful unless you include some "how-to" steps. We don't know the OP's Windows skills.
post #13813 of 13813 Unread Today, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Tips like this are not very helpful unless you include some "how-to" steps. We don't know the OP's Windows skills.
Original post edited to add instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page